Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I take my relationship with God very seriously and knowing the origins of the holiday as I do, I can't conscientiously allow myself to celebrate it. Almost all the practices associated with it have nothing to do w/ the birth of Christ but are actually connected to the pagan Winter Solstice which fell on the dates surrounding Dec 25th.
I've always been puzzled by that. 25 December must be the birth of Santa Claus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM

668 posts, read 682,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
I've always been puzzled by that. 25 December must be the birth of Santa Claus.
Of course it's the birth of Santa Claus.

we all know that...

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I really have little doubt that in the end, the 'other side' will have Christmas eradicated. And if the numbers you used are accurate, that means that 1/4 of the people are controlling and changing what 3/4 of the country supports.
Why do you think that the inclusion of other holidays somehow cancels out the Christian one?

A major philosophy of Christianity on these forums is that it's all or nothing. In another thread, someone even said that your religion is not a "live and let live" religion.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The large majority in the U.S. are celebrating Christmas during the "holiday" season.
And your point is?? So if the majority of people are jumping off a bridge, does that mean we ALL have to? Or to give a better example, just because an African-American (or whatever race) is a minority, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have equal respect. Sorry, but in cases of equality, the majority does not rule...

Quote:
And they ARE deleting (or trying to delete) Christmas because now it's politically incorrect. If it wasn't, they would have been hanging the Merry Christmas signs a few years ago like they did 10 and 20 years ago.
Once again, who cares?? Lots of things aren't "PC" anymore, and that's just life... but I'll say it one last time - "Happy Holidays" isn't deleting Christmas, unless you don't consider it to be a holiday. And btw, even in a secular city like San Francisco, I see PLENTY of Christmas signs and decorations... so I don't buy into all of this whining. Pretend you're a Jew or Muslim this December, and see how easily you find Ramadan & Chanukah supplies among the myriad of Christmas stuff.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
Why do you think that the inclusion of other holidays somehow cancels out the Christian one?
Yeah, I don't get that one either... but like I said, some of them apparently want a MONOPOLY on the whole darned month. And then they wonder why we get irritated & defensive....

Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I really have little doubt that in the end, the 'other side' will have Christmas eradicated. And if the numbers you used are accurate, that means that 1/4 of the people are controlling and changing what 3/4 of the country supports.
Welcome to our world, LOL... and no, we're not trying to control or eradicate you, but simply asking for equal respect & "attention." And the fact you even said that is scary, and reminiscent of Nazi/Aryan Nation beliefs (that we're trying to control the world & wipe you out). But anyway, think about it from our perspective for a moment, and how you'd feel if you couldn't find a Christmas card in 9/10 stores. Or how about when they don't bother consulting the calendar, and put them out AFTER the holiday... that's happened many times, and the clerk will say "Oh, but we put them out in time for Christmas!" Well gee, that really helps when Chanukah falls in late November.

So I really don't give a patooty what the majority religion is, or why it's that way. And I also don't care how or if you celebrate, to be quite honest. But when you are a minority, all you really want is to be included. Trust me, you'd feel the same if you went to live in Israel... I highly doubt you'd be okay with inequality & being ignored, simply because "most people here are Jewish." So yes, in this case the minority is speaking up, as any oppressed people should! Don't you think Black Americans did the right thing, when they insisted on Civil Rights & integration? Oh, but I guess they were trying to control and eradicate the majority (White people), simply because they wanted that silly thing called equal rights.

But actually, I hear more about this particular issue from Christians... neither I, nor my Jewish friends & family members, care about seeing "Merry Christmas" plastered everywhere. As long as they provide some supplies for our major holidays, and allow us to celebrate in peace, that's really all that matters.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Welcome to our world, LOL... and no, we're not trying to control or eradicate you, but simply asking for equal respect & "attention." And the fact you even said that is scary, and reminiscent of Nazi/Aryan Nation beliefs (that we're trying to control the world & wipe you out). But anyway, think about it from our perspective for a moment, and how you'd feel if you couldn't find a Christmas card in 9/10 stores. Or how about when they don't bother consulting the calendar, and put them out AFTER the holiday... that's happened many times, and the clerk will say "Oh, but we put them out in time for Christmas!" Well gee, that really helps when Chanukah falls in late November.

So I really don't give a patooty what the majority religion is, or why it's that way. And I also don't care how or if you celebrate, to be quite honest. But when you are a minority, all you really want is to be included. Trust me, you'd feel the same if you went to live in Israel... I highly doubt you'd be okay with inequality & being ignored, simply because "most people here are Jewish." So yes, in this case the minority is speaking up, as any oppressed people should! Don't you think Black Americans did the right thing, when they insisted on Civil Rights & integration? Oh, but I guess they were trying to control and eradicate the majority (White people), simply because they wanted that silly thing called equal rights.

But actually, I hear more about this particular issue from Christians... neither I, nor my Jewish friends & family members, care about seeing "Merry Christmas" plastered everywhere. As long as they provide some supplies for our major holidays, and allow us to celebrate in peace, that's really all that matters.
I totally disagree with your idea of equal time and energy for all religions or whatever it is you seem to be advocating.

If I were in Israel, I doubt I would be complaining about "being ignored". I'm not that pretentious. Technically I could say I am being ignored right now since I don't follow a particular religion, but what's the point of spoiling everyone else's fun?

I'm not a Christian, per se, but I think its perfectly fine for people to say "Merry Christmas" and put out their Christmas decorations. They don't necessarily need to acknowledge the Jewish holidays, nor any other religion's holidays. Why should they? Why should I?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I totally disagree with your idea of equal time and energy for all religions or whatever it is you seem to be advocating.

If I were in Israel, I doubt I would be complaining about "being ignored". I'm not that pretentious. Technically I could say I am being ignored right now since I don't follow a particular religion, but what's the point of spoiling everyone else's fun?

I'm not a Christian, per se, but I think its perfectly fine for people to say "Merry Christmas" and put out their Christmas decorations. They don't necessarily need to acknowledge the Jewish holidays, nor any other religion's holidays. Why should they? Why should I?

What he said................................

Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

What she said as well.......

Political correctness can get old. But Christains are not the only ones in this country, and do seem to see things in an all or nothing way.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post

You misunderstood me completely... YOU don't have to do anything, and I actually WOULDN'T want you "acknowledging" my holidays. Everyone's free to do as they wish in their homes, and I'm not concerned with seeing Jewish-related decorations everywhere. I'm just saying that if a public business chooses to say "Happy Holidays", what's the big deal? To me, that simply means they're trying to cover all customers & celebrations - including Christmas. I'm not asking for equal time, but simply for the Christians to stop whining about not being the center of attention. So really, it's them you should be saying this to... since they're always the ones who get miffed, over not being doted on all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality