Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM

164 posts, read 568,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If you've ever noticed narcissists tend to be collective in nature. They like to associate only with the "very special" and "select" handful of people they know. But I'm wondering how do they tolerate the arrogance, lack of empathy, exploitativeness, and pomposity of their group? Has anyone seen how that works? I've also noticed that sometimes friends or family members will go to all lengths and bend over backward to defend, pamper, and protect a narcissist when they have done harm, neglect, discriminated, etc.
Narcissists always seek out people to gain something, whether it be status, money or ego feeding. People are objects to them. No gain, they will be gone and looking for another "object".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
I think you are wrong in your assessment on website users. Music and art is subjective. Many artists and musicians really admire their own work. Youtube and other websites are great places for people to share and or market what they have created for free. Artists and musicians have to start somewhere.

Narcissists are people that are manipulative, lack empathy, arrogant, exploitative, exaggerates, and obsessed with unlimited power, beauty, etc. It's a life-style, a philosophy, and a powerful coping mechanism.

A narcissistic attorney that is destructive to others and full of himself is really bad IMHO. Just because you have a fancy degree, status, and then bamboozle vulnerable people out of money and energy doesn't deserve honor or respect. That type of entitlement is destructive. Once people get a fancy degree or placed into a position of status all hell breaks loose in their mind. If you think an artist has a big ego. An attorney's ego is even larger and far more distorted and complex. They think they are God. Creator of all things and perfect in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Aren't most under 30 narcissists these days? I exaggerate, but it has never been easier to live inside your own ***hole! Chances are if you have a Facebook page, write blogs on the net, put videos on Youtube, and the king of all self obsession: TWITTER! you are narcissistic.

Hell, everyone I know who can strum a few chords on a guitar more-or-less believes they are rock stars. Fashion is another revealing area...

I've come to accept it. So if some dude is a successful attorney but waaay into himself, I'm OK with it. The rest are just fronting and fantasizing.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-21-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Actually people do lash out at narcissists. It makes sense doesn't it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if someone has punched a narcissist in their nose. It's a vicious cycle. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Yep, their dominant tactic is to try and turn the tables. It's NEVER their fault; tis the other guy. Or, if their behavior is blatantly and inexcusably vicious, it's still not their fault, the offended party did something that made the narcissist act in such a malignant fashion.

Narcissists Suck

Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM

Victims of narcissistic people don't take responsibility either. They have the victim entitlement. "I put up with this narcissist. He is all bad. I deserve honor. I'm all good." I've noticed that the victims don't ever look at themselves. When they point the finger at a narcissist they have three fingers pointing right back at them.

I know that mechanism. So when I was dealing with narcissists in my life. I always continued to look at myself to see how I could improve and deal with the depression and chronic frustration of manipulative and destructive people. It's survival mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You could always try acquiring enough self-confidence and ego to become one yourself, instead of complaining about what other people do.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM

That is a really good way to view the world. I am similar to you in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

i leave them be, and recognise that the world consists of all kinds of people.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,986,716 times
The only way that a "victim" from a narcissist doesn`t take responsibility is putting up with the crap. Other than that, the "victim" isn`t doing anything wrong. It has nothing to do with having 3 fingers pointed back at you thing. The narcissits is all bad..their evil. It can`t get any clearer than that...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

I'm not so sure arrogance, power hungry, and manipulativeness equals 100% evil. IMHO. It's a figment of your imagination unless the narcissist is plotting on having you murdered or physically maimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
fingers pointed back at you thing. The narcissits is all bad..their evil. It can`t get any clearer than that...

Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,986,716 times
Wow, I thought you knew what a narcissits was...you don`t have to murder to commit evil. The Bible makes that pretty clear.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
But looking out for yourself isn't really "evil".

Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,584,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wouldn't a narcissist seek out people who would feed their ego?
codependents usually, other than that power and prestige fluff their ego.

There greed is a defining attribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships