Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

If a Christian is embarrassed by God's word ,then they are not or should not call themselves Christians. A Christian should not be embarassed by God's word ,New Testament or Old Testament we are convicted by His word and should stand firm in our belief and should not compromise His word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM

321 posts, read 679,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Are you talking about the 10 Commandments?
No, ILNC.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Hey man, christians dont even know the New Testament, most christians are biblically ignorant and dogma rich
Come to think of it, you may have a point there.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
If a Christian is embarrassed by God's word ,then they are not or should not call themselves Christians. A Christian should not be embarassed by God's word ,New Testament or Old Testament we are convicted by His word and should stand firm in our belief and should not compromise His word.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Way back when I used to actually attend church, I remember that some of my peers use to actually feel a certain sense of pride that they rarely read the Old Testament. They often said things to me like, "we're no longer under the law." Their forays into the O.T was to read an occasional Psalm, quote a Proverb or two, read up on a few "prophecies" [supposedly] predicting Jesus and the end times and a stop into the book of Leviticus to find an argument to condemn gays. Beyond that, most of them couldn't tell you where the Book of Habakkuk was or whether there was even such a book.

I also ask because it is clear all over the internet that one of the strongest arguments that critics have that I know must annoy Christians to no end is their constant harping on the repetitious bloodletting, sexism and other madness found in the O.T supposedly ordered and/or ordained by God. You have stories of God killing men for refusing to impregnate their dead brother's wife, laws discriminating against men with damaged "balls" along with illegitimate children as well as laws forcing rapists to marry rapees and I guess, vice versa.

I don't think many Christians even want to deal with trying to explain away these things in their beloved "word of God" and so the New Testament which is devoid of much of that madness gets far more attention. This has created an interesting thing, however. The critics actually learn more about the Bible then the actual believers. I have seen this in action first hand. I often get this look of bewilderment when certain Old Testament passages are pointed out. It's one of those "what the pluck?" moments I see in their eyes. You can tell they have never read or even heard of the passage.

Amazingly, I have even heard the admission that "it's great to have unbelievers around because they drive us to the word." Isn't that rather telling?

Ah...just my observation.
That is a very valid question. Some people take the Bible out of context in order to preach hate and bigotry. That is embarrassing to the REAL Bible believing Christians who understand the Old Testament. I'll try to answer your question but feel free to ask any more questions. If you need scriptures for anything I say just let me know.

My answer would be NO I am not embarrassed or ashamed of the O.T. I'm proud that my God would not hide all the bad things that happened in the past from me. How many other religions air their dirt for the whole world to know? If the Bible was just some made up book the authors would not have put in the stuff that they did but The Holy Spirit was working in them. The Old Testament is filled with murder, rape, incest, adultery, etc. That to me is what makes it believable. There's no fluff, just the Truth good and bad. It shows that we are all sinners, no better or no worse than anyone else and that we all need redemption.

The main purpose of the OT is to prophesy the coming of the future Messiah (Jesus) through God's chosen people (the Jews). The Jews rejected their Messiah Jesus because He was not the political leader that they had hoped for.....God blinded them in order to bring Salvation to the Gentiles (non Jew). Jesus' blood took the place of goats and calves blood and is a ONE TIME SACRIFICE for sins past, present, and future. It is finished means there is no more sacrifice needed.

The Old Testament legalism was voided when Christ died on the cross since no one could ever live up to the Old Testament laws. The OT is still the Word of God.
Hebrews 9:11-28
Hebrews 10:1-39
Salvation

EXAMPLE: The Old Testament is like a mirror that shows you that you are filthy but doesn't provide a way to clean yourself..........
The New Testament provides the cleansing washing through Christ's shed blood

If you have any specific questions regarding an Old Testament law or verse just let me know and I'll try to explain it.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 12-02-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
That is a very valid question. Some people take the Bible out of context in order to preach hate and bigotry. It's embarrassing to the REAL Bible believing Christians. I'll try to answer your question but feel free to ask any more questions. If you need scriptures for anything I say just let me know.

My answer would be no I am not ashamed of the O.T. I'm proud that my God would not hide all the bad things that happened in the past from me. How many other religions air their dirt for the whole world to know? If the Bible was just some made up book the authors would not have put in the stuff that they did but The Holy Spirit was working in them. The Old Testament is filled with murder, rape, incest, adultery, etc. That to me is what makes it believable. There's no fluff, just the Truth good and bad. It shows that we are all sinners, no better or no worse than anyone else and that we all need redemption.

The main purpose of the OT is to prophesy the coming of the future messiah (Jesus) through God's chosen people (the Jews). The Jews rejected their messiah Jesus because He was not the political leader that they had hoped for.....God blinded them in order to bring Salvation to the Gentiles (non Jew). Jesus' blood took the place of goats and calves blood and is a ONE TIME SACRIFICE for sins past, present, and future. It is finished means there is no more sacrifice needed.

The Old Testament legalism was voided when Christ died on the cross since no one could ever live up the Old Testament laws. The OT is still the Word of God.
Hebrews 9:11-28
Hebrews 10:1-39
Salvation

EXAMPLE: The Old Testament is like a mirror that shows you that you are filthy but doesn't provide a way to clean yourself..........
The New Testament provides the cleansing washing through Christ's shed blood

If you have any specific questions regarding an Old Testament law or verse just let me know and I'll try to explain it.
Thank you.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
I "know" her M.G. I know her style and I mean her no harm so why are you telling me "don't?" lol It's a fair question I ask her, don't you think? She's a ig kid. I think she can handle herself. Right ILNC?
Actually you don't know me or you would not have asked me that question.

What is an ig kid?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I think parts of the Old Testament were included in the Bible for historical purposes more than anything else, to give body to the lineage that leads to Jesus, and why He was our Messiah. After all, He was a Peacenik on a mission. (Peacenik! I haven't even thought of that word in decades!) Comparatively, I don't think the violence in it sounds any worse than the current evil in other parts of the world (although many of those are Islamic countries).

For this, I never took the Old Testament seriously enough to relate to it OR feel embarrassment. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Although I suppose I'm not as good a Christian as I could be, because I have never been able to accept Jesus's turn-the-other-cheek passitivity. Just ain't my nature.

And, hell, look at China, a communist country with NO religion that can't be at peace, either. The Falon Gong ~ a very passive peaceful "religion" ~ suffers atrocities for their beliefs.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM

378 posts, read 626,048 times
The Old Testament may have some strange things in it, however, true believers in The Bible definitely do believe The Old Testament. It is probably not embarrassing to them, since they have read it and truly believe it's God's Word.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
The Old Testament may have some strange things in it, however, true believers in The Bible definitely do believe The Old Testament. It is probably not embarrassing to them, since they have read it and truly believe it's God's Word.
Exactly. Like Noland said why would any Christian be embarrassed by any part of God's Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality