Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
this is probably in the wrong thread; however, i found no subject heading that addressed about that which i wanted to discuss. my observation is to all, but to those who particularly identity themselves as simple New Testament christians. more and more, i hear the cultural expression of the use of the term in God's name in vain, "Oh My God" and "OMG". as a christian, this expression is totally w/out christian merit, as an expression, and i am shocked to hear christian adults, teenagers, and children regularly using in in daily expression of language. the christian should never utter the name of god, christ, or the lord unless it is for the purpose of addressing the aforementioned in addresses of prayer, holiness, salutation, and reverence. these titles are never to be used as trivial, trite, or treated as common wordy expressions. perhaps, someone would care to comment of the subject, for i see it as being very offensive and disrespectful to the lord, and all christians should be thinking about it now and correcting those for whom they are responsible for teaching. again, it is a use of the Lord's name in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef
this is probably in the wrong thread; however, i found no subject heading that addressed about that which i wanted to discuss. my observation is to all, but to those who particularly identity themselves as simple New Testament christians. more and more, i hear the cultural expression of the use of the term in God's name in vain, "Oh My God" and "OMG". as a christian, this expression is totally w/out christian merit, as an expression, and i am shocked to hear christian adults, teenagers, and children regularly using in in daily expression of language. the christian should never utter the name of god, christ, or the lord unless it is for the purpose of addressing the aforementioned in addresses of prayer, holiness, salutation, and reverence. these titles are never to be used as trivial, trite, or treated as common wordy expressions. perhaps, someone would care to comment of the subject, for i see it as being very offensive and disrespectful to the lord, and all christians should be thinking about it now and correcting those for whom they are responsible for teaching. again, it is a use of the Lord's name in vain.
Why would this OMG or Oh my God reference the bible god in the first place, yours is one of thousands of gods.

This is anyway not taking the lord's name in vain. Your god has a name and that is either yahwe or elohim or jesus if you are a trinitarian.

I think this has more to do with swearing an oath, saying god told me to tell you this when it is merely your own opinion. I could look up the scripts for that but I am sure you are capable enough.

Your premise would have to include expressions like Oh lordy etc.

As an atheist I find it inoffensive and merely a speech habit. Would you prefer everyone used the F-bomb as an alternative expletive?

If you want to control their speech what is next, their sex lives? Oh wait, you guys already have that covered.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
As a Christian it is offensive Seeker. It's flagrantly taking the Lord's name in vain and I'm glad you brought this to the attention of others because it is a huge problem. OMG has become the norm and it shouldn't be that way. Oh my gosh is one thing, but oh my God is something completely different. And that's what people mean when they use OMG. I absolutely hate the use of GD out of anyone's mouth, it makes me cringe. Just say damnit if you have to say something. It's a Christian thing, and it's just not acceptable. The bible says so.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
As a Christian it is offensive Seeker. It's flagrantly taking the Lord's name in vain and I'm glad you brought this to the attention of others because it is a huge problem. OMG has become the norm and it shouldn't be that way. Oh my gosh is one thing, but oh my God is something completely different. And that's what people mean when they use OMG. I absolutely hate the use of GD out of anyone's mouth, it makes me cringe. Just say damnit if you have to say something. It's a Christian thing, and it's just not acceptable. The bible says so.
Well I have even heard that gosh is an acronym for god and who is to say OMG is not oh my gosh.

I think stuff like JFC (work it out) would be offensive but a generic OMG is not. What about the expression holy crap?

I understand the sensitivity and do not use that as an expletive or exclamation. I think it is merely an expression of modern speech. The idea that this is blasphemy really missed the true meaning of that term. Even when I was a believer, I never took offense, one hardly sees a movie these days w/o the JC reference in the dialogue.

The Scots like to use the term "holy mother of god" as an expletive which to most catholics would be offensive, again is it derogatory or is it merely an expression?
    1. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
    2. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
  • An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.
Read more: blasphemy: West's Encyclopedia of American Law (Full Article) from Answers.com

IMO, 1b comes close to what we witness when I see "god told me.." and it is merely the opinion of the man. Thus by what we see here all xians seem to be guilty of this. This would apply to the pope that claims he stands in the place of god until his return (his latin name, you can look it up) and of course those that claim they are stewards, men of god etc.

2 would apply to me as I speak against what is regarded as sacred by many. Actually I speak against the lies of the belief having been there once myself, so in reality I am more apostate.

Either way, all these did carry the death penalty and fortunately in this day and age of enlightenment, we heathen too can share our opinions w/o reprisal unless you are in a muslim country

Even the blasphemy laws in Ireland essentially are there to prevent folk speaking out against the church but probably will not stand in court as which church is the authority? RCC of COE?

So even with a legal definition, it is not really cast in concrete what constitutes a blasphemy.

Were I to invade my old church and stand up and correct the lies of the pastor even with irrefutable proof, I would be ushered out rather quickly and likely a slap to the ear for good measure. I would not do that as that would constitute invasion of privacy and would be a crime in context of our constitution. Likewise they are restricted here and if someone came to my door pestering me, I could file a lawsuit against them. Only the JW's still do door-door stuff but they are not allowed in the gate and have to shout and get permission to enter the premises, we all have fences or brick walls here not like your open plan in the USA (by what I see on TV)

They cannot even enter cluster dwellings as they have to be let in by security, same for apartments, closest you'll get to is an intercom. Then if allowed in will only be allowed to go that particular apartment. They would then have to go out and call again to be let in. Failure to do so by merely knocking on the next door will lead to an arrest.

Even when xians want to do a parade or say hold a tent meeting on a sports field, permission has to be sought from the local authorities. A resident can stop this by citing that the noise will be offensive should their house be in the same street as the sports field. Churches are allowed to post posters of coming events but that has to be cleared by the local council, anything offensive like gay bashing can be taken down with a complaint to the authorities, they are not even allowed to publicly bash other religions. Church then stays in church where it belongs and they are not even allowed to slam atheists as being of the devil on their own bill boards as I have seen some examples of on this and other forums.

The church I attended has a cell tower on the property and has Jesus Saves in big letters, that is allowed as it is on their property and not construed as offensive. Were I to lodge a complaint because I am "forced" to read it, I will be told to get over myself.

One city here was full of xian stuff on municipal buses, they were forced to remove it as it was public property. Then again I see jesus fish stickers and the like and no one keys their cars, nor have I seen Darwin fish on atheists cars. Ironically, the drivers of the fish cars usually are the ones giving the finger to everyone else.

Most folk here still self identify as xian so there are seldom any lawsuits like what you have with the ACLU, but then again, we do not have xian stuff plastered up on our courts and schools. As with all schools I attended, if you were a jew or muslim, or non xian, you were allowed to skip the religious part of assembly, probably something that the USA no longer does anyway. Ours are nowadays restricted to a bible reading and a short prayer. Consensus is gained from the PTA whether this is allowed or not and in most city schools where the cultures are more diverse, this religious part does not take place.

Sorry for the long explanation, just so you know where I am coming from. We have no blasphemy laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality