Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 AM

208 posts, read 507,433 times

Advertisements

Looks like the museum had a large and successful grand opening yesterday. Did anyone happen to go? I'm planning to drive my family up to visit the museum in late July.
A huge victory for creationists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
No, I live to far away. Saw it on the net, and I also saw an interview with Dr. Ken Ham on Fox last night. When I move to the South I'll put it on my list of places to go.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 AM

124 posts, read 396,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
Looks like the museum had a large and successful grand opening yesterday. Did anyone happen to go? I'm planning to drive my family up to visit the museum in late July.

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !
Why is it a "A huge victory for creationists!"? You can build anything you want in this country and call it anything you want. Is the Chicago Museum of Natural History a huge victory for evolutionist?

A huge victory would be to get the world in general to accept ID as a legitimate science. Doesn't appear that will be happening anytime soon.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
It may have been sucessful as far as numbers of people attending, but I don't think the content was as sucessful as you may think. I posted this link to the NY Times review of the museum in an earlier thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/24/ar...in&oref=slogin If you read it you can see that the museum is deemed as strange and bizare as far as historical content is concerned.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I happen to feel that this is just a way to exploit that segment of religious people who believe in the young earth creationism by cashing in on it with a flashy museum of dubious merit. In fact one of the reasons that this type of creationism is still so widely believed in America is due to the promotion of books, videotapes and the like that attempt to validate it with alot of pseudoscientific nonsense. What's really going on is just old fashioned capitalism and an attempt to make a fast buck. This museum is just a gold plated carnival sideshow.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Question Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I happen to feel that this is just a way to exploit that segment of religious people who believe in the young earth creationism by cashing in on it with a flashy museum of dubious merit. In fact one of the reasons that this type of creationism is still so widely believed in America is due to the promotion of books, videotapes and the like that attempt to validate it with alot of pseudoscientific nonsense. What's really going on is just old fashioned capitalism and an attempt to make a fast buck. This museum is just a gold plated carnival sideshow.
Do you personally know the people/organization involved with this museum? What support do you have to show they're only in it to make a fast buck? How do you know what their real intentions are? Have you been to the museum or do you plan on going? Have you seen the exhibits yourself, first hand, to make such a statement that it's a high-quality carnival sideshow? Have you seen their videos? Read their narratives on the exhibits? Examined the science they've used to support their position and find it lacking? I suggest you do all the above before making such baldface assumptions and rendering judgement upon it.

There's just as much favorable press from secular media as there is critical opinions from them.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:59 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Default Not yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post

Jesus Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed !
I didn't go for opening day, but I am planning a trip (also mid to late July) to take my family and my brother's family. I can't wait to take it all in and see how it's turned out.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Personally I dont need tapes or pamplets to confirm my belief that God created everything, for me a simple walk outside confirms it for me. For we walk by faith, not by sight 2 Cor 5:7 And since God is the original scientist, I think its up to him to decide if its pseudoscientific or not.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
There's just as much favorable press from secular media as there is critical opinions from them.
Can you point me to some links with favorable independant reviews? I have found lots of stuff on the visual presentation of the exhibits as very dramatic and crowd pleasing (the exhibits were designed by the same man that designed the Jaws and King Kong exhibits at Universal Studios, so that is not unexpected) but nothing that has favorable reviews of the content presented within the exhibits. Please share.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Personally ...God is the original scientist...
I love this thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality