Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It is so annoying to get a message and go in to open up their profile only to see no Photo. If people can't show who they are because of certain jobs then they shouldn't be on there. I don't pay money to get messages from a person with no picture.

A Dating profile without a picture is a Resume without a Name and Address. Why be on the site if people can't see who you are?
because they want to get dates but are too ass ugly to show what they look like, with either no photo, or a photo from their HS prom in 1988 when they were young and attractive briefly in their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
You know this thread got me thinking, maybe i will take a different approach to dating sites. I think I will remove my pic and see what happens now.
Tea out my nose this morning after having been so royally entertained by yet another Grasshopper thread!

Yes, Grasshopper, I have no doubt that taking your picture off that dating site will make a big difference. That way potential responders won't be immediately distracted by your appearance and will go to your profile to determine how you might appeal to them. Given your impressive command of the English language and your diverse interests it's probably a fascinating read and the requests to meet you will come pouring in. A BRILLIANT thought! Do let us know the comparative results!

To the couple of contributors to this thread who suggested that TVSG might have better success trying out dating in the "real world" such as social gatherings, introductions from friends, etc., it's worth repeating that unfortunately he's quite the hermit and rarely travels any further distance than that between his job and his apartment and he has no friends. He's the sole male employee in an office full of women of all ages and even there has no luck either with friendships or referrals.

Great morning read!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know someone who has been a member of eharmony and they DO tell you everything before you sign up.

As for "may not be in your area," I believe you can indicate to eharmony how far is the furthest you are willing to travel to meet someone.

They do all the matching and they send you a handful of people they think you might get along with to choose from. You cannot search and pick someone to contact on your own.
As far as distance, the OP needs to meet someone with in walking distance, as he doesn't own a car. It's highly unlikely he will spend money to meet someone not living in his area.

Maybe he should start a dog walking service. His work would take him out and about, where he could meet local singles. Puppy dogs are babe magnets.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
because they want to get dates but are too ass ugly to show what they look like, with either no photo, or a photo from their HS prom in 1988 when they were young and attractive briefly in their lives
LOL! I know, right?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Well If i do rewspond to someone without a photo they better be attractive.
Are you awabbit?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Tea out my nose this morning after having been so royally entertained by yet another Grasshopper thread!

Yes, Grasshopper, I have no doubt that taking your picture off that dating site will make a big difference. That way potential responders won't be immediately distracted by your appearance and will go to your profile to determine how you might appeal to them. Given your impressive command of the English language and your diverse interests it's probably a fascinating read and the requests to meet you will come pouring in. A BRILLIANT thought! Do let us know the comparative results!

To the couple of contributors to this thread who suggested that TVSG might have better success trying out dating in the "real world" such as social gatherings, introductions from friends, etc., it's worth repeating that unfortunately he's quite the hermit and rarely travels any further distance than that between his job and his apartment and he has no friends. He's the sole male employee in an office full of women of all ages and even there has no luck either with friendships or referrals.

Great morning read!
Not a good idea to mix business with your personal life, but other than that...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
As far as distance, the OP needs to meet someone with in walking distance, as he doesn't own a car. It's highly unlikely he will spend money to meet someone not living in his area.

Maybe he should start a dog walking service. His work would take him out and about, where he could meet local singles. Puppy dogs are babe magnets.

Now this made me HOWL with laughter. Puppies and dogs need to be walked in rain or shine, hot weather and cold, mosquitoes or no. Besides, you want him to WALK?

He's already said in the summer, he doesn't show his face before dark (mosquitoes and the fear of sunstroke, yanno); and don't forget the cancelled date because it was raining (no umbrella and his feet would get wet due to no boots); it was too cold, too medium, too much pollen, not enough pollen, the bad knee AND the ankle causing a limp in the same "can't make a date" thread; the baseball game is on, buses don't run this late and taxi is out because that's too expensive (I KNOW there's taxis in Philly because I have taken them), etc. ad nauseam

I don't think he could do a plant watering service either unless it was right in his building - see above.

He's fine sticking to his "dating when there's no sports on tv (which is really never) or cable is broken.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
The profiles with no photos I always ignored I just get annoyed when I receive a email saying someone left me a message and when i look at their profile i see no photo
Why does it matter what they look like? Does it somehow change what they said?

If a "10" says she'd like to meet, is is somehow different than a "2" saying the same thing?

Personally? To me, probably about 99% of women fall into the 7-8 range.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
It is so annoying to get a message and go in to open up their profile only to see no Photo. If people can't show who they are because of certain jobs then they shouldn't be on there. I don't pay money to get messages from a person with no picture.

A Dating profile without a picture is a Resume without a Name and Address. Why be on the site if people can't see who you are?
If they did that then all the fatties and uggos wouldn't get any attention and wouldn't be able to trick people into going out with them. Fact of the matter is people go by looks first on those dating sites in most cases. There's a lot of research that supports this too. It's the same effect that happens in bars and clubs. The more choice people have the more they resort to being "shallow" and going by looks first. Worse still they're finding is that superficial traits become the most important things people select for, so yes compatibility might weigh on their decision to meet someone, but it pales in comparison. This is one of the big reasons not to even bother with online dating.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:44 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why does it matter what they look like? Does it somehow change what they said?

If a "10" says she'd like to meet, is is somehow different than a "2" saying the same thing?

Personally? To me, probably about 99% of women fall into the 7-8 range.
LOL a very crude way of putting it...but I'd have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships