Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 PM

143 posts, read 262,691 times

Advertisements

Okay,you really like a girl/guy or you're in love with a guy/girl who happens to be Jewish,but you're not Jewish(It could be any religious,I just choose Judaism) he/she tells you that you're not the man/woman for him/her because you're not Jewish,unless you convert to Judaism. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASweetGirl4U2Know View Post
Okay,you really like a girl/guy or you're in love with a guy/girl who happens to be Jewish,but you're not Jewish(It could be any religious,I just choose Judaism) he/she tells you that you're not the man/woman for him/her because you're not Jewish,unless you convert to Judaism. What would you do?
Hypothetically (since I am not single now), if she were hot like the sun, I'd convert to Judaism in a heartbeat.

I'd be a secret catholic too, because my heart lies in Catholicism. I won't mind pretending to break bread every passover. The whole world knows I'm a bread junkie

Mazel tov, babes!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
i wouldn't let her force my hand. i'd stall, and give her plenty of time to change her decision. i'd stubbornly insist on framing the real issue as her decision whether or not to marry a Jew, as opposed to my decision whether or not to convert.

when push came to shove, i'd smile and wish her good luck finding a nice Jewish boy.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,183 times
1st, I'll say no, thanks.

2nd, I'll kick him out for good.

I was raised by a Muslim father and a Christian mother, married for 43 years and both very deeply religious people. And while they had issues just like any other marriage, none of it was because of their faith or religion. Religion should never be an obstacle when two people are in love.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
Well, I am going to marry a Jewish man and I'm in the process of converting, so the answer is- yes, I'd convert. I actually started exploring Judaism before we got together, so I didn't convert just to marry him. I didn't have any interest in the religion I was raised in and it was an easy decision.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:59 PM

213 posts, read 416,824 times
I'd convert because I'm not religious and if there is something stellar about that person I'd be willing to bend on the religion issue because I don't feel strong enough about it to make an issue out of it.

Last edited by genx; 06-01-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
I suppose it depends on the exact circumstances, but generally, it would be a mistake.

Conversion would be no big deal if the person just wants you to formally join the faith without really changing your life, but then you have to wonder: if your SO isn't observant, why is it so important to him/her that you convert? It seems kind of shallow and unintelligent, and it would be a turn-off for me.

On the other hand, you have a real, honest-to-goodness conversion, after which you marry a deeply religious and observant person. The shallowness problem is no longer there, but it is more than made up for by a different set of complications. Orthodox Judaism, for example, isn't just a faith -- it's a whole lifestyle. It's a religion that has to be observed every minute of every day. From keeping kosher to going to the mikveh to observing the Sabbath to daily prayers and blessings, etc. -- you have to throw away your entire life and adapt someone else's as your own. This can be very hard. It involves a destruction of one's identity and living someone else's life -- too big a sacrifice, in my opinion, just to get the guy. If you really believe, then by all means. But marriages built on huge, one-sided sacrifices are severely handicapped from the start.

This thread brought back memories of someone I knew in childhood, a friend of my mother's. For several years, this woman dated a guy who followed some Eastern tradition, which involved him being vegan, sticking to a very strict exercise regimen, and drinking his own urine every morning. Yes, you read that correctly -- urine therapy. He was extremely handsome, athletic, and intelligent -- and he told his girlfriend that he could only marry a woman who embraced his lifestyle. Because he was such a great catch, and the girlfriend was going into her late thirties, she obliged. And they got married. But of course, the wedding is the end of the road only in romcoms. A sacrifice like that takes a lifetime to complete -- a lifetime full of drinking one's own morning excretions under a watchful eye of the husband drinking his. It never, ever gets easier, which the woman found out to her chagrin and bewilderment.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,705,040 times
I agree with some of you...only if the girl is SUPER HOT, I would convert

Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,164 times
http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif (broken link)

Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif (broken link)
Funny thing, she started doing that after the wedding. Before the wedding, during the trial period, she always managed to keep it down, though just barely. Afterwards, she would always get violently ill. I guess having a goal reachable in the near future makes it easier. Once that goal is achieved, maintaining the lifestyle becomes a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships