Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Oh they always say, "God Has Left Me Here For A Purpose." Then most of them continue to struggle through without ever accumulating fifty grand or a dozen friends.
^so true. i might add to the list of continued struggles...the struggle with poor health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
^so true. i might add to the list of continued struggles...the struggle with poor health.
An acquaintance of ours was an avid jogger. Once when I was very impressed by his dedication to running five miles a day...before work, I asked him if he wanted to live forever. He politely countered with, "Actually I'm cursing myself, the longer one lives the more likely they are to die in an undesireable way." I asked him what that meant and he only mentioned alzheimers so I didn't pursue the thing.

Red Skelton said, "The Only Exercise I Get Is When I Serve As Pallbearer For My Friends Who Exercise."

Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Default school board member says God blocked the bullet

The video didn't show any blocked shots, just lousy aim by the gunman.

Luckily for the school board members, the security guard was a better shot.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because god cares about some fat old white Floridian more than he cares about millions of starving children. Besides, this is no miracle of god...does anyone realize just how difficult it is to make a killing shot with a handgun, even at close range? Especially if you're not trained to do so.
Yep, sounds exactly like the christian god that many here profess is a loving and caring deity

But why didn't he also block the bullet the gunman put in his own head, after all the christian god is sold as an all loving god caring for everyone. Guess that is also a myth.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The video didn't show any blocked shots, just lousy aim by the gunman.

Luckily for the school board members, the security guard was a better shot.
yes, he did respond in a nick of time.
"God allowed security guard to outshoot gunman."

Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I saw that video also and personally I think it was poor marksmanship.
Looks like round #2 went into the floor I figure that was the first time that guy had fired a gun.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yep, sounds exactly like the christian god that many here profess is a loving and caring deity

But why didn't he also block the bullet the gunman put in his own head, after all the christian god is sold as an all loving god caring for everyone. Guess that is also a myth.
that's not fair. you know the gunman was the antagonist in this myth/situation.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
God spared me more than once in Vietnam. You will know it when it happens to you.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God spared me more than once in Vietnam. You will know it when it happens to you.
Thank you so much for your service. i'am a freer person because of people like you. Thank you.

i do know.
i don't know if it was God or lesser beings but it was other than 3D on more than one occasion.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,264 times
Default You know.....

It would have been much simpler if God had struck the gunmen down with a heart attack as he entered the door instead of scaring that poor guy with a close call. I guess God was bored and needed some entertainment that day.

anyhow...

I suppose if someone other than the gunman had been shot and killed in this incident, it would have simply been their time to go. God is always in control after all and everything happens for a reason.

I guess in the Virgina Tech shooting that happened a few years ago, God simply decided it was those students time to go. He just sat on the sideline and did nothing to save those who died on that day. Probably because of some unforgiven sin, knowing how kids at that age are.

Seriously though, what an idiotic idea it is to think that God is up there (or wherever) playing Russian roulette with our lives, deciding if he would or wouldn't save us when/if our lives are ever in danger. If we insist on the idea that God saving Mr fat, old Floridian is true, then we also have to entertain the idea of him not giving a damn in all the non-happy endings in situations such as these.

It's insulting to anyone who's ever lost a loved to violence for someone to come out and say "God saved me. Look at me I'm special!!!" No, you're not special, just lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality