Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.brons View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
That the bible will not be added to or taken away from is spoken to directly in Revelation. Of course this kind of admonition is found in virtually every religious scripture ever created by man. I will not, however, engage in a religious or scriptural discussion although I am likely as well versed as you are in canonized scripture and very likely even better versed in noncanonized scripture. But let me assure you, there are contradictions throughout the bible that invalidate it as being the word of God or even as an accurate recitation of history.

And no, I will not engage in a scriptural argument or discussion. Having grown beyond reliance on "scripture" and with a very strong personal relationship with the creator, I know that such discussions are a waste of time, and I will not waste my time in that manner.

On the other hand, we have to be aware that there are those that we find offensive......but they have the right to speak and act, and I will defend that right. If everyone agreed with what we said all the time, such laws would not be necessary. We don't so such laws are required.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,452 times
Quote:
Actually, what is supported by archaeology and history is that the Bible and its god are obviously plagiarizations from earlier civilizations' mythologies, including those of Mesopotamia and Egypt.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 12:16 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,047,191 times
Quote:
c.brons
The bible is a historical document backed by archeological evidence but im sure you will say archeology is a myth as well.

Then why do you on the one hand say it is a historical document? Now you are saying it does not need to be historical to be useful yet you really need it to be seen as historical.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
The problem is, much of what you call the historical aspect of the bible is incorrect. Many of the places, characters and events depicted therein have been proven just flat out wrong, so as evidence of of any historical value it is shaky at best.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I have read scripture till my eyes almost fell out, but those were the twenty years I spent as a Christian trying to believe...It is amazing what honest research will do to what you think is the truth.

Do not bother to post scripture to me, unless it has something to do with the discussion, as my eyes glaze over and it brings back bad memories...I do not read it.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM

lets start with a really really simple contradiction.......Adam and Eve were the only people on earth living in the Garden. When they were expelled they had children. The children got married. Who did they marry? Their siblings? I think not.....incest has almost always been a prohibition (except for Lot and his daughters, of course). Line breeding has always been a problem.

The first difficulty in dealing with issues such as this is that when one is resolved a dozen more pop up. The second difficulty comes from the fact that I consider such things so totally irrelevant that they are not worth discussing. My relationship with the creator is such that things like that become laughable and evidence of people who have no real relationship with the creator and are so caught up in religion they will never have a fulfilling spiritual life.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 08-29-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
.........Do not bother to post scripture to me, unless it has something to do with the discussion, as my eyes glaze over and it brings back bad memories...I do not read it.
Such is the way of the true believer though. If you deny their faith or their scripture it simply means you haven't read it or you don't understand it or someone hasn't explained it to you properly. It never means you have researched it and found it invalid......or if not invalid it isn't as it is presented by the true believer. Sit and watch, sometime, when a pentecostal and non-pentecostal try to persuade each other about their own personal belief about speaking in tongues. In more primitive and barbaric religions like Islam watch what happens when different interpretations (such as Shiia and Suni) try to debate particular details of their faith.......it can be explosive...........

Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 PM

it can be explosive...........LOL....Literally

Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Neither one of which has any meaning to me whatsoever.

And you are just a little arrogant there aren't you.........you want to know my credentials as a christian or of my biblical training so you can decide if I am knowledgeable? Frankly I think you have been brainwashed into believing a lot of stuff that is allegory at best. I don't think you have any true biblical objectivism otherwise you would not even be engaging me in this rather pathetic conversation.

How about you go mature a bit spiritually before you reengage me. As for now, I have work to do......best of luck in your studies.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 PM

19 posts, read 48,001 times
I would like to make a correction on my last post. Adam was created in Gen 2:7 and not Gen 2:1 for some reason i cant edit it. In response to goodshepard. It wasnt my intention to offend you but to answer your allegation of contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality