Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,134 times

Advertisements

TK you should cheer sick kids up for a living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
I buying my kids a whole bunch of presents and doing the whole deal. I love it.
I would say I'm really blessed, so long as you know I mean it in a metaphorical way.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM

7,601 posts, read 6,104,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Dude, we already know that you hate other humans, are antisocial, and think the whole world stinks. Good on ya, hole up by yourself and waste your feeble existence on being a sorry old grinchy grouch.

We. Don't. Care.

Especially since most of the rest of us are having a great time with our lives, and actually allow ourselves to enjoy the world. Kthxbye.

Yeah we are already having fun here. But the Christmas Spirit need not be limited to a mass of materialism. It can just simply be fun for fun's sake. And a great way to teach the kids to be unselfish, and to set a good example. Yes, the materialism is something we are discussing , but the holiday need not be limited to just that......

Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,694,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yes, the materialism is something we are discussing , but the holiday need not be limited to just that......
Never said it should. People should celebrate however they like, it's a freakin' holiday ferchristssake.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
i'am going to attempt to somehow witness the solstice.

Isn't the only requirement to witness the solstice is to be alive when it happens?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Moderators: please move this to the correct forum, because I wasn't certain what the right one would be.

Regardless of your beliefs, how many of you are buying into the consumerism that comes around this time every year? How many of you are going to have gifts sitting under the tree Christmas morning, followed by a big dinner with as many people as you can stuff into one house?

Personally, I'm not having any of it. No tree, no gifts. My dinner is going to be a Banquet TV dinner that I pop in the microwave. I'm already sick of the Christmas music they're playing at work (and no customers are in the store so they COULD change the channel for us, as they have done in previous years).

I'm considering bringing in a radio to work, and maybe blasting it over top of the Christmas music. I need to see if I can find some speed metal too, maybe then I can blast past the most productive guy in the department, instead of being just second best.

Christmas music is too mellow, and slows all of us down.

Sir, have you ever thought of starting your own kids television show? How about clown college? I think you may have missed your calling.

No. no wait I've got it.............Preschool teacher!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,635,685 times
Quote:
As long as it means treating it like any other day. That I can do. I don't do parties either.
LOL you crack me up TKramar......bah humbug. I guess I'm kinda on the same level but I put up a tree for my son who's 21. When he moves out I'll probably not do it anymore and be eating a frozen tv dinner also.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 PM

733 posts, read 4,657,348 times
Wow, somebody needs to read Dicken's Christmas Carol [the original, not some tarted up modern version] and try to understand Scrooge's transformation!

Note the comments below...

Quote:
Regardless of your beliefs, how many of you are buying into the consumerism that comes around this time every year? Consumerism? Nope, don't buy into it. We've been financially conservative since day one and many of our gifts are made in the shop in the shed or baked in our kitchen. How many of you are going to have gifts sitting under the tree Christmas morning, followed by a big dinner with as many people as you can stuff into one house? See the previous comment on gifts. We have a huge dinner, several hundred people, at my Masonic Temple. We invite the whole town and welcome anybody and everybody...the lonely, the disenfranchised, anyone at all. And my lodge brothers and I give it all away. Best Christmas dinner you could possibly have!

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2010 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Please refrain from using "red" in posts as it is reserved for "mod cuts" and moderator actions within posts. ~Thanks!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,381,435 times
My husband hates Christmas, and won't even allow a Christmas tree in the house. I don't really care about celebrating any more now that my kids are grown.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
I still enjoy the Xmas bit, even though I'm an atheist. It's just fun. I regard it as a tradition in my family (lots of good food) and as a celebration of the the passing of the Winter Solstice. The days are beginning to get longer again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality