Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times

Advertisements

My spirits...(Yes I have more than one) are kept in my liquor cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You're making the mistaken assumption that all non-believers believe in supernatural things like "spirits". Sorry, massive fail. I don't have a spirit in the sense that you believers mean it when you say "soul" or "spirit". Neither do you, except in your imagination.

I have consciousness, sentience, intelligence, et cetera, but all of those will cease the moment I die. Nothing will continue on except the physical meat I leave behind when my brain and body quit functioning, and even that meat will be gone soon enough afterwards.

No. I didn't make any assumption based on someone who believes in religion or doesn't believe in religion. I am asking people who practice religion to answer the question I posted. Maybe you're taking the question personally and thought I was speaking directly to you, which is fine, but I didn't have athiests in mind in when I presented my original question.

I would actually like to have people who practice an organized religion to answer this question, especially because I asked this question in my original post:

Quote:
If you didn't have religion , would you know how to find your spirit?
Not necessarily asking for atheists to answer this question, but all answers are welcome.

And don't make assumptions about me. I do not follow any organized religion. And I'm not a "so called believer".

I think that's a FAIL on your part. It seems to me that a lot of the atheists around here who answered this question have a chip on their shoulder, and something to prove.

If you don't HAVE RELIGION, is this question directed toward you? Ask yourself that before you answer the question.

The question is quite simple. Stick to answering the question without being supercilious about it.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 10-04-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No. I didn't make any assumption based on someone who believes in religion or doesn't believe in religion. I didn't ask anyone in particular to answer the question I posted. Maybe you're taking the question personally and thought I was speaking directly to you, which is fine, but I didn't have anyone in mind in particular when I presented that question.

I would actually like to have people who practice an organized religion to answer this question, especially when I asked this question in my original post:

Not necessarily asking for atheists to answer this question, but all answers are welcome.

And don't make assumptions about me. I do not follow any organized religion. And I'm not a "so called believer".

I think that's a FAIL on your part. It seems to me that a lot of the atheists around here who answered this question have a chip on their shoulder, and something to prove.

The question is quite simple. Stick to answering the question without being supercilious about it.
The mistake was yours. In the OP you either a) made a very mistaken assumption, or b) worded the OP VERY poorly.

You asked "Outside of a religious philosophy would you know how to find your spirit?" Worded this way, it is logical for the reader to infer that you think spirits exist. If you did not believe they exist, or you don't know if they exist, then you should have worded the question differently.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The mistake was yours. In the OP you either a) made a very mistaken assumption, or b) worded the OP VERY poorly.

You asked "Outside of a religious philosophy would you know how to find your spirit?" Worded this way, it is logical for the reader to infer that you think spirits exist. If you did not believe they exist, or you don't know if they exist, then you should have worded the question differently.
No. I asked ONE question which was worded perfectly and then expounded on it.

You should have read the original question and decided to answer or not.

IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE RELIGION, WOULD YOU KNOW HOW TO FIND YOUR SPIRIT. (Assuming the person who answers actually practices a religion)
"Outside of a religious philosophy would you know how to find your spirit?" (Assuming the person who answers actually practices a religion)

If you're NOT RELIGIOUS, IS THIS QUESTION DIRECTED TOWARD YOU?

Why do atheists have a chip on their shoulder around here? So you don't have a spirit. So what?

If I made any mistake it was by not posting this in the Christianity forum. Instead I posted it in the superforum Religion/Philosophy. I thought I would get more answers from philosophers and people who practice organized religions. - didn't think I'd get attacked by atheists because I asked a question they thought was directed toward them to answer for some odd reason. More and more I am learning that Atheist = chip on shoulder.

The question isn't for you to answer - why be snippy about it because I asked a question you felt compelled to answer?

Last edited by LuckyGem; 10-04-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My spirits...(Yes I have more than one) are kept in my liquor cabinet.
Ha! I like that. My spirits don't stick around long enough to reside in a cabinet!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,301 times
Quote:
Just a simple question.

Outside of a religious philosophy would you know how to find your spirit?

And if you can, define what that spirit is, where it resides, and how you found it.

And if you cannot find your spirit outside of practicing an organized religion, tell how you find your comfortable place inside the skin you're wearing in the incarnation of life you find yourself in today.
If you didn't have religion, then why would you be looking for a spirit anyway? There's no spirit to "find"....

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
If you didn't have religion, then why would you be looking for a spirit anyway? There's no spirit to "find"....
As foreign as the idea may be to you, there are people who do not practice organized religions who believe they have a spirit.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,336,897 times
Quote:
Just a simple question.

Outside of a religious philosophy would you know how to find your spirit?

And if you can, define what that spirit is, where it resides, and how you found it.
I actually found my spirit BEFORE I "found" my religion.

My spirit resides in me, outside of me and in everyone and everything. But all of us only get 1% of spirit and sometimes it gets overshadowed by the primitive nature of humans and be hard to find and connect with inside yourself and with others.

I found my spirit by learning how to meditate, shutting off my brain, and just being very, very still. When I turned "me" off, I had a sense of something else outside of me that was also inside of me and that talked to me (not literally, but in the form of ideas) in my brain. Many people write of this experience and could probably describe it in far better detail than I.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post

There are many native cultures that don't believe in religion but believe in spirits, you don't have to believe in Christianity, Islam or Judaism or any other kind of organized religion to believe in spirits.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,336,897 times
Your spirit is like your appendix. Even if you don't know it's there, it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality