Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee
A soldier in a war in NOT a murderer!!!!!

Yeah that is true in most cases, but often the Isrealites were ordered to kill just because god was pissed off. Not in any type of self defense or pre emptive strike. What if some nut today said "God told me to kill all the wicked people in L.A.!" God or Mental Illness?
Yeah, don't forget to kill all the babies, rape or collect the virgins for selling later as slaves....Yes, they must have been soldiers alright.. I think today that would be called genocide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
I would never be embarrassed of the o.t. It's all about god's word. It speaks about the truth from the beginning to the end.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, don't forget to kill all the babies, rape or collect the virgins for selling later as slaves....Yes, they must have been soldiers alright.. I think today that would be called genocide.
One might forget that these things were also a practice of the gentles.
At times, the Israelites were also targets.

It was a very violent time and violence continues to this day:
slavery, the holocaust and even the persecution of Christians.
These things are not God's perfect will. They are the result of man and his sinfulness.

One might also forget that compared to God, all humans are totally evil and unclean.
It is this aspect of God, His holiness, which separates us from Him and sends us to hell by default.

Still, God is not without love and mercy.
He had to make a way to reconcile humanity to Himself - a way to protect us from His wrath - even from His pure holiness.

(Actually, speaking of the Israelite's rebelliousness in the desert)
Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.
1Cor 10:6

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
"For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

John 3:16-21

Last edited by Richio; 12-03-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Added the line in bold.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM

321 posts, read 679,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post

These things are not God's perfect will. They are the result of man and his sinfulness.

One might also forget that compared to God, all humans are totally evil and unclean.
It is this aspect of God, His holiness, which separates us from Him and sends us to hell by default.

He had to make a way to reconcile humanity to Himself - a way to protect us from His wrath - even from His pure holiness.

Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
"For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

Richio, what is this supposed holy and loving God doing all up in human affairs acting like a spoiled child instead of RISING above the drama to provide better and moral options?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,554 times
Quote:

Yes, but God sure incited it and encouraged it when he was mad. As another poster said, why not rise above all that and teach the Israelites to be better? Instead, he gives them permission to do all the most horrible things in his name.

So the other poor tribes, who were never even given an opportunity to get to know and please god, were sacrificed to make place for the Israelites? Why? There was plenty of space. As an example to us? Why? Is that the only way an almighty god could have done it? Please.

The story about Isaac is despicable. A test of faith? What kind of cruel monster would ask a parent to do that to a child?

As Richard Dawkins points out, the OT God is an egomaniacal bully.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Richio, what is this supposed holy and loving God doing all up in human affairs acting like a spoiled child instead of RISING above the drama to provide better and moral options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Yes, but God sure incited it and encouraged it when he was mad. As another poster said, why not rise above all that and teach the Israelites to be better? Instead, he gives them permission to do all the most horrible things in his name.

So the other poor tribes, who were never even given an opportunity to get to know and please god, were sacrificed to make place for the Israelites? Why? There was plenty of space. As an example to us? Why? Is that the only way an almighty god could have done it? Please.

The story about Isaac is despicable. A test of faith? What kind of cruel monster would ask a parent to do that to a child?

As Richard Dawkins points out, the OT God is an egomaniacal bully.
You are quite welcome to your opinions.
I've stated my own - based on what I can understand from the Bible as a whole.
There are many things I cannot grasp, but I do know that Jesus is the manifestation of God's love and mercy.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM

321 posts, read 679,341 times
Quote:
You are quite welcome to your opinions.
I've stated my own - based on what I can understand from the Bible as a whole.
There are many things I cannot grasp, but I do know that Jesus is the manifestation of God's love and mercy.
And likewise, Richio. You are entitled to place faith in that belief.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 PM

353 posts, read 552,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Please give specific examples if you want specific answers.
I agree.
Condemned, do you have some specific scripture your refering to?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
What kind of answer are you looking for?

I predict you'll get alot of answers from non-Christians saying "of course Christians are embarrassed".

You'll also get answers from Christians saying "no we're not".

And the music plays on....

(no I'm not)
That about sums it up. For those who don't understand, they don't want to, the point is moot.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM

285 posts, read 535,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I think parts of the Old Testament were included in the Bible for historical purposes more than anything else, to give body to the lineage that leads to Jesus, and why He was our Messiah. After all, He was a Peacenik on a mission. (Peacenik! I haven't even thought of that word in decades!) Comparatively, I don't think the violence in it sounds any worse than the current evil in other parts of the world (although many of those are Islamic countries).

For this, I never took the Old Testament seriously enough to relate to it OR feel embarrassment. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Although I suppose I'm not as good a Christian as I could be, because I have never been able to accept Jesus's turn-the-other-cheek passitivity. Just ain't my nature.

And, hell, look at China, a communist country with NO religion that can't be at peace, either. The Falon Gong ~ a very passive peaceful "religion" ~ suffers atrocities for their beliefs.

You are right, the OT god telling his morons to rape and kill is no worse the Allah telling the muslims to rape and kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality