Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 AM

128 posts, read 403,180 times

Advertisements

My best friend in the office is having a terrible time with a coworker he works very close with. He is married and so is she. The problem is both of them are falling fast in love with each other. They are doing their best to try to keep their relationship professional but friendly but both of them are in loveless marriages and are just staying with their spouses for the kids.

Every time my friend talks to his coworker he just melts. He is just smitten by her. There is just so much chemistry and attraction. She seems just like the type of woman he always dreamed about being with. The conversation comes so easily, they have so much in common and the physical attraction is so strong. He could tell his woman friend at the office felt the same thing and he talked to her about it and confirmed that she is falling in love with him too. They agreed that becoming a couple was not practical so they promised that they would make every effort to stay formal to each other and not get to close. But so far it is not working and both of them just want to be together. But they can't.

Can two people who share incredible chemistry force each other not to fall deeply in love for practical reasons? Or is it a losing cause?

Have you ever been deeply attracted to someone who was also attracted to you but had to force your self to stay away for practicial reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
My best friend in the office is having a terrible time with a coworker he works very close with. He is married and so is she. The problem is both of them are falling fast in love with each other. They are doing their best to try to keep their relationship professional but friendly but both of them are in loveless marriages and are just staying with their spouses for the kids.

Every time my friend talks to his coworker he just melts. He is just smitten by her. There is just so much chemistry and attraction. She seems just like the type of woman he always dreamed about being with. The conversation comes so easily, they have so much in common and the physical attraction is so strong. He could tell his woman friend at the office felt the same thing and he talked to her about it and confirmed that she is falling in love with him too. They agreed that becoming a couple was not practical so they promised that they would make every effort to stay formal to each other and not get to close. But so far it is not working and both of them just want to be together. But they can't.

Can two people who share incredible chemistry force each other not to fall deeply in love for practical reasons? Or is it a losing cause?

Have you ever been deeply attracted to someone who was also attracted to you but had to force your self to stay away for practicial reasons?
Your friend is playing with fire. And people who play with fire usually get burned.

If he REALLY wants to stay married for his kids sakes he has to take action now to stop his downward spiral into an affair.

Yes, I was in this situation when I was much younger (not married, but he was). Before it got too serious we realized one of us had to quit their job - he volunteered to be the one as he was more easily employable in his position than I was in mine. We vowed to have no communication whatsoever, and never have. So, it can be done.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your friend is playing with fire. And people who play with fire usually get burned.

If he REALLY wants to stay married for his kids sakes he has to take action now to stop his downward spiral into an affair.

Yes, I was in this situation when I was much younger (not married, but he was). Before it got too serious we realized one of us had to quit their job - he volunteered to be the one as he was more easily employable in his position than I was in mine. We vowed to have no communication whatsoever, and never have. So, it can be done.
I agree. He needs to consider changing jobs, or getting transfered to another dept.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM

128 posts, read 403,180 times
Yes just quit and get a new job, sounds so simple in this economy!

But also if you are truly in love you will do almost everything to be together and will not be able to be apart, it is like a drug!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Well, where's your friend's self-control and discipline? He needs to remain focused on his job and not the woman.

You can't control him - only he can control himself. Both the people in the situation are adults (hopefully!) - and if they can't figure out boundaries at work, then they may be figuring out what the best employment job sites are - at home.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:

I imagine YOU are one of these people and you are looking for permission to indulge in infidelity.
The whole story makes me sick that anyone would want to walk into a situation like this with their eyes open with no thought to anyone but themselves.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:

But also if you are truly in love you will do almost everything to be together and will not be able to be apart, it is like a drug!
Exactly. Besides that, it seems to me that if he's in an unhappy marriage, she won't be the first or the last who strikes his fancy, so changing jobs just to avoid a woman is foolish.

IMO, "staying for the kids" means you're deferring responsibility and decisions you have to make. (Kids don't benefit from tense, unhappy parents who are using them as an excuse.) He either needs to work on his marriage so it's healthy or end the marriage. Living in a sort of limbo doesn't do anyone much good.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
I vote for changing jobs, changing shifts or getting a transfer to another department. The pull of mutual attraction is very powerful but this can only lead to trouble.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Well, where's your friend's self-control and discipline? He needs to remain focused on his job and not the woman.
Yeah, this is important. Self-control. Self-discipline. Your attention should be on the job, not on your personal life.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Well if both the marriages are messed up, maybe they should get divorced and if that is too scary a thought, then they should consider why they want to stay in a loveless marriage, and what is so scary about divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships