Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Gldrule knows better than that of course, and is just putting ants down your shorts.
I wouldn't bet on it. As we have seen in the past with his argument from numbers/authority, he's not averse to claiming something was said when it wasn't or visa-versa..but I suppose we have to indulge his nonsense occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah, I see! A bit like me taking your sentence "Of course FSM (and IPUs) exist...the Atheists "invented" them so they would have some "Gods" to recognize.", then leaving out half the sentence so that it doesn't say what you actually said.... like this "Of course FSM exists...", then claiming that you said you believed the FSM exists??
Exactly. It is either an act of idiocy or dishonesty. Though, in GldnRn's case he is just winding us up, so he told us.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-28-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Ah, I see! A bit like me taking your sentence "Of course FSM (and IPUs) exist...the Atheists "invented" them so they would have some "Gods" to recognize.", then leaving out half the sentence so that it doesn't say what you actually said.... like this "Of course FSM exists...", then claiming that you said you believed the FSM exists?? Well fella, you might stoop to those levels...most people wouldn't.
Exactly. Nooooooot "stooping"...just a little levity.

With proclamations like---Nothing like a cool out-of-context zinger!, and, Wooo-Hooo!!!---I would have thought my levity was obvious.

I always wonder how my seriousness, snark, and outright joking isn't always obvious. But I guess it isn't. I might just have to stick with "serious" posts...or stuff like my "kicking Satans butt and turning Hell into a party" post...so there is no confusion. But then, your confusion is half my fun...so it's kinda a dilemma.

Hey...and what's with the continued knocking of Ad Pop & argumentum ad vercundiam?!!
Everybody knows that stuff trumps logic and reason when it comes to "real world" discernment. 99.99% as effective results...with only .001% of the time and effort. You guys need to learn how to be efficient and effective. Didn't you ever hear the saying, "Close enough is good enough"? LOL!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I always wonder how my seriousness, snark, and outright joking isn't always obvious.
It's because you're not very good at it.

Quote:
Hey...and what's with the continued knocking of Ad Pop & argumentum ad vercundiam?!!
Everybody knows that stuff trumps logic and reason when it comes to "real world" discernment. 99.99% as effective results...with only .001% of the time and effort.
Ah yes! There is a question for you on another thread.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
It's because you're not very good at it.

Ah yes! There is a question for you on another thread.
Not for lack of trying.

Of course, comparing my snark to yours is like comparing the Little League to the Yankees. Some people are just exceptionally good at some things. Since I find your "snark" so amusing, I wish I was as good at it myself. But it's similar to a person that likes Gary Moore, trying to play guitar like him: Probably not gonna work out exactly as planned. Such is my trying to snark like you. But, have I not always given you your props as The Snark Master?

MOST of you say I'm not good at it...you especially Raf. Should I go by the Ad pop stance...and your expert authority, that I'm not...or should I wait for more definitive proof, since according to you none of that means squat? LOL!

Not that it isn't good enough for ME to determine my deficiency. As you well know...I'm not so hung-up that only Pedigree Logic/Reason will suffice for me to be able to draw a certain conclusion. Sooooooo---Its a very heavy majority...and Raf IS a top expert. Hmmmmmm, Yup!...that's enough for me to make a solid determination...I'm not good at it. OTOH...you CAN'T say that, since it's not Empirically Proven!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Have you been drinking??

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Have you been drinking??
The Snark Master strikes again! See that? 4 words...brilliant! What can I say?

NAH...not drinking. The County Fair is this week. It rained like crazy the beginning of the week...now it's Sat...and the weather is beautiful. It's kicking my club in the butt like it does every year...so, I'm sitting here very bored. Maybe I should have a few drinks. Things will pick up after the fair gets out at 10 PM.

Plus...the threads aren't really very good right now. Mostly Islam stuff...I'm not very interested in that. I'm not a thread starting kind of guy...that might change though. Maybe rifleman can start one...I always like his threads. Thoms' stuff is good too. Where is Vic and Evo when you REALLY need them?!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Exactly. Nooooooot "stooping"...just a little levity.

With proclamations like---Nothing like a cool out-of-context zinger!, and, Wooo-Hooo!!!---I would have thought my levity was obvious.

I always wonder how my seriousness, snark, and outright joking isn't always obvious. But I guess it isn't. I might just have to stick with "serious" posts...or stuff like my "kicking Satans butt and turning Hell into a party" post...so there is no confusion. But then, your confusion is half my fun...so it's kinda a dilemma.

Everybody knows that stuff trumps logic and reason when it comes to "real world" discernment. 99.99% as effective results...with only .001% of the time and effort. You guys need to learn how to be efficient and effective. Didn't you ever hear the saying, "Close enough is good enough"? LOL!
Nobody minds a bit of levity. I like a laugh myself. But it is a pain when we can't tell whether you are making a serious argument for mob rule (as Roman 6 is for bias, intolerance and bigotry - just so it's on his side(1) or just trying a wind - up.

(1) 'This makes me so angry on so many levels' post #3

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-29-2010 at 04:22 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Most people use those terms in the manner you listed. In fact, up until a year ago I used them in that manner. However, gnosticism and theism have different meanings. Gnosticism addresses what you know and agnosticism addresses what you don't know. Theism addresses what you believe and atheism addresses what you don't believe. So, there are 4 categories:

Gnostic Theist: Knows there is a god and believes there is a god.

Agnostic Theist: Doesn't know if is a god but believes there is a god.

Gnostic Atheist: Knows there isn't a god and believes there isn't a god.

Agnostic Atheist: Doesn't know if there is a god but doesn't believe in a god.

Most of us don't fall exactly on one of these strict definitions. We all fall along a continum. As Sanspeur mentioned, Richard Dawkins attempted to define this continum.
These are excellent categories Maia . . . as is Dawkin's scale. But your separation of knowing (gnosticism) and belief (faith) is excellent. Rafius by rejecting the knowing part but claiming 100% faith . . . seems to be staking out the Agnostic Atheist category. I with my 100% knowing and 100% faith . . . am staking out the Gnostic Theist category.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
No, it means that my lack of belief in gods is 100%

YOUR logic might. The rest of us would ask why would a god that has been around for 14 billion years only make an appearance 3,000 years ago. Anyway, off topic.
The timing (especially of Bible-God) is superfluous and irrelevant . . . since the literal Bible-God is based on ignorance. But the question remains . . . how much evolution of species needed to occur before a suitable "vessel" existed in which to plant the "seed of consciousness" . . . i.e., breath of life creating a "living SOUL?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality