Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
What I am curious to know is how does reincarnaiton account for population growth? I am not trying to be flipant. I have tremendous respect for Buddhism, but are souls allegedly splitting to create more people or have souls been lying dormant?
What a great question! I've often wondered that myself. From what I understand, there are far more souls than there are humans living on the earth. When someone's mortal body dies, their soul spends time in a spiritual plane where it prepares for the next life and sometimes the gaps between human lives can be hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Why with all the millions of galaxies and most likely billions of habitable planets, would we think that this is the only planet we could be reborn on?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
I believe it would be almost impossible to tell the difference between a good Christian, a good Buddist, and a good Hindu.
I may be true that the scarcest of the three is the good Christian.

Reincarnation vs. rebirth?
Karma vs. consequence of sin?
Nirvanna vs. heaven?

I'd like to hear the saints of all three discuss it. My guess is there would not be too much disagreement among them

Old 10-13-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I believe it would be almost impossible to tell the difference between a good Christian, a good Buddist, and a good Hindu.
I may be true that the scarcest of the three is the good Christian.

Reincarnation vs. rebirth?
Karma vs. consequence of sin?
Nirvanna vs. heaven?

I'd like to hear the saints of all three discuss it. My guess is there would not be too much disagreement among them
Wow. That would make a great thread of its own.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Why with all the millions of galaxies and most likely billions of habitable planets, would we think that this is the only planet we could be reborn on?

Excellent point to consider! Thanks for broadening our perspective.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,392 times
If I am not mistaken (oh where is June when we need her) one big difference is that Buddhism does not subscribe to creationism. I think many consider Buddhism a philosophy and not a religion.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
If we find that we have an interest in the possiblity of reincarnation, then, I don't see the problem of coming back as animals, especially dogs. I think that souls could learn a lot by having to live in a situation governed by humans without being able to change anything.

I think living a few lifetimes, chained up in a yard with little food and water would cause a lot to decide to do better the next time around.

If there is such a thing, I don't think that it would be necessary that the person be aware of past lives. I think you would probably find that a person would be born with some sort of inate desire to be generous, caring, or loving. Why are some children such wonderful little beings and others such hateful brats? Maybe some of them are further along on their journey. Maybe?

Just a few rambling thought while I think about lunch!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
I find it really, really interesting that the Buddha said that such matters as "origins" were beyond both conjecture and comprehension. He made a rather compelling point that to question/conjucture such impenetrable, unfathomable mysteries only results in chaos to the conjecturer! By the same token, the Buddhist's don't seem to have any difficulty with the vast divide between science and religion that we do here in the west...

Interesting.

Take gentle care.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
My understanding of Buddhism is that we don't have a "soul" as defined by the west. I currently live in Asia and people laugh at the idea that I cannot get a grip on this concept.

I would like to recommend a great basic book on Buddhism by Jack Kornfeld, it's titled: A Path With Heart. It will answer your basic questions, and explain in simple layman's terms, the philosophy of Buddhism.

Tricky D, I might suggest that you would benefit from reading a bit about Buddhism before you make judgments based on your misunderstanding or non-comprehension.

Radical Faith: "Nirvana seems to believe that the passions (the ego) are the source of all suffering." I don't know that I agree with your premise. To me, nirvana is the cessation of self, of attachment; it is absolute acceptance. It, too, is impermanent. We observe and move on, not deny our emotions or desires.

Again, I'd recommend Kornfeld or Thich Nhat Hahn for a basic understanding of Buddhist philosophy in simple English writing. There are many others that Buddhist students can recommend but these are clear and basic.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 AM

32 posts, read 63,462 times
How does someone get saved or protected by a philosophy?
The word philosphy means an idea or a precept, it is not an assurance yet you base your entire belief on something is more a searching than a found.

If you are searching how can you be sure. If it is a theology again it is a theory and not a fact. I don't understand how anyone can be so sure of something that is only a theory. The big bang is a theory but not a fact which was brought out by a someone who basically assumed what is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality