Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times

Advertisements

What's your philosophy?

Mines is that everything no matter how big or small happens for a reason. That we are all eternal souls having a human experience, and this human experience is one of our most precious times for our souls to develop. Time is NOT linear, more cyclical like the seasons on Earth.

I have more but...it would be more of ramble rather than discussion

Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
What's your philosophy?

Mines is that everything no matter how big or small happens for a reason. That we are all eternal souls having a human experience, and this human experience is one of our most precious times for our souls to develop. Time is NOT linear, more cyclical like the seasons on Earth.

So ramble on, sounds like it might be interesting.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
What's your philosophy?

I don't believe in fate or destiny, which is what you're basically referring to when you say that everything happens for a reason. Yes, there are causes and effects, but there's no driving intelligence behind them that makes it impossible for you to change the outcome of your life.

I don't believe in eternal souls, or in souls at all, for that matter. You have your particular lifespan, then you die and you're gone. That part of you that made you uniquely the person you are is gone, and it didn't go anywhere. It just ceases to exist.

As far as time being linear or not, it doesn't matter, because human beings can only move through it in one direction.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So ramble on, sounds like it might be interesting.
In due time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't believe in fate or destiny, which is what you're basically referring to when you say that everything happens for a reason. Yes, there are causes and effects, but there's no driving intelligence behind them that makes it impossible for you to change the outcome of your life.

I don't believe in eternal souls, or in souls at all, for that matter. You have your particular lifespan, then you die and you're gone. That part of you that made you uniquely the person you are is gone, and it didn't go anywhere. It just ceases to exist.

As far as time being linear or not, it doesn't matter, because human beings can only move through it in one direction.
Mmmm... I see what your saying.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

The bolded word ^^^ belies the logic of "from dust to dust"...

Just saying...

Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Post mmmm...

I don't know. I have a very deep rooted spirituality, but I'm not convinced about this 'religion' thing. I've been tossed from Catholic to Protestant to nearly being drowned while being baptised Mormon. Can't get a grasp on the robes and pomp and circumstance of alot of it. All the excesses and deprevations. I've walked out of many 'sermons' when it became obvious that there was no 'true' meaning to what was being said. Even left a church once when I was actually told that my 'offering' wasn't enough (I actually removed my offering from the container, said 'then you get nothing', and I got up and left. So, I just don't know about it all. I do know...that all roads have led me back to where I am now, for a reason. It will present itself soon enough. Until then, I wait and keep watching and continue to do good and make those around me happy.
Koale

Old 11-14-2010, 04:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I don't know. I have a very deep rooted spirituality, but I'm not convinced about this 'religion' thing. I've been tossed from Catholic to Protestant to nearly being drowned while being baptised Mormon. Can't get a grasp on the robes and pomp and circumstance of alot of it. All the excesses and deprevations. I've walked out of many 'sermons' when it became obvious that there was no 'true' meaning to what was being said. Even left a church once when I was actually told that my 'offering' wasn't enough (I actually removed my offering from the container, said 'then you get nothing', and I got up and left. So, I just don't know about it all. I do know...that all roads have led me back to where I am now, for a reason. It will present itself soon enough. Until then, I wait and keep watching and continue to do good and make those around me happy.
Koale
Our heart dictates that we use the spiritual "mind" to separate the wheat from the tares...

Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
The bolded word ^^^ belies the logic of "from dust to dust"...

Just saying...
Explain why you think that, please.

460 posts, read 592,827 times
Everyone has a religion: "a way of life; a set of beliefs regarding living one's life."

Religion does not have to be organized.

Even the atheist has a religion, taking the meaning in its fullest context.

Another religious concept: practicing what one preaches.

The largest religious grouping should be called the Church of Me. I am the center of the universe, and everyone and everything else be damned.

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
I don't believe "everything happens for a reason". Humans give purpose and meaning to things that happen. I don't believe that anyone is conducting the universe, designing the movement of the planets, planning, purposing, or controlling what goes on in the cosmos. In short, I don't think anyone is in charge out there.

Humans, and perhaps other life forms with a mind, may purpose, plan, design, conduct, and give reason to things that they have the power to influence. But, outside of that I think there are only antecedents and subsequents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality