Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 PM

321 posts, read 679,693 times

Advertisements

Way back when I used to actually attend church, I remember that some of my peers use to actually feel a certain sense of pride that they rarely read the Old Testament. They often said things to me like, "we're no longer under the law." Their forays into the O.T was to read an occasional Psalm, quote a Proverb or two, read up on a few "prophecies" [supposedly] predicting Jesus and the end times and a stop into the book of Leviticus to find an argument to condemn gays. Beyond that, most of them couldn't tell you where the Book of Habakkuk was or whether there was even such a book.

I also ask because it is clear all over the internet that one of the strongest arguments that critics have that I know must annoy Christians to no end is their constant harping on the repetitious bloodletting, sexism and other madness found in the O.T supposedly ordered and/or ordained by God. You have stories of God killing men for refusing to impregnate their dead brother's wife, laws discriminating against men with damaged "balls" along with illegitimate children as well as laws forcing rapists to marry rapees and I guess, vice versa.

I don't think many Christians even want to deal with trying to explain away these things in their beloved "word of God" and so the New Testament which is devoid of much of that madness gets far more attention. This has created an interesting thing, however. The critics actually learn more about the Bible then the actual believers. I have seen this in action first hand. I often get this look of bewilderment when certain Old Testament passages are pointed out. It's one of those "what the pluck?" moments I see in their eyes. You can tell they have never read or even heard of the passage.

Amazingly, I have even heard the admission that "it's great to have unbelievers around because they drive us to the word." Isn't that rather telling?

Ah...just my observation.

Last edited by Condemned; 12-02-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
What kind of answer are you looking for?

I predict you'll get alot of answers from non-Christians saying "of course Christians are embarrassed".

You'll also get answers from Christians saying "no we're not".

And the music plays on....

(no I'm not)

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
What kind of answer are you looking for?

I predict you'll get alot of answers from non-Christians saying "of course Christians are embarrassed".

You'll also get answers from Christians saying "no we're not".

And the music plays on....

(no I'm not)
I tend to think that many of the Christians are not being truthful, well, that is if they REALLY read the Old Testament page by page, verse by verse.

When I think about it, you're right though. The music plays on maybe because it creates distraction as not to deal with the matter on the table.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I don't think true believers are ever embarrassed by the Old Testament because they really believe it's the word of God. When I've gotten into discussions about certain contradictions and missing information with someone who believes in the Bible literally and I know they're just plain stumped for an answer they'll generally say something like "that's only something that God can understand". I think they're sincere in their statements but if you don't really understand all of the details of your own beliefs then what exactly is it that you believe in the first place?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Way back when I used to actually attend church, I remember that some of my peers use to actually feel a certain sense of pride that they rarely read the Old Testament. They often said things to me like, "we're no longer under the law." Their forays into the O.T was to read an occasional Psalm, quote a Proverb or two, read up on a few "prophecies" [supposedly] predicting Jesus and the end times and a stop into the book of Leviticus to find an argument to condemn gays. Beyond that, most of them couldn't tell you where the Book of Habakkuk was or whether there was even such a book.

I also ask because it is clear all over the internet that one of the strongest arguments that critics have that I know must annoy Christians to no end is their constant harping on the repetitious bloodletting, sexism and other madness found in the O.T supposedly ordered and/or ordained by God. You have stories of God killing men for refusing to impregnate their dead brother's wife, laws discriminating against men with damaged "balls" along with illegitimate children as well as laws forcing rapists to marry rapees and I guess, vice versa.

I don't think many Christians even want to deal with trying to explain away these things in their beloved "word of God" and so the New Testament which is devoid of much of that madness gets far more attention. This has created an interesting thing, however. The critics actually learn more about the Bible then the actual believers. I have seen this in action first hand. I often get this look of bewilderment when certain Old Testament passages are pointed out. It's one of those "what the pluck?" moments I see in their eyes. You can tell they have never read or even heard of the passage.

Amazingly, I have even heard the admission that "it's great to have unbelievers around because they drive us to the word." Isn't that rather telling?

Ah...just my observation.
Well, this is almost the same question I posed a couple of weeks (or months ago) regarding inconsistency between the OT God and the NT God. I don't understand the transition of character, and I have yet had a Christian who explained it logically.

The answer was always that God is mysterious, that we do not understand his ways, and that he can do what he wants.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Well, this is almost the same question I posed a couple of weeks (or months ago) regarding inconsistency between the OT God and the NT God. I don't understand the transition of character, and I have yet had a Christian who explained it logically.

The answer was always that God is mysterious, that we do not understand his ways, and that he can do what he wants.
Gretchen as I mentioned in the opening post, I have been on both sides of the fence and I have used that same defense (if it can be called one) a million times myself, however, I never could really understand why the God of the universe was giving us reading material that were shrouded in mystery and then expect of us to get it right. When we feel we've got it, it's because "the spirit of God revealed it to me" and when we have no answer it's because "God works in mysterious ways" or "his ways are not like our ways." Talk about having your cake and...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think true believers are ever embarrassed by the Old Testament because they really believe it's the word of God. When I've gotten into discussions about certain contradictions and missing information with someone who believes in the Bible literally and I know they're just plain stumped for an answer they'll generally say something like "that's only something that God can understand". I think they're sincere in their statements but if you don't really understand all of the details of your own beliefs then what exactly is it that you believe in the first place?
Point taken MG, but not all 'true believers' are educated believers and vice versa.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Well, I do think they say that as some sort of cop-out. If you think about it, creationists are quite willing to use ID to attempt to "reason" with the scientific community. Yet, as soon as "reason" fails, they fall back on these kinds of hazy, cloudy, nonsensical statements that are not really subject to a logical reasoning process. It's sort of like a fall-back defense in a way.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Do you think some Christians are embarrassed about the Old Testament? I can only speak for myself and no I am not. I believe ALL of the Bible is the inspired Word of God. The truth of the OT transcends time.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Do you think some Christians are embarrassed about the Old Testament? I can only speak for myself and no I am not. I believe ALL of the Bible is the inspired Word of God. The truth of the OT transcends time.
Does this include all the crazy commands too ILNC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality