Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my strange thought for the day...

I was watching "The Power of Myth" the other day and thinking deeply about Joseph Cambell's ideas regarding religion and god. It got me thinking about how scientists usually deny the existence of "god" or any higher power directing the universe but continually see "beauty" and "elegance" in natural processes they observe and describe.

I even recall physicists like Michael Kaku and maybe even Stephen Hawking talking about the search for the unified "Theory of Everything"; even they say they'll know it when they see it because it will be simple, elegant and beautiful.

My question is: Why would a random natural process that is so much larger and apart from ourselves be naturally asthetically pleasing to us? It makes no sense that our universe would tickle our artistic senses, nor that it would randomly develop to become a part of the psyche of even hardcore atheist scientists. I can see no reason for us to carry that if we are no more than the sum of our parts.

Yet we continually wonder at creation, continually seek greater perspective, and know we've arrived simply because it "feels right" to us, as if we knew it all along somewhere deep inside us but were just unable to articulate it before.

Is that "god"? Not the Abrahamic and/or classical version with the great bearded white guy in the sky and all that jazz, but something much grander than our simplistic, humanized idea... something all-encompassing that binds us all together from galactic superclusters to quarks. Do we see beauty in our understanding of our place in the universe because on some level we are looking at our creator? What do you think?

Last edited by Chango; 08-11-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
As you know, I certain think there is something beyond what we can observe. I don't know what it is. On the other hand, it could be something natural that we just don't know about yet. I am with the thought that it certainly isn't "god" in the abrahamic sense. Whatever god is, it is way beyond anything that we have come up with through our faiths and beliefs.

The was a good show on the Science Channel the other night. I've really been enjoying this series: Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. The episode the other night was "Is there a Creator?" Very thought provoking. Anyone else catch it?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times
As long as they make some type of distinction in its use. To use the word "God" as a catch all when someone doesn't understand something is a total cop out favoring stupidity and ignorance for a scientist to do (or anyone else for that matter). How was the earth created? Oh nevermind that, God did it. How does the ecosystem work so fine tuned? Don't worry about that, God did it. Its totally stupid that people buy these answers rather than study and learn the real processes about our planet. Its how parents infect their children with absolute and total ignorance such as creationism. Its akin to something like mental terrorism when examined closer.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 7,742 times
I am studying medical terminologies in my coding course. It discusses the different systems in our body. I must say, they are loads different from the 8 body systems in my elementary science. There is an accompanying CD rom with animation of how blood travels our body, the make up of antibodies, how the heart pumps, the lymph nodes - all the intricate details of albumin, leuckocytes. How the carcinogens form and how they are hereditary and how there are cells in our body that are there to kill them.

You really must be an arrogant know it all to say these diff cells in our body have a mind of its own to know what to do what its supposed to do at the exact time at the exact place. Especially the involuntary processes that's going on in our body like the beating of our hearts.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesBren View Post
I am studying medical terminologies in my coding course. It discusses the different systems in our body. I must say, they are loads different from the 8 body systems in my elementary science. There is an accompanying CD rom with animation of how blood travels our body, the make up of antibodies, how the heart pumps, the lymph nodes - all the intricate details of albumin, leuckocytes. How the carcinogens form and how they are hereditary and how there are cells in our body that are there to kill them.

You really must be an arrogant know it all to say these diff cells in our body have a mind of its own to know what to do what its supposed to do at the exact time at the exact place. Especially the involuntary processes that's going on in our body like the beating of our hearts.
That's exactly what they do evo, but they have help from DNA. It is the DNA that tells the cell what to become.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That's exactly what they do evo, but they have help from DNA. It is the DNA that tells the cell what to become.
And what tells the DNA what to tell the cells? Where did the various codes come from?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Actually sanspeur, NO! It is not the DNA that tells them what to do?! There are processes behind each and every one of them. I suggest you watch or even study ONE system of our body. And don't tell me the DNA tells them to do it. Because newsflash Sherlock, DNA does not. DNA does not rule the involuntary processes in our body system.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesBren View Post
Actually sanspeur, NO! It is not the DNA that tells them what to do?! There are processes behind each and every one of them. I suggest you watch or even study ONE system of our body. And don't tell me the DNA tells them to do it. Because newsflash Sherlock, DNA does not. DNA does not rule the involuntary processes in our body system.
I just reported you, evo.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
DNA carries the genetic information of a cell and consists of thousands of genes. Each gene serves as a recipe on how to build a protein molecule. Proteins perform important tasks for the cell functions or serve as building blocks. The flow of information from the genes determines the protein composition and thereby the functions of the cell.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Oh really, you reported me. Wow I am shaking with fear. Why, you can't handle the truth? That you are afraid to pick up a book about our body system and be amazed how they do what they do involuntary!

Sanspeur. You need to read or watch an animation of a body system. I suggest the immune system or maybe the respiratory system. So are you saying the DNA is the boss of them all. Ahahahha. How wrong you are.

Like I said, be an arrogant fool! I don't care. But there is MORE to your DNA babbling that's going on in our body than what you know. Whatver my post will be deleted anyway.

Continue your arrogance and godless existence. FOOLS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality