Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 AM

32 posts, read 73,404 times

Advertisements

I decided to move a reasonable distance away and let her handle this situation herself. My mother in law was very happy to answer this girl's question and went on to explain to her about our religion and customs and how we prefer to dress modestly, and that Allah Almighty requires us to do this. However, this was not the answer this girl was looking for so she retorted: "Thanks for sharing!," then spun around and stormed off.

Now, in my home country, our elders are quite used to being highly respected by those who are younger than them and being served by them. For this reason, it did not even occur to my mother in law that this question could have been anything more than a young girl respectfully asking an innocent question of a trusted elder, and I hated to tell her otherwise. I would have hated for her to leave Canada thinking that all Canadians or all Christians speak this way to their elders since I know that this is not the true case. However, this episode did indeed sadden me.

Many non-Muslims feel sorry for any Muslim women they see adorned in their modest clothing. They feel that they are deprived the freedom to roam around in more scant and revealing clothing. Anyone who lives in a manner other that which they have become accustomed to is seen by them to be oppressed and forced to live in this manner. There are certain tribes in the Amazon jungle, in Australia, and in Africa which have become accustomed to walking around in a simple g-string around their waist. What would the people of the West say if these people were to condemn the Western habit of "forcing" their women to wear "excessive amounts of clothing" and to demand that all women in the west immediately stop wearing anything but the simplest g-string around their waist? What if they were to say that the Western society should immediately stop unjustly persecuting their women and preventing them from freely roaming the streets wearing only a pair of socks? They would say that the people making these demands have no morals or shame. Philosophers would have a field day with such a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by salma12006
Quote:
What would the people of the West say if these people were to condemn the Western habit of "forcing" their women to wear "excessive amounts of clothing" and to demand that all women in the west immediately stop wearing anything but the simplest g-string around their waist?
LoL good point.
Besides I wouldn't mind if the women of the West would adhere to the g-string dress code.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,116,885 times
I have no problem with a Muslim woman dressing modestly, or even covering her face if it is her choice to do so. I do have a problem when I hear a news report about terrorists who have set a school on fire in a Muslim country, and when the female teachers and students run out of the school because it is on fire - are forced by the terrorist to go back into the burning school for their head coverings. I have a problem with the punishment of a woman by a man, because she is not covered. A woman should have the freedom to choose whether or not she wants to be covered, and if she chooses not to, then it is for God to decide whether or not she will receive punishment. This isn't about scant clothing, it is about freedom of choice.

I believe a woman can dress modestly, without being completely covered from head to toe. Why must her face and head be completely covered? Why do men not have to be completely covered?

Say what you want salma - Muslim women in muslim countries are not equal, & do not have the same freedoms afforded men. Muslim women in America, and in the democratic west - have the freedom to choose!!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by poconoproud
Quote:
Muslim women in America, and in the democratic west - have the freedom to choose!!
To a certain degree. There are religions that bar women from certain positions.
Even in the west.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 AM

Dear poconoproud

first one , i am happy to see open mind like you who wants to discuss to reach for truth
and i will be happy to anwser your Qaustions and be your friend if that ok for you.

the news that you hear it about women school is right but not at all & and the complte truth is ( there is fire in women school in my country by some problem may be from gas then the firemen not came and the police not allowed women to came out the school as you said there is no cover on their head) and right as you rejected that , Islam make system for emangncy so if islam say to women covering her head , islam allwoed to her to come out with out cover if that will let she die and the wrong thing that ocurred that police not did the right when they not allwoed women out.

second: the freedom for women is unclear word becuse , if you mean allowed women to learn in school , to be teacher, doctor and ...ect job and control her moeny to open a project there is no any problems with islam but the problems came from the muslims and you can not say if muslim be a terrorist his family will be like this so when a muslim man try to force his sister or wife to contral her and not allwoed her to open project not to be teacher if she want to be ... ect , islam reject that and for exampleur massanger 'wife had comurce so islam need women to be doctor to serve women and ...ect

as i said to you
i hope to be your friend
salma12006@yahoo.com

sorry for wrong words

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Salma, you and I are people of the book, and it is important that we understand and accept each other. Yes, if friendship is what you offer, then I accept and reciprocate.

I do understand that women do have some freedoms, but having some freedoms, and being completely free and equal are somewhat different in my opinion. I am just a strong champion for human rights, not just womens rights. I'm glad when you tell me that girls and women are schooled, can become teachers and doctors and control their money.
That is certainly a working start toward complete freedom. Unfortunately, we hear our fair share of horror stories, as I am sure you do about our country.

Have you any interests outside of your religion, Salma? I'd really like to know what else
you like. Have you traveled? Do you do any kind of art work? Do you have a job, or do you go to school? Tell us a little about yourself, friend.

I like to write poetry, I have 3 beautiful kids, and I help out at my husbands home building company.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM

dear poconoproud age 27work: recaptioneduaction: secondray schoolmaried from 4 months ago muslimlike reading, make frindship with peoples

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM

You're a newlywed! Congratulations on your new marriage!

Tell me what you love most about your home town.

I love the beauty of the farms and mountains near my home.

My children go to a very good school, where there is a lot of diversity. My children have friends from many countries, whose families have moved to our town. I love that, because it has given me a chance to meet families that are from Poland, Germany, Spain, Puerto Rico, Albania, and many other countries around the world. We have had special events at the school to celebrate that diversity. So many people in one room with so many different belief systems and so many differences of opinion about religion, politics, and life in general, you would think we would all erupt into argument and defend our positions - but no, we all know in our hearts that we are there for our children's education and future and we all get along great.

Making friendship with people is an important step in understanding where they come from, and I am beginning to understand more about you.

At first, I admit, I mistrusted your motives. Now, I am beginning to see that you want to teach understanding and tolerance of your religion.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM

54 posts, read 333,508 times
cover of head very important becouse allah said that in all of relegion books

Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 AM

right mahir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality