Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: deleted due to addressing orphaned post

Does anyone know everything about everything--including the Bible? Bible scholars even disagree on the interpretation of the Bible. Does it matter people don't know everything about the Bible? What matters is that they're trying to learn. Do you think at the time of our death God is going to tick off what we knew and what we didn't know or understand in the Bible, or what version we read?

In the Old Testament, a lot of the rituals set down by God were for the protection of the people themselves. And the sacrifices were set down by God as a way to atone for their sin. The link between the Old and New Testaments is that Jesus is the final sacrifice whose does away with the ritual of sacrificing animals.

Take a look at Job 38, and see if you can answer those questions God posed to Job. In reality, we are very small in the scheme of things when faced with even trying to provide these answers--and yet we are loved by the One asking.

Moderator cut: Orphaned quote - the post quoted has since been deleted.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-21-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
No, I am not ashamed of the OT and frankly, I don't know any christians who are. I think the Ot was written by ancient intelligent men who believed , as I do, in God/Creator..I believe(because of their faith, not that God told them what to write) they were trying to convey the concept of ONE god, One creator who was more powerful than any of the others gods of stone, or gold..One God who would eventually overcome all the evil that man brings to himself and the world.I found that with a very basic study of the forms of literature that the OT makes much more sense to me..I believe these men knew God, and were trying to make him known to people who didn't know about him..I think these writers very successfully wove the legendary tales of the beginning, the world flood, the tower of Bable , into stories related to the one true God, the creator of all..I think God was pleased with what they wrote, because it was the beginning of belief..If God had not been pleased with what they conveyed, I don't think He would have seen that the ancient writings were preserved..To me that is Gods stamp that He approved

Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
No, I am not ashamed of the OT and frankly, I don't know any christians who are. I think the Ot was written by ancient intelligent men who believed , as I do, in God/Creator..I believe(because of their faith, not that God told them what to write) they were trying to convey the concept of ONE god, One creator who was more powerful than any of the others gods of stone, or gold..One God who would eventually overcome all the evil that man brings to himself and the world.I found that with a very basic study of the forms of literature that the OT makes much more sense to me..I believe these men knew God, and were trying to make him known to people who didn't know about him..I think these writers very successfully wove the legendary tales of the beginning, the world flood, the tower of Bable , into stories related to the one true God, the creator of all..I think God was pleased with what they wrote, because it was the beginning of belief..If God had not been pleased with what they conveyed, I don't think He would have seen that the ancient writings were preserved..To me that is Gods stamp that He approved
Well said, Blue. The failure to realize that they are spiritual fossil records of our evolution out of savagery under the prompting (inspiration) of God is the primary source of misunderstanding of God, IMO. Jesus was sacrificed to our barbarity to end all those misconceptions . . . instead they have been perpetuated with the precepts and doctrines of men.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
You are right, the OT god telling his morons to rape and kill is no worse the Allah telling the muslims to rape and kill.
Hi ahteist2,

What's wrong with rape and killing? I don't want to be told its obvious. I want to understand your reasoning.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
One might forget that these things were also a practice of the gentles.
At times, the Israelites were also targets.

It was a very violent time and violence continues to this day:
slavery, the holocaust and even the persecution of Christians.
These things are not God's perfect will. They are the result of man and his sinfulness.

One might also forget that compared to God, all humans are totally evil and unclean.
It is this aspect of God, His holiness, which separates us from Him and sends us to hell by default.

Still, God is not without love and mercy.
He had to make a way to reconcile humanity to Himself - a way to protect us from His wrath - even from His pure holiness.

(Actually, speaking of the Israelite's rebelliousness in the desert)
Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.
1Cor 10:6

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
"For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

John 3:16-21

Hi Richio,

Actually they were into human and child sacrifice...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Richio,

Actually they were into human and child sacrifice...not that there is anything wrong with that.
Hi gwynedd,
I'd “suppose” by “they, you mean the pagans.
I also suppose you left off the smerky rolling eyes smiley face.
"not that there's anything wrong with that."

The rest of this is for the general reader - pertaining to the OP.
Richio

Adam and Eve had brought forth the knowledge of good and evil, but their descendants were unable to distinguish between the two.
That's what much of the Old Testament is about.

The Ammonites sacrificed children to Molech, and the Moabites (from Moab, the son of Lot’s oldest daughter) had a similar god, Chemosh.
The Canaanites, the Syrians (Hittites, Jebusites, Amorites, and others) and the Arabs also had some form of fire-god to whom they sacrificed children.
[Smith's Bible Dictionary]

Israel also practiced this, at times embracing it as their comfort level throughout the Old Testament.
After bringing His people out of Egypt (a people chosen in part to be a symbol of man’s propensity to seek after the wrong thing),
YHWH gave them instructions to avoid defilement, but they often didn't listen very well.

YHWH is the author of life, but His creation cast Him aside to worship (even by killing their own offspring) gods made up by imaginings and evil delusion.
Needless to say, there were/are no actual entities who could call themselves "Molech" or "Chemosh" or any other name.
God was not jealous of gods which are not really anything at all.

He is jealous for his people – that they not serve false gods – just as a parent does not want to see their son or daughter shacked up with a loser/leach/abuser - eventually leading to ruin and sorrow.
Worse than that, it was as if His creation was shacking up with a blowup doll - fully expecting an enriching and satisfying relationship.

This is God’s jealousy, and He created a nation to be a parable of this human drama.
Some have it in their heads that YHWH is a “spoiled child” objecting to His demand that we separate the clean from the unclean and that we honor Him as the living God – the only God.

Parables are odd things, because many meanings can be contrived with man’s reasoning, but only the Spirit gives understanding of spiritual truth.
At this point today, YHWH has revealed Himself to the point of providing a way of restoration – something which no man can accomplish on his own.
So the way now is open to all people – not just one nation or one lineage.
There can be no more lineage of any meaning - past the appearance of Yeshua, Christ Jesus.

Now that Christ has been lifted up on the cross, He calls to all people everywhere (and we must bring His message).
Those seeking more than a relationship with emptiness are receptive to the Spirit and He germinates the seed of the gospel.
Some allow it to take good root in their hearts and grow – yielding lasting fruit of love grace and peace.
All - by placing full faith in the living God.

Sadly, some who apparently believe He is real, judge Him by human standards of measure as they would attempt to discern another human.
They deem him to be childish and over demanding, and they want nothing to do with the giver of breath.
Only - God who created every atom in this seemingly infinite universe and the laws by which everything operates is not on a level with the kid next door.

The spoiled ungrateful child is the human race and children must be taught the difference between right and wrong – clean and unclean – good and evil.

While the children of Israel were still the object lesson, it was necessary to remove bad influences and entrapments.
Thus, God decreed the removal of those who would say, “come, offer your offspring to this god we've made up”.
We might think of it as harsh and uncivilized, but God was taking things one step at a time, and THAT step meant removing evil from the environment of His children.

Those who were removed were not exactly politically correct either.
The evil they practiced could not be allowed to persist - just as civil society does not allow murderers, molesters and thieves the freedom to pursue their desires for the sake of political correctness.
So God ordered that these peoples be removed – even eliminated from the immediate environment of the Israelites.
He warned them not to even make a treaty with these “neighbors”, but Joshua got tricked into doing just that – “beginning” the strife which continues today.

Here for the reader, are some of YHWH’s “thoughts” concerning human and even child sacrifice resulting in defilement and wickedness.

'You shall not give any of your offspring to offer them to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God; I am the LORD.
'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
'Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion.
'Do not defile yourselves by any of these things; for by all these the nations which I am casting out before you have become defiled.
'For the land has become defiled, therefore I have brought its punishment upon it, so the land has spewed out its inhabitants.
'But as for you, you are to keep My statutes and My judgments and shall not do any of these abominations, neither the native, nor the alien who sojourns among you
(for the men of the land who have been before you have done all these abominations, and the land has become defiled);
so that the land will not spew you out, should you defile it, as it has spewed out the nation which has been before you.

Lev 18:21-28

Because of these things, the northern kingdom of Israel was sent into Assyria (c720 BC) - into permanent exile as a distinct people (Jeremiah 3)(2Kings 17).
The house of Judah/the kingdom of Judah however, had periods of repentance but still maintained the high places where pagan worship was conducted.
YHWH did not divorce them – cutting them off, but He sent Judah into Babylonian captivity for a time before beginning the second Temple.

"Indeed this city has been to Me a provocation of My anger and My wrath from the day that they built it, even to this day, so that it should be removed from before My face,
because of all the evil of the sons of Israel and the sons of Judah which they have done to provoke Me to anger--they, their kings, their leaders, their priests, their prophets, the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
"They have turned their back to Me and not their face; though I taught them, teaching again and again, they would not listen and receive instruction.
"But they put their detestable things in the house which is called by My name, to defile it.
"They built the high places of Baal that are in the valley of Ben-hinnom to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I had not commanded them nor had it entered My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.
"Now therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning this city of which you say, 'It is given into the hand of the king of Babylon by sword, by famine and by pestilence.'

Jer 32:31-36

Several hundred years before the release of Judah from Babylon came to pass (Ezra), Isaiah even named Cyrus the Great as the instrument God would use to bring this about (Is 44,45)

Ezekiel prophesied about the House of Israel who never returned from Assyria, but were dispersed into obscurity – so that any of us (you or I) might be descendant of the House of Israel.
And so Jesus came to rescue "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" – offering the Lamb of God as atonement, if we will but repent and believe allow that good news to take root in our hearts.
(Matthew 15:24)

"Therefore, say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Will you defile yourselves after the manner of your fathers and play the harlot after their detestable things?
"When you offer your gifts, when you cause your sons to pass through the fire, you are defiling yourselves with all your idols to this day. And shall I be inquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "I will not be inquired of by you.
"What comes into your mind will not come about, when you say: 'We will be like the nations, like the tribes of the lands, serving wood and stone.'
"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "surely with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out, I shall be king over you.
"I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you from the lands where you are scattered, with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out;
and I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will enter into judgment with you face to face.

Ezekiel 20:30-35

We shall all answer for our own high places, and yet believers have Yeshua, our high priest and our Lamb and our mediator. (Hebrews)

Am I ashamed of the Old Testament or YHWH?
No.
It is the story of the most high God beginning the work of restoring His creation into correct relationship with Him.
Sadly, many will rely on their various gods and even just being a "good person" by their own might.
However, at the culmination of this drama, the chaff and the tares must be burned away – leaving only the fruit of the field.

Last edited by Richio; 12-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: puctuation & added: "of Judah from Babylon" in brown.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Way back when I used to actually attend church, I remember that some of my peers use to actually feel a certain sense of pride that they rarely read the Old Testament. They often said things to me like, "we're no longer under the law." Their forays into the O.T was to read an occasional Psalm, quote a Proverb or two, read up on a few "prophecies" [supposedly] predicting Jesus and the end times and a stop into the book of Leviticus to find an argument to condemn gays. Beyond that, most of them couldn't tell you where the Book of Habakkuk was or whether there was even such a book.

I also ask because it is clear all over the internet that one of the strongest arguments that critics have that I know must annoy Christians to no end is their constant harping on the repetitious bloodletting, sexism and other madness found in the O.T supposedly ordered and/or ordained by God. You have stories of God killing men for refusing to impregnate their dead brother's wife, laws discriminating against men with damaged "balls" along with illegitimate children as well as laws forcing rapists to marry rapees and I guess, vice versa.

I don't think many Christians even want to deal with trying to explain away these things in their beloved "word of God" and so the New Testament which is devoid of much of that madness gets far more attention. This has created an interesting thing, however. The critics actually learn more about the Bible then the actual believers. I have seen this in action first hand. I often get this look of bewilderment when certain Old Testament passages are pointed out. It's one of those "what the pluck?" moments I see in their eyes. You can tell they have never read or even heard of the passage.

Amazingly, I have even heard the admission that "it's great to have unbelievers around because they drive us to the word." Isn't that rather telling?

Ah...just my observation.
I am. Unlike many Christians (I"m going to get hit with a lightening bolt for sure ), I see the bible as a collection of writings by men in man's attempt to understand God. I think too often, men have looked at the way things are and assigned devine meaning where there should have been none. Sometimes things just are and there's no devine reason for it. Perhaps the reason Christ came was that we had it so wrong so he did away with the law and gave us something we could handle. Grace.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,845 times
Mostly, I’d assume that unbelievers were uninterested in Scripture references or quotes.
It wouldn't have held my interest when I was an unbeliever, but I wouldn't have been hanging here anyway.
However, for a thread concerning the Old Testament as viewed by Christians - I’d consider the Old Testament (and even the NT) to be fairly germain to the topic.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

285 posts, read 535,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi ahteist2,

What's wrong with rape and killing? I don't want to be told its obvious. I want to understand your reasoning.
ahh sarcasm hmmmm

well the idea of right and wrong is clearly something which is subjective.

however, rape and murder and things like that threaten our survival as a society and so they are considered wrong. not based on some gods moral law, but rather the fact that we are trying to survive as a society.

of course this does not apply to the bible, that god loved rape and murder and he always had his followers killing and raping those who did not worship him.

it all boils down to society and survival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality