Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,787 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in "Politics and other Controversies".

Apparently, a Hindu gave the opening prayer in the Senate today. Unfortunately, he was interrupted by protesters (broken link).

I had no idea Senate hearings started with prayer. It strikes me as extremely inappropriate. If they're determined to do this, it should be open to different faiths. I wonder what an Atheist prayer would sound like.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Yeah I didn't know the Senate opened up with a prayer. I guess though they do it because I don't know of a politician out there who has claimed to be an atheist Of course, they do that for votes but I believe that they are not separating church and state when doing so, but oh well, what are you going to do??

As far as an atheist prayer goes. When I get elected to the Senate and I give the first prayer it'll go a little something like this: "Thank you Mr. Bacteria for evolving into a multicelled organism and over billions and millions of years evolving into a human so that I can stand here and give this prayer."

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
GCSTroop wrote:
Quote:
"Thank you Mr. Bacteria for evolving into a multicelled organism and over billions and millions of years evolving into a human so that I can stand here and give this prayer."
Your posts are getting better all the time.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM

267 posts, read 533,647 times
Prayer should be private. I'd get in trouble if I stood over the cash register at work saying 'oh lord let this day be good, bless this cash register. And if it's not too much trouble I don't wanna be robbed or shot'

I think they should pray before they come to the senate.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
I hate to say it, but the response of the protesters seems so typical. They are all about freedom of religion if it means their religion, to heck with anyone else's beliefs.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Yeah, just to give you guys an added level of comfort next time your flying. I used to work with a guy who was also an aircraft mechanic. I had actually been on the same shift as him before but never really on an airplane fixing anything with him. Well, I was paired up with him for the first time and we went out to a very simple job. Before we stepped foot on the plane he kind of bowed his head and said a quick prayer. I had to ask "What was that for?" And he said "I'm just praying that God helps me remember how to fix this airplane."

Just remember, there are people like that! LOL

Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Senate Organization > Chaplain's Office

Quote:
Chaplain's Office
Chaplain Barry C. Black
Barry C. Black

Throughout the years, the United States Senate has honored the historic separation of Church and State, but not the separation of God and State. The first Senate, meeting in New York City on April 25, 1789, elected the Right Reverend Samuel Provost, the Episcopal Bishop of New York, as its first Chaplain. During the past two hundred and seven years, all sessions of the Senate have been opened with prayer, strongly affirming the Senate's faith in God as Sovereign Lord of our Nation. The role of the Chaplain as spiritual advisor and counselor has expanded over the years from a part-time position to a full-time job as one of the Officers of the Senate. The Office of the Chaplain is nonpartisan, nonpolitical, and nonsectarian.

Duties of the Senate Chaplain

In addition to opening the Senate each day in prayer, Chaplain Black’s duties include counseling and spiritual care for the Senators, their families and their staffs, a combined constituency of six thousand people. Chaplain Black’s days are filled with meeting Senators about spiritual and moral issues, assisting Senators’ staffs with research on theological and biblical questions, teaching Senate Bible study groups, encouraging such groups as the weekly Senate Prayer Breakfast, and facilitating discussion and reflection small groups among Senators and staff.

In order to stay informed of the needs of the Senate community, Chaplain Black maintains a program with a volunteer liaison in each office to assist him. A member of his staff directs this program.
Chaplain of the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the most famous Chaplains of the US Senate: Peter Marshall. His wife wrote a book about her husband. A Man Called Peter
Quote:
Catherine Marshall later married divorcee Leonard LeSourd, editor of Guideposts Magazine. She wrote over 20 books, including the best-selling novel Christy based on her mother's experiences as a young Appalachian teacher, which became a television series. Peter Marshall's life was the subject of her book A Man Called Peter, which was later made into an Oscar-winning film, A Man Called Peter (1955) directed by Henry Koster and featuring Richard Todd as Peter Marshall.[1]. Todd studied tape recordings of several Peter Marshall sermons from 1947-48; some of these historic recordings were later released to the public by Caedmon Records. Catherine died on March 18, 1983 and was buried next to her first husband, Peter Marshall.
So yes, prayer has ALWAYS been a part of the US Senate. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality