Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Just curious, as no one's mentioned it. Does anybody do the Sunday night services anymore? For Protestant Christians around here it's Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night service.
I know what you mean. I'm sure a lot of the older, more traditional churches have a Sunday night service. My church does not. We have Wed. night, but not Sunday night. And it seems at least in the Dallas area here, the trend is kind of away from that for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM

Default What denomination specifically?

It is very interesting to hear what Sunday is like for all of you guys! If you don't mind revealing it, I'm just curious exactly what denomination church you guys that said you attend a church on Sundays go to?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It is very interesting to hear what Sunday is like for all of you guys! If you don't mind revealing it, I'm just curious exactly what denomination church you guys that said you attend a church on Sundays go to?
Baptist here

Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 PM

954 posts, read 813,974 times
Bah!! I hate Sundays. Get up around 5am every morning and Suday is the same. No rest for the wicked eh? Switch on computer and check CD to see if there has been any blood spilled overnight and try to get into an argument with one of you guys before you go to bed. Check e-mails. Check other forums to see if the Christians have come up with any new derogatory names to call me. Get fed up with the cat chewing my toes (it's her way of telling me she wants to be fed). Feed cat and make a cup of tea. Go back to computer and check CD again. Get excited because I see a new post..........and then get depressed because I find that Montana, Stretch, JerZ or Ian have got there before me and answered the new post with enviable style and eloquence. Beat monitor with a slipper when I see posts from Marks and ILNC telling us we're all going to burn in hell. Make my partner a cup of tea, laced with small amounts of various incecticides and weedkillers (it will work one day I'm sure).

Wait for it to get light outside and then rescue various insects that have decided it would be a good idea to drown themselves in the pool. Patrol the orchard armed with a battery of spraying equipment to check for overnight attack by Mediterranean Fruit Fly.

Mow the lawn as early as possible, with my noisiest mower, to wake up my neighbours in revenge for their dogs keeping me awake at night. Go for a morning stroll down the lane and have some catapult practice on some of the local dogs who are always barking.

Check CD again, only to find that you've all gone to bed. Get depressed because I've got nobody to argue with so go onto veranda and sit in the sun thinking up new ways to annoy people.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Default and where do you think you've been....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Typical Sunday, I start every morning (not just Sunday) by reading the Bible, and watch TBN for a little bit while I'm drinking coffee and eating breakfast, then go to Church from 9:00 until 11:00. I go to Phoenix First Assembly of God, which is one of the mega churches here in Phoenix, and I enjoy Pastor Tommy Barnett's preaching of the Gospel because he puts a lot of humor in his messages.
And btw, Mike, just where have you been and why have you not been posting in our forums before now? You can't just sit over idle in Arizona listening to funny sermons! We need all the help we can get over here, you know, handling all these atheists and agnostics!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Get up at 7:00am, go to church and play the 8:30 worship service, come home and get wife and go back for 11:30 service, go to mother-in-laws for pizza, nap for awhile, go home, call my mom in California, check e-mail, CD etc., watch news and then go to bed. Somewhere in there I have to have my coffee.
Do you play guitar or what, urban?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,640,907 times
I'm an atheist. Typical Sunday for me, get up around 9 or 10 pm , treat myself to a croissant and a hot chocolate , read the Sunday papers, get up, have a bath, go out to lunch somewhere nice, maybe catch a movie, go to a museum or an art exhibition ,maybe meet up with some friends for afternoon tea, and in the evening go to a Jazz concert or Opera. In summer in the afternoon, I often go to a Polo game at my local club ( Charity game this Sunday). If there isn't any Jazz I might go home and watch a movie or CSI on TV. Pretty busy but I like it packed with things to do.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'm an atheist. Typical Sunday for me, get up around 9 or 10 pm , treat myself to a croissant and a hot chocolate , read the Sunday papers, get up, have a bath, go out to lunch somewhere nice, maybe catch a movie, go to a museum or an art exhibition ,maybe meet up with some friends for afternoon tea, and in the evening go to a Jazz concert or Opera. In summer in the afternoon, I often go to a Polo game at my local club ( Charity game this Sunday). If there isn't any Jazz I might go home and watch a movie or CSI on TV. Pretty busy but I like it packed with things to do.
Sounds good, Mooseketeer! If I were an atheist, that's sounds something along the lines of how I would like to fill my Sundays too!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM

30,372 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
How 'bout another "just for fun" thread? I'd kinda like to know what my "online family" does on Sundays? If you are a believer and you go to church or place of worship-- What's it like? What is your service like? What else do you do on Sunday?
And if you are one of our resident atheists/agnostics or otherwise and don't attend, what do you do while you're waiting for the rest of us to get back from church to argue with?? No, seriously, what does Sunday look like for you?
Well, I hate to sound like a broken record, but there are other religions that don't worship on Sundays... so there's another option between being a "believer" who goes to church on Sunday, and an Atheist who doesn't. That being said, I attend Shabbat services on Friday nights, when I go - which isn't that often these days, I must admit. So my Sundays are free for "personal time" when I'm not working (I work an occasional Sunday)... usually I'll sleep past noon, do stuff around the house, take my dog out, and/or spend time with my friends & family members. This Sunday I'm going to dinner with my father, and might play "tour-guide" to an out-of-town visitor during the day. Tomorrow I'm in a wedding (bridesmaid), so it's a fairly busy weekend!

Quote:
Then my husband stays and plays his viola during music in the next service. After which we meet at a restaurant and have lunch with friends.
Oh, that's too funny... did you know that I'm a professional violist? I play with a local symphony, and we rehearse on Wednesday evenings. Don't tell my conductor this, but I rarely practice in-between, so my viola playing is reserved for the night of rehearsal - LOL.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM

30,372 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Can we assume you mean 9 or 10 AM? Sorry, couldn't resist... especially since when I was in school, it wasn't unusual for me to sleep into the evening! But anyway, that sounds like a really cool Sunday to me - can I join you some time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality