Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You can't do anything objectively. Because you're involved, you always bring your own biases into anything you do.
Not necessarily ...I study or investigate many things or ideas to simply satisfy my curiosity...No bias involved. For instance I have recently found out about a group of species that never ages and potentially could live forever if it were not for predation...Anybody with a modicum of curiosity about the world around them does this without bias, as do many scientists.

Perhaps a scientist will study this immortal life form with the goal of finding the gene that causes it not to age in order to increase the human life span...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
You can't help but have a bias. Even if it's a subject you know nothing about.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Charles? YOUR bias is showing.

You couldn't study God objectively, because you've already made up your mind.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
You are being obsinate to the point of being ridiculous.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Charles? YOUR bias is showing.

You couldn't study God objectively, because you've already made up your mind.

Wrong again. I have not made up my mind. god may exist. I am just waiting for someone to provide more evidence. However the more I study it, the more evidence there is that suggests religiosity and spirituality are psychological states of mind. Meaning, there are a lot of valid reasons and arguments for why people believe in god. Many of these reasons are related to how the brain works, how we protect ourselves, how we cope, how we control and want to be controlled, how we socialize, why we socialize, how we desire to be part of a group and how we manage risk.

That may be why there are different religions and languages in different parts of the world. It is probably no coincidence. People have historically banded together for protection and to live more efficiently. Religion and government have served to bind people.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Wrong objectivity, DA. Can your god be studied independent of personal bias.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For instance I have recently found out about a group of species that never ages and potentially could live forever if it were not for predation....
"Turritopsis nutricula"?

Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"Turritopsis nutricula"?
I heard the same thing about some turtles. We sit at a potential problem with negative senescent, which is that our pithy 80 year lives pales in comparison to 500+ year old species (and going). Do they just have incredibly long lives, or are they negatively senescent? (Is that a proper phrasing?)

Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"Turritopsis nutricula"?
Sea anemones are very long-lived, reaching 60-80 years and more. Like other Cnidarians, they do not age, meaning they have the potential to live indefinitely. Most fall prey to predators before a good age is reached. http://www.oceanicresearch.org/educa...cnidarian.html

The jellyfish ( Turritopsis nutriculais) is a member of the same family.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Of course it's possible. In fact, I spent decades of my life trying to decide just which side of the fence I was on. After all is said, there's no proving the answer.

Then, I started actually paying attention to my life, my inner life. I thought about all the times when that still, small "voice" inside would advise me against and action that I would do anyway, and the disasters that resulted. I thought about the times I did follow it, and the rewards I reaped. After that, I discovered the overwhelming peace I felt when I decided to acknowledge that inner presence as my in-dwelling God.

I don't buy the Christian rhetoric hoodoo, but I know now that there certainly is a God presence that exists beyond the physical world we live in, and it is there where peace exists. The Buddhists call it The Buddha. True Christians know it as The Christ. True Muslims know it as Allah.

Whatever you want to call it, I can give testimony to its existence without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality