Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times

Advertisements

I just started following some of the posts after a long vacation away from the forum. I am puzzled by something that seems to be common place now. So please excuse my dumb question.

What does UR and ET stand for when discussing different types of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I just started following some of the posts after a long vacation away from the forum. I am puzzled by something that seems to be common place now. So please excuse my dumb question.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Can someone enlighten us both???

Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:

UR stands for Universalist I think. And ET stands for...extraterrestrials? Idk but it's a derogatory term coined by Atheist. Oh yeah I remember now. ET stands for End-timers. That is so stupid. Like seriously, they should grow up.

Oh and kudos to you for taking a vacation AWAY from this forum. Goodness knows a lot more people on here need one! That's what I do. I stay away from awhile and come and back and just do whatever. I don't even reply anymore to people. I'm kinda selfish but I don't care.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:13 PM

494 posts, read 890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
UR stands for Universalist I think. And ET stands for...extraterrestrials? Idk but it's a derogatory term coined by Atheist. Oh yeah I remember now. ET stands for End-timers. That is so stupid. Like seriously, they should grow up.
You don't know, but since you think it might be derogatory, you immediately jump to the erroneous conclusion that OF COURSE it MUST be atheists who came up with it. Nice. Real nice. But utterly wrong.

Like seriously, you should grow up.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I think ET stands for Eternal Torment. I believe it refers to those that believe in Hell - as opposed to the Universalists (UR) who think all will be saved. I could be wrong - but this seems to be what I have gleaned from my time on here!
And I'm pretty sure neither of these terms were coined by atheists. The URs and the ETs use these terms to refer to themselves.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:

In a broad sense the ET folk are just regular Christians who figure the Bible is true.

The Universalists are of the opinion that there is no hell, everyone will be saved whether they like it or not and the Bible is in error/mistranslated where it contradicts their theology.

IMO they have ruined the Christianity section of this site. You can't discuss anything of God without them stepping in and proclaiming Universalism as the new *black*.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

IMO they have ruined the Christianity section of this site. You can't discuss anything of God without them stepping in and proclaiming Universalism as the new *black*.
You and I are on opposite ends of the religious spectrum so it's not surprising that I find Universalists to be a breath of fresh air.

I sure didn't know UR was Universalist. I never would have figured that out!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 PM

360 posts, read 444,545 times
I think UR, more specifically, stands for Universal Reconciliation, as opposed to Eternal Torment. I'm curious how people get "UR" out of "Universalist"? Makes no sense to me....

Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I see where both sides are coming from, but it is irritating that the Christianity section is largely about whether there is or isn't a Hell. It seems like there are more issues to Christianity than just that one.

Then again the general religion board is mostly "Bible literalism versus Rational Humanism" without much else ever being of interest. Although maybe that's inevitable. City-Data is maybe inherently a kind-of "X vs Y" board as the site is about comparisons. Even in other parts of the forum it's "New York City vs Los Angeles" or "The South vs the North" or "Rural vs Urban" or "Waffles vs Pancakes" or whatever.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I'm pretty sure it means Universal Reconciliation vs. Eternal Torment but then again, I could be wrong. I've tried to read some of the threads but I get frustrated with the run-on sentences, multi-colored quotes of the Bible, and varying font styles people use to make their points seem more viable. I've also noticed that the more fundamentalist and radically inane the arguments become, the more the posts look like a giant wall of rambling text.

I've begun to believe the UR vs. ET acronym actually means Unintelligible Rigmarole vs. Exegetical Twaddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality