Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM

465 posts, read 528,685 times

Advertisements

I'm still agnostic on the issue and have actually been looking into Deism lately.

Anyways, if there is one, why won't he just show himself? He created planets, galaxies, stars, US, yet he can't give a simple "hi" to us. You know, like I'm talking to a real person.

Why when religious people say they "talk" to god or we must "talk" to god and "listen", it's all so subjective and in our heads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Pick a reason, any reason.. they are all theoreticall possible. Personally, I've narrowed down to three possiblities (I'm in the agnostic camp too, BTW):

Maybe God doesn't want us to learn more than we are ready for right now so he/she/it purposely stays "behind the secene" to us...

Maybe God made us and/or the universe and left it to it's own devices...

Maybe God doesn't exist and never has...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM

465 posts, read 528,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Pick a reason, any reason.. they are all theoreticall possible. Personally, I've narrowed down to three possiblities (I'm in the agnostic camp too, BTW):

Maybe God doesn't want us to learn more than we are ready for right now so he/she/it purposely stays "behind the secene" to us...

Good analysis.

If he is there, then I have to believe that one of the first two are true. The idea of a personal god doesn't really reflect what I see today. At least not in the way most theists portray it.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
I'm still agnostic on the issue and have actually been looking into Deism lately.

Anyways, if there is one, why won't he just show himself? He created planets, galaxies, stars, US, yet he can't give a simple "hi" to us. You know, like I'm talking to a real person.

Why when religious people say they "talk" to god or we must "talk" to god and "listen", it's all so subjective and in our heads?
Because that's exactly what it is...in our heads...we are talking to our own consciousness.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:

Maybe God is our parent that died a long time ago. Eventually, we will grow up (evolve) to be Gods.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
I ask this question all the time myself. It would make things so much easier and settle the question once and for all. Like Chango, I am agnostic also, though of the agnostic theist variety. I have narrowed it down to this:

1. God is not willing to reveal itself directly and requires pure faith - the easy explanation of most faiths. Too easy if you ask me. The world's religions and sacred books smack of man and not a deity.

2. God can't reveal itself to us directly due to it not being a "god" in the conventional sense of the word. Perhaps it is just a spirit, force or power that we simpy cannot comprehend or perceive. If it is a spirit, maybe it can't "talk to us" because it is so far beyond us that those attempts would go unrecognized or impossible to understand. If it is some sort of universally pervading force or power, then maybe it can't reveal itself because it is not a cognizent being.

3. There is no god of any kind. I personally do not accept this and that could just be due to my inability to get beyond the "Is this all there is?" question and my cultural upbringing.

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-03-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I ask this question all the time myself. It would make things so much easier and settle the question once and for all. Like Chango, I am agnostic also, though of the agnostic theist variety. I have narrowed it down to this:

1. God is not willing to reveal itself directly and requires pure faith - the easy explanation of most faiths. Too easy if you ask me.

2. God can't reveal itself to us directly due to it not being a "god" in the conventional sense of the word. Perhaps it is just a spirit, force or power that we simpy cannot comprehend or perceive. If it is a spirit, maybe it can't "talk to us" because it is so far beyond us that those attempts would go unrecognized or impossible to understand. If it is some sort of universally pervading force or power, then maybe it can't reveal itself because it is not a cognizent being.

3. There is no god of any kind. I personally do not accept this and that could just be due to my inability to get beyond the "Is this all there is?" question and my cultural upbringing.
I lean towards #2

Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:

Maybe God doesn't want us to learn more than we are ready for right now so he/she/it purposely stays "behind the scene" to us...

Some other options:

* God isn't aware or concerned with us any more than we are of the bacteria or fungus spores we share the world with on a day to day basis.

* The universe itself is "God". Including us and everything else within it.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
What a ridiculous question from such a little human being! I imagine God is either laughing at you or shaking his head at the ridiculousness of such a being he created. You, me, or anyone else that has lived or breathed on this Earth are simply unworthy to see God! Completely unworthy! What have we done to deserve to see the maker of heaven and earth? Besides running our motor mouths? Is living and breathing not enough for you? The fact that jesus his only begotten son died on the cross for your vile sins is not enough? Is going to heaven not enough?! Now you want to see God?! As if any of us are worthy enough! Not even ignoring the fact that God does not owe us a single flimsy thing! He doesn't have to show you his face to know he exist! His creations are right in front of you. Only fools cannot see the hands of God's works all across this planet and the universe!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What a ridiculous question from such a little human being! I imagine God is either laughing at you or shaking his head at the ridiculousness of such a being he created. You, me, or anyone else that has lived or breathed on this Earth are simply unworthy to see God! Completely unworthy! What have we done to deserve to see the maker of heaven and earth? Besides running our motor mouths? Is living and breathing not enough for you? The fact that jesus his only begotten son died on the cross for your vile sins is not enough? Is going to heaven not enough?! Now you want to see God?! As if any of us are worthy enough! Not even ignoring the fact that God does not owe us a single flimsy thing! He doesn't have to show you his face to know he exist! His creations are right in front of you. Only fools cannot see the hands of God's works all across this planet and the universe!
Allen why do you always stoop to insults when answering questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality