Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

After doing plenty of research, it has become clear to me that "One nation under God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance, and "In God We Trust" should be removed from printed money. I used to be staunchly opposed to the removal of these phrases, but now I am very much for the removal of these phrases.

The U.S. was never, I repeat, never founded as a Christian nation. Not a single word in the original Constitution mentions or makes reference to God or Jesus. Our founding fathers intended for this nation to be a secular nation, not a religious institution.

The phrases "In God We Trust" and "One Nation under God" were not even added until the 1950s. They were added because during those times, the Soviet Union was a major superpower with atheist leaders. Because the communist nation had atheist leaders, the U.S. didn't want to associate capitalism with atheism, so Congress approved having those two phrases implemented in our money and pledge of allegiance.

It is now clear to me, and I am in full support of removal of these phrases from the national pledge of allegiance and our money. Likewise, I continue to support full freedom of religion by any American, just as our founding fathers intended in the Constitution.

I hope this makes sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
At this point I couldn't care less, we are a nation divided and under God, under allah or under common sense doesn't apply and changing the pledge will not cause any change in anyone behavior any more than putting it there changed anyone in the first place.

You can put there is no God on the money for all I care as long as I can spend it.

None of that will add or detract from me being a productive citizen nor does it have any effect on my faith whatsoever.

Let the dead bury their dead.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I don't care if they remove "under God" in the pledge or not - I haven't said it for years and I probably never will. I have a feeling that it will stay in there simply because of the backlash it would cause if they tried to take it out again. My way of handling it is simply to leave it out on my own.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Do kids even recite the pledge anymore in school??? I remember it being the first thing they did everyday...but I don't think that is the case anymore.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
After doing plenty of research, it has become clear to me that "One nation under God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance, and "In God We Trust" should be removed from printed money. I used to be staunchly opposed to the removal of these phrases, but now I am very much for the removal of these phrases.

The U.S. was never, I repeat, never founded as a Christian nation. Not a single word in the original Constitution mentions or makes reference to God or Jesus. Our founding fathers intended for this nation to be a secular nation, not a religious institution.

The phrases "In God We Trust" and "One Nation under God" were not even added until the 1950s. They were added because during those times, the Soviet Union was a major superpower with atheist leaders. Because the communist nation had atheist leaders, the U.S. didn't want to associate capitalism with atheism, so Congress approved having those two phrases implemented in our money and pledge of allegiance.

It is now clear to me, and I am in full support of removal of these phrases from the national pledge of allegiance and our money. Likewise, I continue to support full freedom of religion by any American, just as our founding fathers intended in the Constitution.

I hope this makes sense
Oh Nep you harmless little bunny you. We miss you on the CT forum.

Which "creator" did you think they were referencing? Do you not think the "creator" is God?

What about Washington when he said this in his farewell address to the nation:
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
Being a self admitted homosexual, I can understand why the belief in God can be threatening to you. Really I can. Also understanding that you have never ventured much past your small town and have never even been two towns over from where you live - ever, and living a sheltered life in a rich family, it makes sense why you would have a myopic view of things.

However, if you open your eyes a bit, you'll see that our founders were anything but secular. Thousands of documents and letters prove that fact.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh Nep you harmless little bunny you. We miss you on the CT forum.

Which "creator" did you think they were referencing? Do you not think the "creator" is God?

What about Washington when he said this in his farewell address to the nation:
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
Being a self admitted homosexual, I can understand why the belief in God can be threatening to you. Really I can. Also understanding that you have never ventured much past your small town and have never even been two towns over from where you live - ever, and living a sheltered life in a rich family, it makes sense why you would have a myopic view of things.

However, if you open your eyes a bit, you'll see that our founders were anything but secular. Thousands of documents and letters prove that fact.
Um..I have been around more than you think. I don't know why you think I lived in a small town forever without leaving.

The founding fathers may have been religious on a personal level, but they didn't write the Constitution with religion cooked into it.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Do kids even recite the pledge anymore in school??? I remember it being the first thing they did everyday...but I don't think that is the case anymore.
Yes, they still do it every morning in many schools.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:56 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
At this point I couldn't care less, we are a nation divided and under God, under allah or under common sense doesn't apply and changing the pledge will not cause any change in anyone behavior any more than putting it there changed anyone in the first place.

You can put there is no God on the money for all I care as long as I can spend it.

None of that will add or detract from me being a productive citizen nor does it have any effect on my faith whatsoever.

Let the dead bury their dead.
Putting "In God We Trust" on our worthless paper with all of it's pagan symbols representing our financial scamming and our builders, who know NOTHING of God's love, and which has created such destruction around the world is so...........

I don't have words for it. It's Babylon at it's best, I guess.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

This was the pledge that I said as a young child in school.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Um..I have been around more than you think. I don't know why you think I lived in a small town forever without leaving.
Oh I'm sure you've left and "toured" a bit, but in your own words on the CT forum you have not even been two towns over from yours (3 miles away) and only went through on the interstate, remember? lol

Quote:
The founding fathers may have been religious on a personal level, but they didn't write the Constitution with religion cooked into it.
There is more than just the Constitution that is considered our founding documents, you do realize this right?

Here, you can start with this one:

The Declaration of Independence
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality