Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times

Advertisements

I'm a tease. Not sexually, just playful but in a dry sense of humor way and people just don't seem to get me, even family--most of them. They take me seriously.

What's something about you that people just don't get--misunderstand, misinterpret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
My introversion. I'm not a big talker, especially in work situations. Aside from creative brainstorming sessions, most of my work communications in office situations went along the lines of, "Good morning, how was your weekend, great, mine too, kthxbai." I'm the kind of person who asks, "what do you need and when do you need it?" and then I expect people to get out of my way while I make it happen.

However, my last boss was a raging extrovert who also happened to be incompetent at her work, socially inept, and, heaven help me, a micromanager. Nearly every day, "You're quiet. Are you okay? Is something wrong? Are you ill?"

This was followed by lunacy like, "I see the light on your phone is on. How come you haven't gotten your message out? I need you to read this sentence. Is it okay? Yes, I know I've used the word incorrectly, but I like the sound of it so I would appreciate it if you left it in. Your light is on. Oh, I see you got your message out. Who was it? What did they want? I just sent you an email. Just now. Did you read it? What do you think? I expect to have access to you at all times. You're quiet. Are you okay? Is something wrong? Are you ill?"

JUST SHUT UP AND GO AWAY AND LET ME DO MY WORK, YOU HARRIDAN FROM HADES!

Yeah. No. I quit, and I freelance at home now.

Never again.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
^^^ That made me laugh! Thanks.

My issue is the same as the OP. I have a bizarre sense of humor - some call it dry wit -- and it's often loaded with sarcasm. Most people don't get it. Luckily my husband does.

Watch out, TN - I'm bringing my humor with me.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
^^^ That made me laugh! Thanks.

My issue is the same as the OP. I have a bizarre sense of humor - some call it dry wit -- and it's often loaded with sarcasm. Most people don't get it. Luckily my husband does.

Watch out, TN - I'm bringing my humor with me.
LOL Me too. And I totally relate to the introvert thing. I got pegged anti-social at work because of it--behind my back, of course. Some were just too happy to tell me about it.

Yes, sarcasm, cynicism, that stuff. Not too much, just enough.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I'm a tease. Not sexually, just playful but in a dry sense of humor way and people just don't seem to get me, even family--most of them. They take me seriously.

What's something about you that people just don't get--misunderstand, misinterpret?
I'm misunderstood 100% of the time.

To start, guys randomly take me for a liberal and show their progressiveness off and how glad they are that a black man is the US President for the first time ever.

Are they trying to insinuate that I feel alienated but their pep talk is supposed to relieve me?

Second, most of my brilliant jokes go haywire, because they are misunderstood all the time.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
LOL Me too. And I totally relate to the introvert thing. I got pegged anti-social at work because of it--behind my back, of course. Some were just too happy to tell me about it.

Yes, sarcasm, cynicism, that stuff. Not too much, just enough.
I'm a quieter guy at work, on the introverted side too. So I often wonder if people misunderstand me as well.

I find it very annoying how it seems like extroverted type of people can't seem to fathom how someone can be quiet and introverted. I have no problem accepting/understanding them.

Need to start passing out that article "Caring for your introvert."

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a quieter guy at work, on the introverted side too. So I often wonder if people misunderstand me as well.

I find it very annoying how it seems like extroverted type of people can't seem to fathom how someone can be quiet and introverted. I have no problem accepting/understanding them.

Need to start passing out that article "Caring for your introvert."
I'm lmao. I like that.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I have the "leave me alone" problem too. I'm especially bad in the morning about not wanting to be bothered. When people get to know me, I often hear that they thought I was a *****. Oh well.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Why I put so much effort into my job, why I care so much.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
I'm definitely misunderstood, but it's all my doing. Only the people I feel closest to get to see all sides of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships