Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Finally!!! . . . acknowledging it as a belief is the first step to questioning the rationality of it (in either camp). I remain utterly dumbfounded that anyone in this modern age can believe in the original Gods of the mainstream religions described by our ignorant primitive ancestors.
You and me both brother....but what's even more dumfounding are the vast numbers that still believe in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Most atheists I've talked to (and there have been lots!) are insistent that there is no God. Period. Most agnostics I've talked to seem to be quite certain there is no God, but don't rule out the possibility entirely.I've just never seen the word agnostic used to describe something who really feels that it's impossible to know for sure, but does believe in a God.
This is the first place I ever saw the term "agnostic theist." It is from the Religious Tolerance website.

Agnosticism

"Agnostic-Theist: A Theist firmly believes in the existence of a God. An Agnostic has concluded that there is no proof for either the existence or non-existence of God. However, these two beliefs are not necessarily mutually exclusive. An Agnostic could still believe in the existence of God even though they accept that there is no proof either way.

Agnostic Theists: those who believe that a deity probably exists, even though god's existence cannot be proven."

This is more my personal mindset on the whole god question:

"Another category of Agnostic are the "Empirical Agnostics." They believe that God may exist, but that little or nothing can be known about him/her/it/them."

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
See....I don't understand what "agnostic" is. For me, agnosticism doesn't exist. I mean, you either have a belief that gods exist (theist) or you don't (atheist). If you accept that gods may or may not exist (agnostic) then that means that you accept the possibility that gods may exist and therefore, have a belief in gods...which makes you theist.
I'm not sure it's all that easy as there are many different thoughts on what a "god" is. I don't think of god being a god in the classic sense of the word.

For most people, I think the word god automatically conjures the image of a supernatural creature that, if would could see it, looks like a man: Zeus, Mars, Yahweh, Allah, Mithra, Ahura Mazda and, of course, the ultimate god-man Jesus. Then there are those who think of the "little g" god as those ancient gods that had animal heads and men's bodies or vice versa and such. But even these looked like things on earth. The commonality of all these types of gods is that they had very human thinking and emotion despite their purported perfection.

But when we put aside those definitions and begin to ponder that the Creator (for lack of a better word) probably doesn't look like anything on earth or fit any of the pictures we form in our mind, then I wonder if the word god(s) can be used at all. What if it's just some sort or ethereal spirit? What if it is just some sort of force or power that has no cognizance as we know it? What if it is something that pervades all things in the universe like the pantheists believe? Is it still a god then? I just don't know.

This is why I am comfortable with the term agnostic theist. I believe that there is something...I just don't know what it is.

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-02-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality