Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Help me to understand why the Jewish religion is so special above other religions such that it becomes more understandable for them to be choosy. I think trying to integrate with a strict Buddhist, Catholic, or even a cult belief would be equally daunting.

Basically, why should I extend my understanding for Jews who would reject me because I am not Jewish (in a religious sense), more so than for other religious groups?

You don't need to extend your understanding. If you want to get into a religious debate, you can DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Max's Mama didn't say that. She talked about Judaism because she is familiar with that religion. Orthodox Judaism does involve a certain lifestyle that goes beyond regular prayer and going to the synagogue. Converting to Judaism is very difficult. Those are just facts. Religious Jews can be as "choosy" as they want with their religion; they don't have to compare their policies with those of Buddhists or Catholics to make sure Judaism isn't any tougher. It's their religion, they make the rules, period. I don't get what your preoccupation is with Jews.
I agree, no need to focus on Judaism. Strict fundamental faiths all LIVE their religion. They don't just practice it once a week in a church setting. So we could for instance substitute Amish for Judaism in the scenario of how someone religious would reject others not of their faith as potential mate material

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Max's Mama didn't say that. She talked about Judaism because she is familiar with that religion. Orthodox Judaism does involve a certain lifestyle that goes beyond regular prayer and going to the synagogue. Converting to Judaism is very difficult. Those are just facts. Religious Jews can be as "choosy" as they want with their religion; they don't have to compare their policies with those of Buddhists or Catholics to make sure Judaism isn't any tougher. It's their religion, they make the rules, period. I don't get what your preoccupation is with Jews.
Spasibo Krasavica!!!

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you are suggesting that I have a "preoccupation with Jews". I'm also not trying to start a debate over religion. I'm just wondering what it is that makes it "way more complicated when it comes to this particular religion" versus any other religion, because I'm not sure that I see this especially when you compare various orthodox religions of the world. In other religions, is it less of a "long process where you have to show dedication and true faith"? Whys is it that it "would be a lot more understandable for someone who follows Judaism not to want to date someone who doesn't."

I'm just using the quotations from Max's Mama so there would be no understanding as to what she said, since you also asserted that I am misunderstanding what she said. I never said that Jews can't make up their own religion or need to compare with other tough religions. They can do whatever they want. I find it strange how defensive the responses are to my question.

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Being Jewish is not necessarily connected to religion. It's ethnicity. You can be Jewish and follow other religions (like me) or don't follow any at all. That's why so many Jewish men want a Jewish wife. They want someone with the same ethnicity so it can continue to another generation.

In terms of kids having Jewish friends, that's odd... I don't think my son has a single Jewish friend in the area.
Those were the next words out of my mouth.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I've never understood this either. Unless, as StinaTado posted, you were already interested in and exploring that religion, it just seems like an empty gesture; you don't really believe, you're just doing it so you can marry the person, and to placate them and/or their family. If your religion is that important to you, it doesn't seem like that situation would satisfy you or your family members.

I'm not religious and I wouldn't convert, BTW.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I agree, no need to focus on Judaism. Strict fundamental faiths all LIVE their religion. They don't just practice it once a week in a church setting. So we could for instance substitute Amish for Judaism in the scenario of how someone religious would reject others not of their faith as potential mate material
This makes more sense to me, thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks for continuing to try to explain...so, Israel doesn't count?
Israel (the way it exists today) is a very new country. Jews had been scattered all over the world and didn't belong to a country for majority of their existence. I think that's part of the reason why so many Jews want to marry Jews. To preserve the ethnicity. When you spread out all over the world, it's easy to marry someone outside (like I did for example). My husband is 100% Italian.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I'm not sure why you are suggesting that I have a "preoccupation with Jews". I'm also not trying to start a debate over religion. I'm just wondering what it is that makes it "way more complicated when it comes to this particular religion" versus any other religion, because I'm not sure that I see this especially when you compare various orthodox religions of the world. In other religions, is it less of a "long process where you have to show dedication and true faith"? Whys is it that it "would be a lot more understandable for someone who follows Judaism not to want to date someone who doesn't."

I'm just using the quotations from Max's Mama so there would be no understanding as to what she said, since you also asserted that I am misunderstanding what she said.

Because if you read Torah, Miyu, it is specifically instructed for Jewish to ONLY MARRY JEWS.
Buddhists can marry non-buddhists. Same for Catholics or Christians. Gospel doesn't make those type of restrictions.

Do some reading!

If you want to convert to Christianity, you need to believe in Christ's salvation and get baptized. That's all you need!!! It's more about faith than the works. It's different for Judaism.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASweetGirl4U2Know View Post
Okay,you really like a girl/guy or you're in love with a guy/girl who happens to be Jewish,but you're not Jewish(It could be any religious,I just choose Judaism) he/she tells you that you're not the man/woman for him/her because you're not Jewish,unless you convert to Judaism. What would you do?
I would not convert. I could see some areas where I could make some gestures with religion, but a legitimate conversion is out of the question nor would I expect an SO to convert to my religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships