Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,123,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Showing your lack of psychiatric knowledge!

The act of suicide is that of an individual whose mind is temporarily unbalanced due to a lot of reasons.... despair... deep depression.

I work on a helpline and can tell you I have never dealt with anyone who speaks of hatred in the way you have outlined it above.

So perhaps you will tell us where your position on this comes from?
From 20+ years as a psychologist, often dealing with young adult suicide attempts, during the times I engaged in social work. I retired in 1989. But at the time that is what I found most often. Hatred over a failed relationship. My best treatment was to enroll them in anger management classes.

Granted the most completed suicides are in the 65+ age bracket and for them depression or terminal illness is the primary cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,551,597 times
I think they die. Whether or not they go to hell, I don't know. I guess it depends on the situation.
I think it can be a selfish act. People who lose loved ones to suicide are left with a lot of pain to deal with.

Moderator cut: edit: discussing moderator actions

Unless one of my kids was playing a prank...Lord, I hope not! -_-

Last edited by june 7th; 01-07-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Please DM mod for more clarification. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Showing your lack of psychiatric knowledge!

The act of suicide is that of an individual whose mind is temporarily unbalanced due to a lot of reasons.... despair... deep depression.

I work on a helpline and can tell you I have never dealt with anyone who speaks of hatred in the way you have outlined it above.

So perhaps you will tell us where your position on this comes from?
A few studies regarding the groups I had the most experience with. Adolescents and young adults.

Quote:
Anger can play an important role in adolescent suicidal behavior However, there is disagreement over the relative importance of internalized versus externalized anger The present study evaluated mode of anger expression in 104 adolescent suicide attempters and 323 high school students. The suicide attempters also completed measures of depression and hopelessness. Results indicated that suicidal adolescents displayed an increased likelihood of experiencing anger, reported significantly higher levels of both internalized and externalized anger, and displayed reduced tendencies for impulse control. Hierarchical multiple regression analyses found that the general inclination to experience anger was most closely related to externalized anger and poor impulse control. Among the adolescent suicide attempters, depression and hopelessness were related to internalized but not externalized anger Thus, it may be useful to assess the mode of anger expression when evaluating adolescents for suicide risk.
SOURCE

Quote:
Previous studies of the relationship between anger, anger expression, and suicidal behavior have been largely cross-sectional and have yielded mixed findings. In a prospective, naturalistic study, we examined how trait anger and anger expression influenced the likelihood of suicide attempts among 180 adolescents followed for up to 13.3 years after discharge from an inpatient psychiatry unit. Results showed that higher trait anger and anger expressed outwardly over the follow-up was related to increased likelihood of suicide attempts among males. For girls, trait anger and both the inward and outward expression of anger moderated the risk for suicide attempts associated with major depression. These results are interpreted in light of theory regarding behavioral activation and behavioral inhibition systems.
SOURCE

Quote:
ANGER the human suicide bomb

Anger has always been a human being’s major weakness that forbids him/her of being successful in life. Anger is as disastrous for a human being as a human suicide bomb. It destroys the person completely like a human suicide bomb.
We usually see many people who indulge into fighting on very trivial issues. Many cases come in news where juveniles indulge in horrid acts of killing on trivial issues like jealousy, etc. The recent murder case of DU student is not hidden from anybody where a boy shot a girl just because she was not interested in him. This is a most horrified case where anger in the veil of a human suicide bomber destroyed the happiness of two families……... (http://www.admissionjankari.com/Articles-Details-of-Can-thinking-big-lead-to-success? - broken link)….
SOURCE

Quote:
Anger turned inwards becomes repressed anger, and the reality is that anyone who is angry with his or herself does not realize it. This form of anger is dangerous. It can lead to depression self abuse or self injury, and suicide. If you become angry easily, you may be carrying repressed anger.
My Personal Story

I will describe personal incidents from my childhood hoping that it will help you in understanding your own situation. Certain situations from my youth led to buried feelings of anger which I didn't realize I was carrying.
I can remember as a child feeling that I wished I were dead. It resulted from the rejection I felt both from my mother and father (who separated when I was three), and my older sisters. Because my mother was so busy trying to make ends meet for three children and herself, she had no time for me.
Feelings Of Rejection

The feelings of rejection and lack of love resulted from being pushed away by my mother and my older sisters. Being often told that I was a "brat" and a "nuisance" led to feelings of anger and rejection. Since I was not allowed to express my emotions to anyone in my family, I buried them.
There were times I wished I had other parents, ones who loved me. My feelings of rejection often led to thoughts of suicide.
SOURCE

Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,845,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In Islam we do not tithe nor financially support any Central religious headquarters. Yet, we still see suicide as a grave sin and since the person is dead they can not repent of it before dieing.
Sure they could. Many people who are suicidal torment themselves quite a bit before eventually biting the bullet. If nothing else, they often feel guilty for hurting the ones they love.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Sure they could. Many people who are suicidal torment themselves quite a bit before eventually biting the bullet. If nothing else, they often feel guilty for hurting the ones they love.
However, if a person was truly repentant they would not carry through with the suicide.

I would like to emphasize, that while a suicide will most likely die before repenting, it does not mean they will face eternal damnation, there can be mitigating factors that brought about the suicide and they would find mercy and forgiveness.

In Islam only the sin of shirk is unforgivable.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,043,447 times
Go behind of veil of the spirit and go the mercy seat of the Lord Jesus Christ who is called by God to judge the quick and the dead ...... See this person who commits suicide was a Christian who went mad insane then the Lord will say `you will be better here as this is a far better place than the world and its deformities.........See another person is a sane Believer in Christ and anointed by Holy Spirit which commits suicide.....Lord Jesus Christ has to judge this person as it is a sin to murder himself and if he murdered himself, he probably never repented for this sin ... I cannot judge this person for Jesus as that is His position ..........See another person does not know Lord Jesus or never interested in Jesus and His promises ... Jesus must Judge this person who does not know him and his hope can be useless. But Jesus will have to judge this person .... when ever a person passes from this life on earth , other religions or not They will be sent to Jesus who will judge them ..........

Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,636,456 times
Quote:

In Islam only the sin of shirk is unforgivable.
What does that mean?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
What do you think happens to people who commit suicide?
We will continuously and mercilessly tease and harass them for being "wusses" in heavenly locker rooms and playgrounds, until god comes and lectures us for doing it. Then when god isn't looking we'll do it again.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
What does that mean?
Shirk is the worshiping of any God(swt) in addition to or instead of the One God(swt)

The reason it is unforgivable is because the worshiper has awareness of the one God(swt) but instead places his faith in another. It is like knowing a Big Mac is from MacDonalds, but the person insists on trying to order one at Luigi's Pizza.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,636,456 times
Quote:
Shirk is the worshiping of any God(swt) in addition to or instead of the One God(swt)

The reason it is unforgivable is because the worshiper has awareness of the one God(swt) but instead places his faith in another. It is like knowing a Big Mac is from MacDonalds, but the person insists on trying to order one at Luigi's Pizza.
Thanks, that's the first time I've heard the word "shirk" used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality