Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times

Advertisements

I am just curious how so many of you believe in the bill of rights and will fight for those rights, yet at the same time, bash people for their religious beliefs?

I know quite a few atheists who think it is everyone's right to be free of religious persecution. Yet at the same time, they attempt to force their views that all religions are wrong and that they shouldn't believe what they do. This makes no sense. You are either open to people believing what they want to and believe they have the right to do so, or you are against their beliefs and don't think they have the right to believe them.

Maybe I am missing something. If I am fill me in. This is not an attempt to bash atheists, I am just curious to know why many atheists are like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
You can believe whatever you like, as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on anyone other than you. If the religious kept their silly little rules to themselves and didn't try to force their will on atheists and other people who don't agree with the religious majority, then you'd hear nary a peep from most of us.

But since the religious -- the Abrahamic religions in particular -- insist on non-believers living by their twisted set of rules, you're going to get opposition. It's because the religious are infringing on the rights of others that we fight against them. Stop doing that, and we'll be content to let you believe whatever fairy tales you like.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
Freedom of religion, as well as freedom from religion about sums it up. If you want to worship a god, or the sun for all I care, please, help yourself. But, when you start sticking your religion into my children's text books at school, or making laws based on your religious beliefs...then you'll see a nasty side of me.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I am just curious how so many of you believe in the bill of rights and will fight for those rights, yet at the same time, bash people for their religious beliefs?

I know quite a few atheists who think it is everyone's right to be free of religious persecution. Yet at the same time, they attempt to force their views that all religions are wrong and that they shouldn't believe what they do. This makes no sense. You are either open to people believing what they want to and believe they have the right to do so, or you are against their beliefs and don't think they have the right to believe them.

Maybe I am missing something. If I am fill me in. This is not an attempt to bash atheists, I am just curious to know why many atheists are like this?
I am an atheist who believes in most of the bill of rights, (not sure about that whole 3rd amendment thing) and have indeed fought for those rights via both service in the USMC and legal work.

I don't know any atheist who wants to "force their view" on others. We don't demand that schools force children to admit that there is no God, we don't ask that the government shut down all churches.

Theist, however, have long tried to get schools to force children to admit to the existance of God and want the government to prop up churches. But being against theist using the government to force God on society is not the same thing as trying to force atheism on society.

The government should be like a utility company. Fix the roads, keep the meth addicts out of my garage, etc. The government should not be in the religon business. It's not wise enough to force religous beliefs on anyone and that's not its' appropriate role anway.

That's my explaination.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You can believe whatever you like, as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on anyone other than you. If the religious kept their silly little rules to themselves and didn't try to force their will on atheists and other people who don't agree with the religious majority, then you'd hear nary a peep from most of us.

But since the religious -- the Abrahamic religions in particular -- insist on non-believers living by their twisted set of rules, you're going to get opposition. It's because the religious are infringing on the rights of others that we fight against them. Stop doing that, and we'll be content to let you believe whatever fairy tales you like.
Are you against sharing beliefs altogether or just the condemning everyone for not believing part?

I am not a Christian, or any other major religion. I am a religious mix of various philosophies that I apply to my life. I like to share them with people from time to time. But I don't force my beliefs on anyone. I am not trying to convert anyone, just possibly enlighten. Is this ok?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
...But being against theist using the government to force God on society is not the same thing as trying to force atheism on society...
Amen! (pun intended) This is the root of my argument in another thread in this forum, but some posters refused to see it that way.

5,298 posts, read 4,593,424 times
Quote:

Ohhh; Stunning question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I am an atheist who believes in most of the bill of rights, (not sure about that whole 3rd amendment thing) and have indeed fought for those rights via both service in the USMC and legal work.

I don't know any atheist who wants to "force their view" on others. We don't demand that schools force children to admit that there is no God, we don't ask that the government shut down all churches.

Theist, however, have long tried to get schools to force children to admit to the existance of God and want the government to prop up churches. But being against theist using the government to force God on society is not the same thing as trying to force atheism on society.

The government should be like a utility company. Fix the roads, keep the meth addicts out of my garage, etc. The government should not be in the religon business. It's not wise enough to force religous beliefs on anyone and that's not its' appropriate role anway.

That's my explaination.
I agree, the government should be like a utility company, minus the call center in India and the outrageous charges that make no sense.

So is sharing your religious beliefs ok as long as you aren't trying to force anyone? Im not talking about going door to door, just if it comes up in a conversation, then is it ok to talk about it and possibly make suggestions?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Are you against sharing beliefs altogether or just the condemning everyone for not believing part?

I am not a Christian, or any other major religion. I am a religious mix of various philosophies that I apply to my life. I like to share them with people from time to time. But I don't force my beliefs on anyone. I am not trying to convert anyone, just possibly enlighten. Is this ok?
Do you "share" your beliefs as part of a mutally engaged upon conversation, or do you introduce the topic of religious beliefs unbidden? This answer will make all the difference, IMO.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:

I think I was pretty clear about that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality