Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered how other religions vary. I am a Christian (Baptist to be exact) but I would like to know how other denomination's beliefs vary from mine...whether you be Catholic, Lutheran, another Baptist (even the differences between Southern Baptist, First Baptist and so on), Jewish (and even the Atheists and Agnostics) and any others I have not mentioned.
PLEASE BE NICE!
Please understand I am not asking for religious debate (or bashing) or anything else that may cause hurt feelings. I am just looking for honest input of the differences in what others believe. Please do not make any posts/replies that are going to just "stir things up". Please just give detailed info on what you believe and maybe why.
Being Baptist, we believe in the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), we believe that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. We have communion once a month which we do in rememberance of what Jesus did for us. We believe in Baptism once we are saved and have a clear understanding of Jesus and what Baptism is. Baptism, to us, is purely symbolic of the washing away of sin (and putting on the "new man" so to speak) and has no "saving power". We believe in order to be saved, you must pray, acknowledge that you are a sinner and repent (turn away from sin).
Again, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT beat each other up for their beliefs. If you must comment on other's beliefs, please keep it KIND and light spirited. Also, for anyone that is willing to post their beliefs here, please understand that there IS always that chance of someone rebelling against you, therefore bare this in mind when replying and try not to take it personally and fall into the trap of the argument.
Thank you to ALL that get involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
I think I posted this somewhere else, but I'll throw it out there again.

I am basically agnostic, meaning I don't know whether there is a higher power (god or gods) or not. I like to think of myself as a logical person who arrives at my beliefs through reason, so I have trouble accepting things on faith.

That being said, I can't personally say outright there is not some higher power either. One thing comes to mind (and this is what I posted before)...what happened before the big bang? I mean, before all the matter in the universe was bound up in a infinitely small, but infinitely massive, point...what happened? Essentially what happened before time zero, the birth of our universe? What got us to that point and got "the whole ball of wax rolling?"

I don't have the answer to these questions, but it is something to ponder. The ultimate unknown. But remember that everything in our universe runs on time. Time is the great equalizer. People, animals, plants, planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies, everything is born, grows old and dies. We know the same thing basically occurred with our universe. So what happened before our universe was born?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I was raised RC, as a child I was taught in Sunday school that RC was the only true religion, even had some nun who would teach that merely stepping foot in another church could damn you to hell.

That's what we were taught and there's probably nothing that could have been more effective in driving me from organized religion.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:00 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
[quote=kawgpz550;598135]

Being Baptist, we believe in the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), we believe that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. We have communion once a month which we do in rememberance of what Jesus did for us. We believe in Baptism once we are saved and have a clear understanding of Jesus and what Baptism is. Baptism, to us, is purely symbolic of the washing away of sin (and putting on the "new man" so to speak) and has no "saving power". We believe in order to be saved, you must pray, acknowledge that you are a sinner and repent (turn away from sin).

Yes this is what I believe also. I was raised in a Christian home which I am so grateful for with two wonderful examples of how to live a Christian life.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Wonderful thread going here! I am member of tne Church of Christ as described in the bible. I respect all of the different religions, because the bottom line is we all believe..

Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
I'm atheist.
I believe in nothing.Why? There's no scientific evidence to prove the exist of God.
And my family is atheist as well.We don't think religious belief really necessary.

When I got older,I found a lot of people are christian.That's alright and sounds good.It's really nice to have some strong belief.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Wonderful thread going here! I am member of tne Church of Christ as described in the bible. I respect all of the different religions, because the bottom line is we all believe..

"respect all of the different relgions"

WONDERFUL IDEA!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
I grew up in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Of course as the name implies, we believe that Saturday is the appointed day of worship, in baptism by immersion, the second coming of Jesus, Grace and Righteousness by faith, the Trinity, and prophecy.

I must confess that I am a nominally practicing SDA now - I've had some disgreement with some of their "standards".

Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Thankyou to the OP for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses and hope to read more! Great thread!

The Articles of Faith of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghist.
We believe that men will be punished for their own sine, and not for Adam's transgression.
We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
We belive in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to edure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

That is what I believe with all my heart.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
I attend an interdenominational charismatic church. Our theology is very much like the baptists (salvation through faith in the atoning work of Christ) except that we believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit which are discussed in the Bible are available for believers today. We also do not believe, as most baptists do "once saved, always saved." ( We do believe in a believer's security in Christ, but we also think you can choose to walk away from grace and that some do.) My background growing up was baptist. I began attending an episcopal charismatic group with my husband in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity