Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

I think I asked this question around here before but not on this forum and as back then, I do not really expect any Christian to say they are because that would be tantamount to not being a Christian.

Anyway, today I was sitting with my gf and we were talking about this. In my estimation, the Old Testament is that old, crazy, loony uncle you wish to keep hidden in the closet and hope no one notices all the noise he is making. The contents are silly, bloody, ethnocentric, sexist, fabricated, embellished, exaggerated and so on AND some of these things are actually claimed to have been said, done or ordered by some god some people today tell us is perfect, holy and just. As a result, Christians find themselves always having to defend the dilemma and irreconcilable nonsense found on some of its pages using all kinds of verbal gymnastics.

As far as I can see, the Christians need the Old Testament for three reasons, neither of which really has basis when you really check it out. They need it to claim that it makes some vague "prophecies" about our times. They need to to prove it predicted Jesus and they need the early parts of it to prove their god created everything and that man rebelled against this god who from that moment, has been itching to just kill everyone which explains Jesus. In addition, some cherry pick a few "thou shalt nots" for an occasion or two.

Without the need for the above, I am sure the Old Testament would not be a part of today's Bible.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
That's funny....I'm not "embarassed"...but instead see a thread woven throughout the OT right up to the NT.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,418 times
Yep, a thread of murder, misogyny, lies and falsehoods.

Or, to be charitable, fairy tales.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
If they are not, they are either lying to themselves or as evil as the old testament.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
I usually hear them say that Jesus fixed everything, ignoring the fact that they also say Jesus = Yahweh who is the guy in the OT commanding most of the bad stuff that Jesus supposedly fixed.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 AM

17 posts, read 76,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I usually hear them say that Jesus fixed everything, ignoring the fact that they also say Jesus = Yahweh who is the guy in the OT commanding most of the bad stuff that Jesus supposedly fixed.
You break it you bought it. At least Jesus is a stand-up guy.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
There are Christians embarrassed by the Old Testament. At one time that was a big thing, read up on something called Marcionism. (The Manicheans I think went that way too, a bit, but are generally seen as just a separate religion)

Individual parts of the Old Testament can seem embarrassing, but there are also parts of it that are extremely beautiful and virtuous. There is a concern for harm of animals, of protecting people from lynch mobs (asylum towns), and a belief the lowly can become something important. That last you don't see too much in most ancient works.

To a degree it's about how to survive in a harsh world where there might be no afterlife. In order to survive as a people the Jews, of that era, had to have a certain obstinancy and separatism. And yet they did survive through thousands of years of hostility, some of which I'll grant was self-inflicted.

In some ways being too embarassed by the Old Testament is only a short trip to being Anti-Semitic. (I believe Dawkins has said things about how influential "The Jews" are in America, with granted some degree of envy. So it might be a pretty short trip indeed)

Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are Christians embarrassed by the Old Testament. At one time that was a big thing, read up on something called Marcionism. (The Manicheans I think went that way too, a bit, but are generally seen as just a separate religion)

Individual parts of the Old Testament can seem embarrassing, but there are also parts of it that are extremely beautiful and virtuous. There is a concern for harm of animals, of protecting people from lynch mobs (asylum towns), and a belief the lowly can become something important. That last you don't see too much in most ancient works.

To a degree it's about how to survive in a harsh world where there might be no afterlife. In order to survive as a people the Jews, of that era, had to have a certain obstinancy and separatism. And yet they did survive through thousands of years of hostility, some of which I'll grant was self-inflicted.

In some ways being too embarassed by the Old Testament is only a short trip to being Anti-Semitic. (I believe Dawkins has said things about how influential "The Jews" are in America, with granted some degree of envy. So it might be a pretty short trip indeed)

OH MAN!! Too Funny! Can't stop laughing! That part about concern for animals!!! Didn't god require the slaughter and bloodshed of them to make him feel better about our "sin"?! And didn't he enjoy the smell of burning flesh, again to make him feel better about how bad and horrible his little people were?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That's funny....I'm not "embarassed"...but instead see a thread woven throughout the OT right up to the NT.
A thread stained with the blood of a heck of a lot of people.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
OH MAN!! Too Funny! Can't stop laughing! That part about concern for animals!!! Didn't god require the slaughter and bloodshed of them to make him feel better about our "sin"?! And didn't he enjoy the smell of burning flesh, again to make him feel better about how bad and horrible his little people were?
Atheists/Irreligious types on this board seem easily amused. I've noticed this on atheism in general. As it's basically just a void I guess mockery and sarcasm is all they've got. Or maybe it's the preponderance of British people among their current writers.

In any event the OT isn't vegetarian and animal sacrifice occurs, but in general there are statements about killing animals humanely and giving thanks for them. Certainly more than I expected. Jews and Christians have been active in avoiding cruelty to animals or people.

And now you can return to your adolescent world of scorn and mockery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality