Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else ever noticed the fact that a person that used to be VERY worldly (drinking, drugs, major sexual immorality, gangbanger etc) is such a MUCH stronger testimony for Christ than most of the ones that have been good ole Christians all of their life; You know the ones that were born into a Christian family, followed daddy's footsteps in being a pastor etc...
I usually see it as similar to why people tend to follow a firetruck, but not a wedding group.

Believe me, it is SO AWESOME to see what God has done in these people's lives. I have heard some of the most grusome stories of past backgrounds of people that have completely changed their lives around, once they found Jesus. Such awesome testimonies for Christ and they tend to REALLY have an amazing impact on others!
But then you have the ones that have grown up being Christian all of their lives, and sometimes they seem so boring (sorry, I hope everyone understands where I am coming from and don't think I am being callous here ) and so hum drum and have almost NO effect on people as far as evangelizing.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this just me?

Last edited by kawgpz550; 06-30-2007 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: added image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
I think it depends on the way a person accepts the situation.

I had a teenage friend once that told me my mother became a Christian as a crutch because my dad was an alcoholic. Grrr! That didn't set too well with me, but I didn't react to her ignorant comment.

I also have been told my dad became a Christian because he was dying. This is a long story, but I believe this is just how God wanted it to happen.

I think it is awesome when people turn their lives over to God after living the worst of lives such as drugs, drinking, sex, gangs, etc. I have been around many with some stories that will knock your socks off and then lead terrific lives for Christ.

I remember one evangelist who was raised Jewish and converted to Christianity. He had the most horrific tales to tell about his life; he did all the worst of the worst. His testimony is wonderful. I loved to listen to him. He has since passed away, but I will always remember him. I still have a cassette copy of his testimony. It is heart-wrenching and heart-warming as well.

His entire family disowned him because of Christianity, but he always said that the Lord meant more to him than anything, and he could only pray for his family to have a change of heart.

Great thread!!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM

Thanks KewGee!

I've just alway found it rather bizarre. There's a man that was going to our church (they're moving to San Antonio this summer). He was marine (about 10-15 years ago) and was saved while in the military. He used to be VERY mean! I won't go into ALL of his details, but he used to pick on the Christians.
He almost comitted suicide one night in his hotel room. Then he picked up the Gideons Bible (which he is now a member of) and was saved right there that night! He just has the most awesome testimony and is SO FULL OF ENERGY for Christ! When he talks, people listen!
I think it's wonderful that he can have such an amazing impact on people! But it is kind of sad, when you think about it, that someone like my pastor and his son, that have been Christians all of their lives, barely have any impact on people .
Can you imagine the impact that some of our Atheist friends would have on people, if they were to convert?!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Kawg, about the picture..My impression is probably one of a kind but IMO there is something feightening about this to me..I really may have a hard time explaining this..Something about shape of the islands in the foreground disturb me. I can't explain it, but usually nature pictures have a soothing effect on me..I also wonder why the sun seems to be out of focus and nothing else is..Maybe the artist was was expressing fear and beauty at the same time? Maybe he has captured good and evil in this image..Maybe the image was from the mind of someone in your first thought about the people who are the "worst" seem to be the"best" after their conversion, and he is trying to depict how some may see good as evil and some see evil as good..Maybe I am just a crazy old gal that needs another cup of coffee

Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Kawg, about the picture..My impression is probably one of a kind but IMO there is something feightening about this to me..I really may have a hard time explaining this..Something about shape of the islands in the foreground disturb me. I can't explain it, but usually nature pictures have a soothing effect on me..I also wonder why the sun seems to be out of focus and nothing else is..Maybe the artist was was expressing fear and beauty at the same time? Maybe he has captured good and evil in this image..Maybe the image was from the mind of someone in your first thought about the people who are the "worst" seem to be the"best" after their conversion, and he is trying to depict how some may see good as evil and some see evil as good..Maybe I am just a crazy old gal that needs another cup of coffee
I think...
you're MUCH better at interpreting art than I am . Ok maybe I shouldn't have put that picture there . Kind of misleading, now that I look at it lol

Old 06-30-2007, 11:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I think...
you're MUCH better at interpreting art than I am . Ok maybe I shouldn't have put that picture there . Kind of misleading, now that I look at it lol
I am glad you posted it Kawg, I am really interested in someone elses opinion..Besides my mind is not so good this morning, because I was up very late waiting to see if I was gonna be a cyber granny

Old 06-30-2007, 12:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Has anyone else ever noticed the fact that a person that used to be VERY worldly (drinking, drugs, major sexual immorality, gangbanger etc) is such a MUCH stronger testimony for Christ than most of the ones that have been good ole Christians all of their life; You know the ones that were born into a Christian family, followed daddy's footsteps in being a pastor etc...
I usually see it as similar to why people tend to follow a firetruck, but not a wedding group.

Believe me, it is SO AWESOME to see what God has done in these people's lives. I have heard some of the most grusome stories of past backgrounds of people that have completely changed their lives around, once they found Jesus. Such awesome testimonies for Christ and they tend to REALLY have an amazing impact on others!
But then you have the ones that have grown up being Christian all of their lives, and sometimes they seem so boring (sorry, I hope everyone understands where I am coming from and don't think I am being callous here ) and so hum drum and have almost NO effect on people as far as evangelizing.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this just me?

I was born into a Christian family and my parents were and are pastors of a non-denominational church in the charismatic vein. I lived in a Christian bubble...no non-Christian friends, school, music, or parties of any kind. No dancing, of course no being alone with the opposite sex, nothing! I was in church every time the doors were open, which was often.

I strayed very far for alot of years. I did drugs, drank, the whole sha-bang. And while I regret some of it, overall I see it as something I needed to do.

What? Needed to go out and sin? Perhaps that wasn't the best way, but think about this...how do we learn about things? From opposites! Hot from cold, bitter from sweet, pleasure from pain, ect. How was I to know how good the Lord is if I had never experienced anything else? Believe me, my faith is so much more now than it ever was before.

Now I can agree with the Bible. Sin is fun for a season, but ultimately unfulfilling!

My buddy was harping on me for being the "boy in the bubble" awhile back, because as a kid I lived in the Christian bubble! I said to him, "Yeah, but what if I had stayed in that bubble and never come out? How many people would I be able to relate and minister to then?" He had to agree, not very many at all.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 PM

401 posts, read 685,542 times
Those who have been forgiven of much love much.
Those that have been Christian most of their lives don't realize all that that have been delievered from.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
Very interesting question kawpgz! I have thought a lot about this subject too and totally see where you're coming from. (makes me think maybe I shoulda gone out having sex and doing drugs before I joined my church!) j/k of coarse. But in all honesty I have thought what it would be like to live a different "worldy" lifestyle you know, nothing dramatic or anything just having more "fun" as the world defines it. And I've wondered if I had had a more "dark" and "depressing" life if I would be stronger now.
I think there are many Christians though that are very strong and don't need to have lived a certain way (you know what you described) to know how bad and wrong it is. But there are others that for reasons known only to God need to learn some very hard lessons before coming to Christ and sometimes because of those hardships they are stronger because I think a lot of times they appreciate more what they have because they have firsthand knowledge of the "dark" side. (boy was that a run on )

Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
Those who have been forgiven of much love much.
Those that have been Christian most of their lives don't realize all that that have been delievered from.
So are you saying I should go out and do some big sinning so I can better come to a realization of what I have? (I'm not being sarcastic this is an honest question that I've thought a lot about)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality