Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,021,982 times

Advertisements

hey Chango i'll play.
re: the question of racial origins has never been satisfactorily satisfied for me....perhaps this knowledge is outside of the programme. or perhaps these remnant races (some real/some hybrid)were left races are left over from a previous simulation.

thinking back on childhood time of playing with ant farms. they were contained in their own little plexy-glass worlds with sand and a few ammenities but i felt somehow they were conscious of me as they went about their milling; they had to be i was flipping their world upside-down and side to side...i was a god to them. -sure wouldn't want that scenario to happen to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
The only way religion jives with science is religion can be used as a subject of study by scientists. Religion exists and it can be studied.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,936,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The only way religion jives with science is religion can be used as a subject of study by scientists. Religion exists and it can be studied.
Which means it could be "deniable" and/or "testable". Hmmm... interesting.

An easy proof that it exists, but that perhaps one of it's key elements (that god entity thingy..) may not.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Which means it could be "deniable" and/or "testable". Hmmm... interesting.

An easy proof that it exists, but that perhaps one of it's key elements (that god entity thingy..) may not.

That's correct. For example, If a man insists there is a pink elephant with five legs following him around, he can be examined by a psychiatrist. His delusion exists (unless he's lying) but the pink elephant doesn't exist.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,021,982 times
gabfest is on the road to self-actualization. gabfest has witness others boast they have already achieved self-actualization. gabfest observes their behaviors and realises they have only achieved self- actualization with their mouths.

Last edited by gabfest; 01-13-2011 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: changed that to they=msp.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,854,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
gabfest is on the road to self-actualization. gabfest has witness others boast they have already achieved self-actualization. gabfest observes their behaviors and realises they have only achieved self- actualization with their mouths.
Chango believes self-actualization is an endless wide road, not an endpoint. Anyone who claimes to have found it is either mistaken or is a liar.

I guess that's why I think about stuff like this... I find pure denial at a claim's "face value" to be too constricting in my search for truth. ANYTHING experienced by humans is a potential clue to the true nature of existence, but there is just so much B.S. to wade through on the way that it's very difficult to make any headway...

Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,995,555 times
Default A completely logic-free idea...

This is nothing but the Omphalos hypothesis, dressed up:
Omphalos hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's Last Thursdayism.

PS - it's 'jibe', not 'jive.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes, I did say 'The Matrix thing again' But yes it is possible. A lot of things are possible. However, given that nature is repeatable and shown no sign of being anything but the mechanical workings of predictable effect, then that reality is real, even if it is made out of nothing but energy, is part of a huge computer game or a Holographic game and not withstanding chaos theory and Indeterminacy.

There is thus no logical nor evidential reason to suppose that reality has no reality, or that sudden inexplicables can happen. True, there are unexplained events but there always have been and many are now explained. The rest simply remain unexplained.

There is no example of a planet suddenly stopping in orbit and reversing or a volcano spewing lemon squash instead of lava. We don't get any sign or anything other than the workings of nature and evidence of a material universe. Attempts to explain ice ages or dinosaur extinctions as some sort of computer reset is good for a laugh but not much else.

It seems that the idea of a computer program is an interesting mental idea based mostly on we can't disprove it, like deist - god. If one has any regard for logic used correctly, we won't believe any of those interesting speculations without some persuasive proofs and that is all the justification needed to regard that materialist and naturalistic worldview as the only rational one to hold.

If there is or are any elements of doubt, these apply much more to speculations about eveything being an image either in a huge invisible computer or the mind of a huge invisible being.
This is the best logical refute I've seen so far, but how do you make this train of though work when we cannot arrive at a true knowledge of reality itself? Like I say, we observe and understand the world through a modeled simulation created by our brain and sensory organs, and our brain is easily tricked into accepting somethign is real when it isn't. We are tricked every night when we dream, after all, not to mention with drugs and even certain odd environmental stimuli...

I've read some interesting things by some thinkers that argue certain phenomenon in Quantum Mechanics, like observer effect suggests we are in a simulation. Anybody with more Physics knowedge than me care to tear them apart?

Simulated Universe by Brent Silby

Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
This is nothing but the Omphalos hypothesis, dressed up:
Omphalos hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's Last Thursdayism.

PS - it's 'jibe', not 'jive.
No, it isn't. The Omphalos Hypothesis is easly disproven with various age measuring methods that work on the sound priciple that certain elements decay at a constant rate. Any writer of our theoretical simulation would have to be cruel liar to purposely fake the age of the planet and then tell his "chosen" his truth, then hold it against those who didn't believe the "chose" which doesn't. That doesn't jive (or jibe, if you prefer ) with most religion's claims of the nature of god.

Thinking more about this...there would be no need to "fake" age. A simulation starting at the "big bang" would naturally grow it's own way in the preset parameters (which would would be the laws of physics to us). It would be far more simple for the simulation to evolve on it's own than it would be to try and replicate a universe with fake age, not to mention far less problematic (problems would resolve themselves; what didn't work very well would not stay around, as the theory of evolution shows). And I suppose building such a simulation could take far less time than the 12 billion years it took from our perspective; even on RPG video games today time is almost always compressed in the game's simulated world...

So I guess I'm back where I started with regard to science and religion. Real or simulated universe; for a god to exist, he/she/it would not likely do things as conventional religion claims.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,809,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Chango believes self-actualization is an endless wide road, not an endpoint. Anyone who claimes to have found it is either mistaken or is a liar.

I guess that's why I think about stuff like this... I find pure denial at a claim's "face value" to be too constricting in my search for truth. ANYTHING experienced by humans is a potential clue to the true nature of existence, but there is just so much B.S. to wade through on the way that it's very difficult to make any headway...
I agree. Thom R's complain that science claims to be the be- all and e
nd all or that we atheist posters act as though it is is incorrect - science needs speculation, hypotheses and inspiration to suggest new ideas but the merit of science is that it is the only reliable method of testing and validating such ideas. Doing it of 'Faith' is irrational.

Puer denial of claims without testing is 'constricting', but it is never just believe or not (as theists never tire of saying) one had to bear in mind the state of verified knowledge and anything which cuts across that has to be rejected until it can prove itself. This is what science does.

This is of course regarded as closed mindedness by the science orthodoxy but the method is the only reasonable one. Persons making the claim have to make the case and the more extraordinary the claim the more extraordinary ( or compelling) the proof has to be.

Thus you should welcome that method because it cuts through the BS. True, one might want to trawl through the BS in search of a nugget of silver that was tossed out with the garbage (the baby/bathwater idea) but perhaps the better idea is to let those who push the BS produce a good case for it.

Our pal C34 did this all the time and I welcomed his efforts to make a case, but I certainly don't see it as MY business to go looking for the Ark or for mummified hadrosaurs in Tucume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality