Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Well then, simply put, we hinder ourselves with requirements that we explain the future, the currently unknown if you will, with tools we developed in the past. In other words, we assume the truth about everything we don't yet understand must be explained in terms that we're already comfortable with.

No need to expound on this any more is there? In fact, what we have learned is simply that there are, and will continue to be, revelations brought on, not by meditation, but by objective research.

We know as fact, for instance, that our physical universe, the one we're part of, is rapidly expanding in measurable physical ways. It's pretty much a logical conclusion (at least to me...) that an expanding and enlarging 4-dimensional object (three physical axes, plus the axis of time) was, previously, (even one minute ago...) smaller in those four dimensions than it is now, and if we simply go back far enough, it was obviously a lot smaller than now, in fact it was very small. Infinitesimal.

And if we know the rate it's now expanding, we can even estimate, roughly, how far back in time that origins event was, right? Hard to figure? I don't think so.

The only remaining logical quandary & question therefore is, what happened at the moment (or before) it was infinitely small? Did it pre-exist in another dimension, form or time plane, just waiting for an opportunity to re-appear? Or? Who knows?

Does this therefore support an inconsistent, contradictory and convenient deity-based event? Why is that absolutely necessary as the only acceptable answer? That explanation may be preferred or fervently hoped-for, but is it necessary or mandated? Why? How so?

I rest my case.
i think it all comes down to beleif rifleman,for those who dont beleive it could have been a being who is more powerfull than man can imagine,then its easy for them not to beleive-- and for those who beleuve then its easy for them to beleive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I predict that if you look back you'd see that #30 was in fact posted by someone else and you might suspect you were in error. Perhaps I have a rendering error on my end but it certainly appears that the user "doable" posted #30.

strange how it brought her to the pic of Maha Vishnu,eh!!!!,

inside each of those bubbles is a universe with billions of Galaxys containing a thousand billion billion stars,an an expansion of Vishnu Himself for maintanance.

its said that the outer shell is made of a different energy(cant really remember)but it is millions of miles thick,if you were to reach this''end of the universe''youd be looking into complete darkness.

oh yeah and the names dobeable,non takin,your welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post

strange how it brought her to the pic of Maha Vishnu,eh!!!!,

inside each of those bubbles is a universe with billions of Galaxys containing a thousand billion billion stars,an an expansion of Vishnu Himself for maintanance.

its said that the outer shell is made of a different energy(cant really remember)but it is millions of miles thick,if you were to reach this''end of the universe''youd be looking into complete darkness.

oh yeah and the names dobeable,non takin,your welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about the misspell.

I am atheist so that would be a tough sell to me. But I have to admit that it looks like someone in antiquity was doing some serious thinking about String Theory. I'm not planning on converting but could you recommend some online (and free) reading on this subject? I find it fascinating. EDIT: In addition to the site so cleverly hidden in large bold script on the pic.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Sorry about the misspell.

I am atheist so that would be a tough sell to me. But I have to admit that it looks like someone in antiquity was doing some serious thinking about String Theory. I'm not planning on converting but could you recommend some online (and free) reading on this subject? I find it fascinating. EDIT: In addition to the site so cleverly hidden in large bold script on the pic.
ooh ill have to have a look for ya,i know this knowledge is written in the Srimad bhagavatam which is an 18 volume book,but ill see if i can find some online free reading for you,,,i promise to get back to ya on this.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,661 times
Here is what Einstein says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQes-a1nu78

Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
God is a different catagory than all those.
Only that you believe in God. That's it.

But you are the one who made the claim that there is no proof that God didn't create the universe. Similarly, there is no proof that leprechauns, Darth Vader, and the aforementioned Ed didn't, either. And in that respect, that trio is identical to God.

Clearly, this very simple concept eludes you.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Only that you believe in God. That's it.

But you are the one who made the claim that there is no proof that God didn't create the universe. Similarly, there is no proof that leprechauns, Darth Vader, and the aforementioned Ed didn't, either. And in that respect, that trio is identical to God.

Clearly, this very simple concept eludes you.
its not a concept that leprechauns made the the universe,where did all that energy come from eh?God consiousness is a concept in itself.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,016 times
Quote:
its not a concept that leprechauns made the the universe,where did all that energy come from eh?God consiousness is a concept in itself.
Exactly! Vishnu is a part of consciousness itself. That's why we say, Tat vam Asi in Sanskrit.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
ooh ill have to have a look for ya,i know this knowledge is written in the Srimad bhagavatam which is an 18 volume book,but ill see if i can find some online free reading for you,,,i promise to get back to ya on this.
I found the complete set online (and of course free). Could you tell me approximately where to look?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Here is what Einstein says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQes-a1nu78
Cute little bit of recorded history (perhaps accurate, perhaps not) from a small boy who had been thoroughly indoctrinated into the mandatory Christian upbringing and religious mores (prn: "morays") of the day. Which were considerable, with obvious and potent punishments for those who denounced them.

Hence, in effect, everyone who didn't want to be socially ostracized was a "practicing" Christian. Just as, a thousand years earlier, everyone in the dark, dank and scary cave was willing to paint their heads blue and dance around the sacrificed lamb to ward off the evil gawd of Darkness and Disease, with his ongoing claps of lightning and thunder right outside, where, of course, he was ominously lurking and waiting to grab someone!

If this is an actual and accurate statement, it does show the sort of intellect and logic that this lad eventually capitalized on, including his mature, adult denial of the Christian God.

Well, thx for the Appeal to Imagined Authority.

But now, in the spirit of equal time and honest debate, could you please look up and link us to a video quote from an adult Neil deGrasse Tyson on God and Religion? As a fair alternative? If not, I can do it for you. Lemme know, OK?

(BTW, how's Tom the Father doing? We miss him! Really we do!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality