Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM

28,961 posts, read 30,311,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think you've gone too far in accommodating the radical islamist.

You should not be offended that people are going to burn a religious text.
You should be offended that people are going to get violent because of it.

That is the real outrage here - that we are treating violent islamist like they are our abusive alcoholic fathers, and we have to placate them or "we'll get what's coming to us." Your post seems to not only accept the radical islamist violent response, but also to legitimize it.

Not me.

I'm going to burn a Koran on 9/11. I'll burn a bible at the same time, and post pictures here for anyone to see. I don't care if it causes violence. On the contrary, I hope I "smoke out" the radicals, and we can take the battle to them. Because I think my right to point out how bigoted and insane these religions are is far greater than their right to Jihad if I insult their celestial dictator. It's worth fighting for.

I agree with you on all points, except acting on your opinion....you should care, b/c I fear this will start a civil war...

Religion, sheeesh, it never ceases to amaze me, how people, human beings will use religion to either hide behind or kill...and then they say, well, all we can do is pray? Sheeesh? If you look back in history most wars were over a disagreement of religion and land, and priest advocated a good many wars...killings, etc. Priest burned thousands of women at the stake, calling them witches, b/c they were not surpressed into quietude, but voiced they're opinions....

We were no better then, then they are now...
I agree totally that we haven't handled this issue of allowing people in this country who are illegals....they are still coming in, and the irony is, they will turn against us...they want this land...but......I mean, are we so ignorant, that we think there are only Mexican illegals here?

Liberal thinking doesn't work, and the extremists are now at large, it has just begun, but, believe me, this paster should be held accontable for what he will awaken...a very angry dragon....

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I think your flipping out by the actions of one obscure pastor and his 50 member church. Your reaction is not in relation to the act. Now if this was done by one of the mega churches, that could be a problem. But the media focussing on one miniscule church has blown it out of proportions. If the media never mentioned it, the muslim world would not have known about it, because they watch American news.

So, if your going to be upset, be upset with the media that is causing the minute acts of a few Americans to put the country at risk and the American men and woman in the ME at risk. They are dredging the bottom of society for stories that will sell.
Oh really, have you seen the protests this is already causing in indonesia...and I'm not flipping out....I'm voicing my opinion...and yes, the Media has definately bought this thing to fruiation, because they to have an agenda....

General Patraos, is very concerned for the lives of our soldiers over there due to this, and has made a public statement about it....this is very serious and will cause retaliations....big time

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We are not. Haven't you heard, we ARE the barbarians. Read your history.

As for standing by, we're conditioned to stand by and allow injustice. There are two classes in present day society: wolves, and cattle. The wolves commit the hate crimes, and the cattle look on and continue grazing.

I know we are the barbarians....why do you think every other nation hates us? And I know about history and what we've done, however, there are thousands of American's who do not.....and it's time, people arm themselves with the truth...religion, religion throughout time, has been the cause of many wars....and that is the statement I was trying to make, we, are no better then the terrorists...in the name of our Bible? Thousands of women were burned at the stake for having an opionion, by our priests, our priests have molested our kids, but no one says anything? Priests are human beings, they are just men....nothing more, nothing less...but they set themselves up as Gods...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
I blame the media (as usual) for giving this fringe pastor a forum. If my son, or any other soldiers gets killed because of this, I'll blame them. How do you think some militant Muslim in a hut in Afghanistan would hear of this otherwise?
I think the reason why this pastor has any traction is because we are so frustrated because we do not see the regular Muslims denouncing and sanctioning their own militant members. So people are thinking, why should Christians be any different?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I blame the media (as usual) for giving this fringe pastor a forum. If my son, or any other soldiers gets killed because of this, I'll blame them. How do you think some militant Muslim in a hut in Afghanistan would hear of this otherwise?
I think the reason why this pastor has any traction is because we are so frustrated because we do not see the regular Muslims denouncing and sanctioning their own militant members. So people are thinking, why should Christians be any different?
You've made a very good point....and I feel the very same way as you do, this man and the media Should be held accountable if any women/men are killed b/c of this....and they will be...General Patrous already has begged this paster to stop....

this man has an agenda, he's only a 50 member community right now, and this is his claim to fame, b/c he knows, a lot of people are heated up over this...gives him more members, more money....he's like a wolf, sucking on the weaknesses of man...

and Christains need to stop believing that just b/c they go to church every Sunday, they've done they're job....God helps those who help themselves...
If you want a job, are you going to just sit there and pray about it? Or are you going to go out there and apply yourself to the best of your ability, and then allow things to come to you....?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM

126 posts, read 231,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
....you should care, b/c I fear this will start a civil war...

The quiet people have been quiet for too long, letting the other 30% of America take control of all what should be right and wrong. The 70% of the population are waking up and saying enough with political correctness, enough with allowing some to have voices and not others. People are expressing their disgust in the way they only think they will be heard. It is unfortunate that some are using very controversial means to get their frustration out. But I have got to support them because if you feel you have been wronged and do nothing to help fix the wrong you may one day wake up and not recognize the country that use to represent freedom.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hope your son doesn't get killed, but if he does shouldn't we blame the radical islamist who believe criticizing their religion is a capital offense? And isn't your son fighting for our right to free speech, even if radical islamist don't like what we may have to say?

That's worth fighting for, me thinks.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK78 View Post
The quiet people have been quiet for too long, letting the other 30% of America take control of all what should be right and wrong. The 70% of the population are waking up and saying enough with political correctness, enough with allowing some to have voices and not others. People are expressing their disgust in the way they only think they will be heard. It is unfortunate that some are using very controversial means to get their frustration out. But I have got to support them because if you feel you have been wronged and do nothing to help fix the wrong you may one day wake up and not recognize the country that use to represent freedom.
oh, so, it's ok to stand up for your opinion, if people are going to get killed b/c of your actions? Then how are you any better then the terrorists?

I agree with you, but this is not the way to do it....there are way to many muslims in this courtry who are terrorists...and that's no one's fault but our government....and those who think it's ok to allow anyone into this country....and don't get me wrong, there are really good muslims, however, I was asleep before 911....do you think really believe our borders are safe and secure, do you really believe they're not here in this country?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I hope your son doesn't get killed, but if he does shouldn't we blame the radical islamist who believe criticizing their religion is a capital offense? And isn't your son fighting for our right to free speech, even if radical islamist don't like what we may have to say?

That's worth fighting for, me thinks.
My son is over there to, and he says, this is going to cause everything postive that they have accomplished to be undone....this is a very very dangerous ground to walk on....and radical islamists or just plain extremists? How are we any different? We are not, and this has been happening since the beginning of time....Religion sucks....
Faith, on the other hand, is a whole different subject, but religion is so freakin corrupt....I've jumped around to different churches as a child, mother and wife....until about oh, say 20 years ago...religion really stinks...I have a wonderful neighbor who is secretary for her church, a very big congregation, she runs her butt of for them, and all they pay her for years now, is a measly $100.00 per week, what is wrong with them...when ever they have events, she's there, and works all weekend to help the church, she's a great gal, not a bible tumper, but truly believes in helping people, and how do they pay her back...pay her that? Sheeesh?????? How dare they?
She's 82 years old, and she not only works 3 days a week, but, the woman who is supposed to get the bullitin information ready, doesn't until the last minute so sometimes she puts in 10, 12 hours or more waiting for the information....but the paster never says anything to this woman...the paster tells her there is a meeting tonight, so besides working, she stays for the meeting...they use her, over and over again, as if she has no life....her husband died and they are going to kill her....b/c she's always so tired....and she feels like b/c she's the secretary she has to....and it makes me so mad, Religiion....Christians, yeah, right. Pay this woman for her time for God's sake, you wouldn't get anyone else to do this, for this small amount??????

And we have the nerve to judge others? Or do what this paster is doing...take care of things in your own house, get your own house in order.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

Church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning | 6abc.com

This man is a nut...power hungry and has an agenda...which is going to get him more church money, more members...I cannot beleive the media is covering this....this is going to start a lot of bad things, not to mention, undo everything we've done in the middle east....plus, get our men killed...but, apparently, this extremist...is only concerned about his agenda and not human life....???? The media is coverning this, b/c they are liberal facisits...and all for socialization...people mistakenly mix up the word facisit with Hitler, however, Hitler killing the Jews had nothing to do with Facisium....

It's going to far, and I cannot believe once again, religion is going to get people killed....how are we any better then The Terrorists?

People are sick, sick, sick, and it's time that the Christian community come forth and denouce this act....I can't believe people are standing by and allowing this to happen? We haven't progressed, we've regressed....this act is primitive hype to start problems...and believe you me, if this man goes ahead with this, then every human being who is killed afterwards, he should be held accountable....he will undo everything our men died for in the middle east!
I'm Episcopalian and we've denounced it in very strong terms. Burning books is neither the American Way nor the Christian Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.