Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

Indeed! That was extreme even for you, Sir Les. Your religion brings you little serenity, I can see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
He wasn't drunk yet, he just got home from work and grabbed a beer. Many in our neighborhood do not attend church even he has missed it, but they do bible readings often, he knows we don't go, but he does not know we are atheists, I think he just assumes everyone is a believer. I think he just thinks everyone thinks that way. I dont think he gets out of his circle much.

I think this is also the case. I think too you are mad at yourself for not saying anything. if it will bother you to continue not to say anything than you need to say something. if not let it pass. I would be inclined the next time he comes for a beer tell him he needs to pay a buck for it as his donation to the jewish american foundation. if he says you are kidding right? say no. he can make his choice to stay or leave. at 27 he is either stupid, insensitive or doesn't care, either way. if he wants to get in a conversation just tell him flat out you don't appreciate jokes about the holocaust or jewish people, just as you would not like to hear racial jokes. if he doesn't understand or gets offended, well you really have not lost much in the way of a good friend have you?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:41 PM

353 posts, read 552,409 times
I guess I'm the only one that thinks you need to lighten up. You don't even know what the joke was and your still offended.
As vague as your post was I don't see why anybody posting is taking a stand one way or another. He talked about Jesus, so what.
He made a joke that may or may not have been about the holocaust, so what.
You say he's a really nice guy but now because of a joke that may have been in bad taste your upset.
If you don't like to hear him talk about Jesus, tell him. If you find jokes offensive, tell him.
Why don't people just talk to each other. If he was some obnoxious drunk I'd understand but you said he's a nice guy. Politely tell him you don't like that type of behavior he'll stop. It's that simple.
Jokes are jokes and generally have no other significant meaning. The funniest people in the world are those that can laugh at themselves.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
June personally hates it when she encounters what you did, Nea. The reality is that just because someone is "educated" it in no way ensures that they are not ignorant, and insensitive, just the same. Sadly, there is no lack of either in this world.

As well, to those who are telling you to "lighten up" due to a "joke just being a joke" June would beg to differ. There is an old expression that goes something like "Much seriousness is said in jest" and June tends to feel that this is generally true, on ocassion. What is couched as humor is oftentime an insensitive window into the mind, heart, and soul of others....

June finds absolutely nothing of humor in regards to the type of joke your neighbor decided to tell. None. For reasons that she will hopefully highlight, below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post

And you hold some torch for them all..eh?

Ah...You say this and that...but what do you really do to honour and keep the dead or the living who were slaughtered or will be, or are now going to be, and or are supposedly sacred to you?

Not much!

And a Joke...is a Joke...

Like June said, "a joke is not just a joke." It is especially not a joke when it is at the expense of others, let alone an entire culture, ethnic group, or subculture of people. What it IS is a form of taking a passive aggressive "shot" at others.

As regards Sir Les's comment, above, asking what others are doing to honor and keep the dead/living from suffering from the same plight? June's answer/response would be as follows: Hopefully, their actions would start with not making a joke about something that is clearly not. For the life of June, she can't fathom whatever became of reverence, much less dignity and respect. --And in referring to "dignity and respect" she does not only mean dignity and respect for the target(s) of the alleged "joke" but self dignity and self respect on the part of the narrator of the supposed "joke."

Some things, when seen within an actual context, are simply not funny. To even belately joke about an entire culture's demise is anything but "funny." It's tragic.

Likewise, the fact that there are known atrocities that are going on right now, today, even as we all read this post is nonetheless NO excuse for a poorly crafted, disrespectful joke. One does not warrant the other, nor does one make the other permissible. Unless the author of the above post has personally been to Darfur and helped to rescue women and children who are being raped and slaughtered (over a very extended period of time, June might add) then she would somewhat question his motivation in writing the words he did. --Or perhaps the author of the above post devotes much volunteer portions of his time to working with, helping out the less fortunate, or perhaps it is the focus of his career? -If not, then June would wonder whether the words as written aren't somehow caustically shallow in nature...

It's one thing to expound about a "tragedy." It is another thing, altogether, to inadvertantly create yet another one by one's own words...

Quote:
I know, now I am just mad at myself for not at least letting him know, I think him and his belief is a pile of crap.
For what little it may be worth, after the fact, June wonders whether there isn't some way that you can belatedly approach this neighbor and express to him your feelings in a non-alienating, non-aggressive way. June says this as she wonders whether or not it might somehow help you in terms of the reaction you had, continue to have, in the aftermath of this individual's comments...If you feel comfortable enough in doing so, it could very well be as simple as the following: "Neighbor, remember what you were saying about the joke you told? I've been thinking about that, but in the context of the relatives in my own family that had died. I am just wondering --because you are our neighbor and friend-- whether perhaps your joke was just a bit 'over the top.' I am only mentioning it now, because it struck a chord with me, and I don't think you in any way meant to personally offend me, because you are my neighbor, and someone who I think of as a friend."

It's a 'neutral' type of response...And an honest one, June would think.

Quote:

And to Say I have pitty or remorse for them who died, and lived in that terrible day...while the very same thing is being done, by those who support it directly or indirectly is in my mind Hypocrital...and then to say Let us Hate this one or that one for making bad jolkes about the Human tragidy which is not only in the past...But is still going on today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...is it a Joke to say we are sorry , or we have remorse, when it is we who are in support of making it be?

Get a grip, open your eyes...smell the dead blood..it is being dashed on You and me, and them....

Hypocritical Jibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But till then...ALL IS WELL? and Going to that end...let me sip my beer, and sing about my family that died on the other side of the coin...while I burn their blood into the enviromet to pollute it more, so I can say and point the finger at someone else, and cry out in my mornful and discustful demeaner, not only to slander that one who jokes about Killing people(our stupidity in making the pit of dispare) But who brought me reflective pain of my losses, to hate the religion of him to...and get everyone else (who does not see clearly)to support My madness, and hatred of christians who Joke about it more...because it is still being done today by those who claim they do no wrong, and all is well!
Same comments/thoughts that June mentioned, above, as regards ^ this...

Take gentle sensitivity care.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
I guess I'm the only one that thinks you need to lighten up. You don't even know what the joke was and your still offended.
As vague as your post was I don't see why anybody posting is taking a stand one way or another. He talked about Jesus, so what.
You say he's a really nice guy but now because of a joke that may have been in bad taste your upset.
If you don't like to hear him talk about Jesus, tell him. If you find jokes offensive, tell him.
Why don't people just talk to each other. If he was some obnoxious drunk I'd understand but you said he's a nice guy. Politely tell him you don't like that type of behavior he'll stop. It's that simple.
Jokes are jokes and generally have no other significant meaning. The funniest people in the world are those that can laugh at themselves.
he told the OP the joke was about the holocaust and told to a jewish person. no one in their right minds makes "jokes" about the holocaust and most certainly not to a jewish person. then he said " well what do they expect when you kill Jesus Christ" "You kill Christ, well God said I got something for ya" trying to justify the joke. you think this is no big deal? you need sensitivity training or maybe do a little more study of history to find out just why this young man is an idiot.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Even good people can have a lapse in judgement and say stupid things that they regret. Sometimes things come out way different than intended and the more you try to fix it the worse it gets. If this is an isolated event . . . let it go.

You have said kind things about this man, so give him the benefit of a doubt. If something similar comes up again, the try to talk rationally about it. Sadly, we are all a product of our family, our surroundings, our beer - he may have received bad influences. I'm not making excuses for him, but I am trying to point out that the next stumble, if there is a next time, will be your chance to give him a more wordly view and a positive influence.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
That is myt Point..exactly...Killing people is wrong...But it continues today as it was yesterday!!!

And that Pit of dispare is being created by who, or what?..or both?

And to Say I have pitty or remorse for them who died, and lived in that terrible day...while the very same thing is being done, by those who support it directly or indirectly is in my mind Hypocrital...and then to say Let us Hate this one or that one for making bad jolkes about the Human tragidy which is not only in the past...But is still going on today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who supports this?

Well...is it a Joke to say we are sorry , or we have remorse, when it is we who are in support of making it be?

Get a grip, open your eyes...smell the dead blood..it is being dashed on You and me, and them....

Oh they have familes too...be they painted criminals, terrorist, warlords, religious fanatics...etc etc etc...always pointing the finger at the wrong things...turn that finger around and look in the mirror...and You will see the same mustash Hiltler wore on your own face!

Cause they are still making wars with lies and for profits and gains, and a bent democracy which is killing the planet more and more each and every day!!!!!...and pointing the finger at People who Just want to live...the way they want to live...to kill them and suck up their blood so they can live in luxury and sip beer and dink, and say all is well...again Hypocritical Jibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now ..Was Jesus Right about the "engraven Idol" made way too important for Life...as he Kicked it out of his fathers house?
No he was not!

And as long as we hold it dear to our lives...this madness will continue.

Yes it is a big JoKe!....eventually it will all come out untwisted...when we point that finger at ourselves, and look at the dead planet we all helped make!

But till then...ALL IS WELL? and Going to that end...let me sip my beer, and sing about my family that died on the other side of the coin...while I burn their blood into the enviromet to pollute it more, so I can say and point the finger at someone else, and cry out in my mornful and discustful demeaner, not only to slander that one who jokes about Killing people(our stupidity in making the pit of dispare) But who brought me reflective pain of my losses, to hate the religion of him to...and get everyone else (who does not see clearly)to support My madness, and hatred of christians who Joke about it more...because it is still being done today by those who claim they do no wrong, and all is well!

Get over it...Jesus said to put down the sword of dispare!...God says Thou shall not Kill!

Now if we cannot put these indifferences aside..(not that they are not valide) but that they harbour ill will towards others who had nothing to do with the events of past lives lost...
But if we are to harbour those losses truly and honourably...we should not make more of the same on either side....and so..to bring hatred into play here on Christians or anyother ethnic group...while this world is now at war in many different forms...still killing people...for what ever reason...is still making dispare, and hatred festor!
And the pit of dispare is then part of our own making....so do we truly honour and learn from the tragidy if we continue to make it?

That is my point...whether it is directly or indirectly supported...Killing people is now a game!

And that is the biggest Joke of all!

And we all support it with our taxed hand, and the IDol, and the blood....So in what way do we honour them now?...by bringing more hatred to the fire?

See...it is Not all is well, and it is not let us drink and be merry...is it?

SO again the Joke is on us!

Have a polluted day!

And be mindful of what you do..and what you are in partnership with....cause it all ties you to something....and from where I am standing...everyone is guilty!...Even me!
Psychopathic ramblings of deluded madmen always amuse me and you, Sir Les, are no exception. I truly am amused at how you draw tangibility between the concept of graven images and the Holocaust or tax dollars and a social interaction that happened in someone's backyard. Only the mind of a truly deranged, truly schizophrenic individual could be so paranoid as to relate taxes, blood, idol worship and hate speech together as having to do with the off-hand comments of a backwards redneck.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
I dont care about the joke, I said I didn't know what the joke was other than it was about the holocaust and offensive to the Jewish guy, what I care about is his comment that the Jews got what was coming to them for killing Christ, laughing about that, then stating "god said, kill my son? I got something for ya" that wasn't the joke. Then he stated he was ready for jokes about 9/11. I love a good joke but some things should be left alone.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
I dont care about the joke, I said I didn't know what the joke was other than it was about the holocaust and offensive to the Jewish guy, what I care about is his comment that the Jews got what was coming to them for killing Christ, laughing about that, then stating "god said, kill my son? I got something for ya" that wasn't the joke. Then he stated he was ready for jokes about 9/11. I love a good joke but some things should be left alone.
I totally agree. Kind of like that joke about the difference between a pizza and a Jew.:-(

Nea1, try and get a copy of the 1960 British movie, Hand in Hand and let your neighbor watch it. He may learn something hopefully.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
So last night, I am outside with my husband drinking a mojito, he had his beer, all was well. Our neighbor pulled up, very nice guy, who grabs a beer and comes and talks. He is a Christian, we know this, no problems, get along fine. We laugh and joke and I keep my mouth shut while he makes references to Jesus and all. Everything was fine until he mentioned that he told a Jewish joke to a Jewish guy and he thinks he offended him. He laughed and said it was about the holocaust. My husband looks at me right away because my grandmother lost much of her family at the camps ( not Jewish but helped them). Still I kept quite. Then he said what I found so offensive I almost screamed, he said " well what do they expect when you kill Jesus Christ" "You kill Christ, well God said I got something for ya" hahahahaha, he laughed. I kept quite, until he decided it was time to go in then I went in the house and cried. How could someone think that way, I just dont get it.
I have a German Shepherd Dog, quite large, who is more sensitive to my moods than am I. If someone is inside my house and getting me upset, Dreifus will step between the two of us, lay his ears back and give a very low growl at the offender. He is not shy and does not bluff, most people find a reason to leave shortly after he intercedes. You may borrow him if you wish---- We also have his daughter, Jorja, comparatively, a tiny little thing, she only weights about 75 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality