Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did the universe came to be?
It was always there in some form 9 45.00%
It created itself 1 5.00%
It was caused by something else 5 25.00%
Don't know 4 20.00%
MU! 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times

Advertisements

I think most people have heard of this famous trichonomy, the universe was either:

1.always there
2.created itself
3.caused by something else

For the religious, the norm tend to be number 3 whose mover was a number 2. For the non-religious it tends to be 1. I can imagine a series of hypothetical possibilities for each point but was wondering on other peoples comment on this old topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
I somewhat think its number 1, but some stuff I've read lately makes me think number 2. If I understand quantum mechanics correctly then aren't subatomic particles constantly "popping" into and out of existence? In any case I voted honestly that I don't know.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
It's physically impossible to know if the universe is infinite, if it just came into being, or if it created itself since it's not possible to see anything before the instant of the big bang.

THus the only rational and logical choice is "I don't know"

Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
the only logical answer is acually that it was always there because time and matter only exist in it

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
the only logical answer is acually that it was always there because time and matter only exist in it
good comment , if i understood your mean
universe is created by someone else , but if we talked by time factor , so it was always exist , because feeling of time exist with universe existance

Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 AM

Or the universe is created in the future in a strange loop

Old 05-16-2008, 02:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,752 times
whatever i believe from all my heart and all my mind that universe created by super power force (God) .

why athiest usually focus in universe and big bang theory ?
why they focus thier thoughts in origin of universe and forget all about within it? if universe created by chance , how then human or each kind of animals and plants and insects what about the creations in the sea and ocean , how they ignore the ratio quantities of the water verses the land in the earth , how they ignore ratio of oxygin and nitrojen and other gases which gives the capability of life in this earth

here we are with the argument of quran

27 - And do they not see that We do drive Rain to parched soil (bare of herbage), and produce therewith crops, providing food for their cattle and themselves? Have they not the vision

other verses
96 - He it is that cleaveth the day break (from the dark): he makes the night for rest and tranquility, and the sun and moon for the reckoning (of time): such is the judgment and ordering of (him), the exalted in power, the omniscient.
97 - it is who maketh the stars (as beacons) for you, that ye may guide yourselves, with their help, through the dark spaces of land and sea: we detail our signs for people who know.
98 - it is who hath produced you from a single person: here is a place of sojourn and a place of departure: we detail our signs for people who understand.
99 - it is he who sendeth down rain from the skies: with it we produce vegetation of all kinds: from some we produce green (crops), out of which we produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. behold in these things there are signs for people who believe

other verses
2- God is he who raised the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; is firmly established on the throne (of Authority); he has subjected the sun and the moon (to his Law) each one runs (its course) for a term appointed. he doth regulate all affairs, explaining the signs in detail, that ye may believe with certainly in the meeting with your Lord.
3 - And it is he who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind he made in pairs, two and two: he draweth the night as a veil O'er the day. behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider
4 - And in the earth are tracts (diverse though) neighboring, and gardens of vines and fields sown with corn, and palm trees growing out of single roots or otherwise: watered with the same water, yet some of them we make more excellent than others to eat. behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who understand.

other verses
17 - Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made
18 - And at the Sky, how it is raised high?
19 - And at the Mountains, how they are fixed firm
20 - And at the Earth, how it is spread out?
21 - Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one to admonish.
22 - Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs.
23 - But if any turn away and reject God,
24 - God will punish him with a mighty Punishment,
25 - For to Us will be their Return;
26 - Then it will be for Us to call them to account

Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM

123 posts, read 303,860 times
Interesting: the One heart I cannot partake of. Isn't that how God above all god becomes accesible to my need in talking for the written?

Oh yes: Answer to the POLL: I agree with St. Anselm: no. 3.

Last edited by KrisKr; 05-16-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Let's imagine that the universe is a big box. Everything inside it is, or is composed of, little boxes.

God created the box and the little boxes, but He didn't need to be created.. He always was.. because He is not a box. (And He doesn't live in a box.)

So in other words, the universe is not "true reality".

Just the way I see it...

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Let's imagine that the universe is a big box. Everything inside it is, or is composed of, little boxes.

God created the box and the little boxes, but He didn't need to be created.. He always was.. because He is not a box. (And He doesn't live in a box.)

So in other words, the universe is not "true reality".

Just the way I see it...
hehe to drag your analogy further:

1. The box has always been there. Just like god it did not need creating but it was not always a box. It used to be really flat not too long ago and further back the box used to be paper and even before then it was a tree. In the future the box may break but its components never truly disappear, they just change and who knows the pieces might be recycled back into another box.

2. Inside the box there lives a man who in the future creates another box. Inside that box lives yet another man who makes an even smaller box with another man............................................tum bolina......................who makes a box which happens to be the original box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality