Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times

Advertisements

I recently read that St. Justin was a heathen philosopher before his conversion, and his Christianity was of a mongrel type. He wore a pagan philosopher's robe, or pallium, after his conversion, called himself a Platonist ( Platonic realism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), and always seemed half a heathen. His effort appeared to be to fuse Christianity and Paganism, and it is not easy to harmonize his statements. His Pagan idiosyncrasies colored his Christianity.

I gotta go to bed...my eyes are burning! I'll check this out tomorrow or Monday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM

668 posts, read 682,135 times
A mongrel christian? You've already stated that I was an unbeliever, and that I didn't believe the bible in another post. All the while you seem to interpret the bible at your leisure. But to call my home-dog St. Justin a "Mongrel Christian" is completely unacceptable

And now Pagans have to endure being called "heathens" by you?

Don't always focus on removing a splinter from your neighbors eye when you have a plank in your own!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I don't mind if people call me heathen...it kind of makes me laugh...AND of course if these same people are calling me heathen...that means they will stay away from me for fear it will wash off on them and thats also fine with me.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
It is my opinion that religions rely on emotion rather then logic
Just wondering.....

Have you ever read any of Thomas Aquinas? He's recognized (historically) as the greatest philosopher for 2000 years between Aristotle and Decartes. His writings synthesizes faith and reason. He was considered a prominent intellectual of his time.

His writings examine some of the following, where he shows that God's existence is not so obvious that it needs no proof; and that it is not so obscure that is cannot be proved. He refutes both extremes of "dogmatism" and "skepticism" about the existence of God.

Some of his writings include:

Proofs for the Existence of God

Ontological and Cosmological

Three Premises to Cosmologial Argument:

1) an implicit logical argument
2) an explicit empirical datum (motion, causality, etc)
3) a metaphysical principle

Whether the Existence of God is self-evident

Whether it can be deomonstrated that God exists

A true demonstration is proof that a certain property necesarily follows from the essence

There'a a great deal more.... check him out.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I am aware of him. I was raised in a religious family, a very emotional religious family.

I prefer to rely on scientific proof for things.

Of course Thomas of Aquinas has alot of interesting things to say however it is just history, its no proof of anything to me.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I'm sorry but I don't believe your claim...lets see some proof, like a link to a reliable AND objective source for example.
Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I recently read that St. Justin was a heathen philosopher before his conversion, and his Christianity was of a mongrel type. He wore a pagan philosopher's robe, or pallium, after his conversion, called himself a Platonist ( Platonic realism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), and always seemed half a heathen. His effort appeared to be to fuse Christianity and Paganism, and it is not easy to harmonize his statements. His Pagan idiosyncrasies colored his Christianity.
Yes, born to pagan parents, but Justin was beheaded under the order of the prefect of Rome (Rusticus) for upholding Christian beliefs and refusing to sacrifice to the Roman gods.

In regards to the Mass and the Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist:

Justin's First Apology (A.D. 148-155)

In his Apology, St. Justin wrote to the pagan emperor Antoninus Pius explaining the practices and beliefs of Christians. St. Justin clearly and carefully explains the teachings of the second century Church regarding the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. St. Justin emphasizes the the requirements of baptism and the need to approach the Sacrament prayerfully and with a pure heart. Justin notes the Eucharistic prayer of "considerable length" and the active participation of the community in the Mass. St. Justin specifically points out that the Apostles handed down the teaching of the literal interpretation of Christ's words at the last supper. The Eucharistic celebration described by St. Justin in Ch. 67 shows remarkable resemblance to today's Mass

Old 06-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
C'ome on Jeffdance....I'm sure you don't dismiss St. Paul....and he used to kill Christians

Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM

668 posts, read 682,135 times
Hundreds of them!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Jeff, you've got some misconceptions about orthodox Christianity's views of paganism. We don't dismiss paganism simply for being pagan. Even the pagans got it right sometimes. This is why we can look to Plato and find many wonderful truths.

C.S. Lewis once wrote that Christ fulfilled both Judaism and paganism (a statement that still gets him roasted in many circles).

Just because you see Christianity and paganism sharing some common beliefs does not necessarily mean they are cross-pollinating. Truth is truth, no matter the teller. If my pagan neighbor tells me the sky is blue, I am hardly going to disagree with him on the basis of his paganism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality