Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times

Advertisements

While visiting my parents this weekend, my BF asked my dad for permission to propose to me (the things you overhear in a small house with paper thin walls!). Now, we've been talking about getting married for the last six months or so and I wasn't surprised by the intention to propose soon, but I was surprised that he asked my dad for permission because I think that's pretty old fashioned and I didn't think men did that anymore. I'm obviously excited because my BF is the love of my life and the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, but there's the small, feminist part of me that feels like my dad's permission shouldn't matter either way. My dad was clearly very happy and flattered- his loud "I'd be honored to have you as a son in law" was what caught my attention in the first place and made me realize what they were talking about, but I wonder what would have happened if my dad had said no.

I'm curious about the thought process of asking a father for his daughter's hand. I can't ask my boyfriend because I am not supposed to know yet, so I am turning to City Data- guys, would you ask your girlfriend's dad for permission and why? What if he said no? Dads, what would your reaction be towards your future son in law? Women, given that we're taught to be independent and self reliant, how would you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
While visiting my parents this weekend, my BF asked my dad for permission to propose to me (the things you overhear in a small house with paper thin walls!). Now, we've been talking about getting married for the last six months or so and I wasn't surprised by the intention to propose soon, but I was surprised that he asked my dad for permission because I think that's pretty old fashioned and I didn't think men did that anymore. I'm obviously excited because my BF is the love of my life and the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, but there's the small, feminist part of me that feels like my dad's permission shouldn't matter either way. My dad was clearly very happy and flattered- his loud "I'd be honored to have you as a son in law" was what caught my attention in the first place and made me realize what they were talking about, but I wonder what would have happened if my dad had said no.

I'm curious about the thought process of asking a father for his daughter's hand. I can't ask my boyfriend because I am not supposed to know yet, so I am turning to City Data- guys, would you ask your girlfriend's dad for permission and why? What if he said no? Dads, what would your reaction be towards your future son in law? Women, given that we're taught to be independent and self reliant, how would you feel about this?
Since you aren't a man, or a father, you cannot appreciate this little exchange the way you should.

Your guy was showing extreme respect for your father, something you should be overjoyed about.

This is not about your father truly giving permission This is about your guy saying to your dad, hey, I know Stina is your crown jewel, more precious to you than your own life. I now love her too with my entire being and want to spend my life loving her and taking care of her as well as you have.

It's a respect thing, a way to acknowledge the depth of his feelings for you. Don't go all feminazi over such an awesome show of respect and man to man moment.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:

I think it's very sweet and respectful, and admirable. I always admired a guy who can be himself regardless of what's in and what's not, who doesn't care what the world thinks. That's more manly to me than bad boys going around flexing their muscles trying to show what bad boys they are. I wouldn't over analyze it, just count your blessings and be happy. Best wishes to you!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
I think it's very old school... I guess it could be appreciated but you're an adult and so is she.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Being the old fuddy duddy that i am, all 3 of my daughters beaus asked my permission. 1 asked at the 19th hole and the other 2 asked while we were fishing. I gave all 3 my blessing but asked the one wanting to marry my youngest to please wait 1 year to marry so she could finish her nursing degree. It didnt surprise me too much that they asked since all 3 of the young men knew that I had raised my daughters as a single dad and therefore had a VERY strong bond with my girls. I have no idea what would have happened had I said no. They probably would have eloped and I would have loved them anyway! Do you realize how much fishin gear a dad can buy when he isnt buying toilet paper and tampons for 3 daughters any more?????????? Take my daughters pleeeeez!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
He's just trying to score major browny points with your old man. Nothing wrong with that, I would love if my daughter's boyfriend asks me for her hand. I would give him an answer that will def throw him off, just for laughs.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
On the one hand, it is kind of sweet and old-school, but on the other, it does smack of the olden days when getting married was an exchange of the woman as property. I'm close with my dad, but I'm no daddy's girl, so I have a feeling my dad would react pretty much the same way yours did, probably adding "you'll have to ask her, since I have no say in the matter."

Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On the one hand, it is kind of sweet and old-school, but on the other, it does smack of the olden days when getting married was an exchange of the woman as property. I'm close with my dad, but I'm no daddy's girl, so I have a feeling my dad would react pretty much the same way yours did, probably adding "you'll have to ask her, since I have no say in the matter."
Sounds like you're confusing two different societies and/or times because this way didn't mix with when/where marriages were prearranged. There was no asking in those cases, it just was. That makes me shudder a little but not this situation. I think there are still a lot of old-fashioned, respectful people around. They're just muffled by the in-crowds.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:

I took a day off from work, drove over to my father-in-law's house, told him I loved his daughter and asked for his permission to marry his daughter. At first, I caught him off guard, but I repeated the question and got the yes. Why is it important?, well, if you are marrying someone, you are in essence marrying into the family and you want acceptance. It would not be a good situation, if you married someone who's family detests you, they could make you and your intended's life miserable. I've seen that too.

BTW - Congratulations!!!

Last edited by FrmlyBklyn; 05-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: spell check

Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Since you aren't a man, or a father, you cannot appreciate this little exchange the way you should.

Your guy was showing extreme respect for your father, something you should be overjoyed about.

This is not about your father truly giving permission This is about your guy saying to your dad, hey, I know Stina is your crown jewel, more precious to you than your own life. I now love her too with my entire being and want to spend my life loving her and taking care of her as well as you have.

It's a respect thing, a way to acknowledge the depth of his feelings for you. Don't go all feminazi over such an awesome show of respect and man to man moment.
I do know that my BF was not literally asking permission as in he would break up with me if my dad said no, but I honestly didn't know that men asked for permission at all. I understand that it's a sign of love and respect, it's just something that I thought had gone by the wayside in the wake of feminism. I thought it might be a generational thing- I have several male friends that have gotten engaged over the last year and none of them asked permission (two of them didn't even meet the families til after the proposal). Just out of curiosity, how would you have felt if they had proposed first, then talked to you later? That seems to be more common in my generation.

It also apparently sparked a great conversation- I finally had to interrupt them three hours later to get some info about our flight the next day and their conversation was still going strong. When my dad took us to the airport, he and my BF hugged for the first time instead of shaking hands, as they have on all of our other visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships