Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I'm thinking you're in for one HUGE surprise at the end of this lifetime.
I seriously doubt it. But is that a veiled threat?
Quote:
From what I've read and heard (not in any church or from any clergy), science has all but proven the probability of God's existence to the point that the only thing you can not do is reach out and touch Him.
If you cannot touch him/it then it is not real. Science does not seek to prove that which is imaginary, much like they do not delve into alchemy trying to make gold from lead. Science has in fact proven creation to be a myth.
Quote:
Events in Exodus were natural events, and individually, they could simply be random. But, when you look at the timing of each event, and each succeeding event has more precise timing, it becomes no longer random. The further you get into it, the more they were all orchestrated. Then, point to someone, ANYONE, on this earth that is capable of that.
The events, if they happened, one would lead to the other, there is/was no divine hand that orchestrated it. Folk back then did not understand what causes this, volcanoes were seen as angry gods.
Quote:
I have other reason, besides that, for my belief that God is real and does exist. Not something I was taught, but something I experienced. It's also a very large part of my basis that I believe we do not know him nearly as well as we would like to think we do. but, He most certainly is real, and He does exist.
Something you experienced is not empirical proof and experiences cannot be refuted. An experience is something that is personal and in most cases the mind convinces you that is was real. I too had those "real" experiences.

What you really have is the best con ever sold to man. It is a mind control system targeting the base instincts of fear and mortality.

Whatever protestants or any other offshoot from the RCC has, they decided what was scripture in 325CE at the council of Nicea. These corrupt men were your founding fathers of the faith. EVERYTHING xians believe is derived from their decisions. All bible translations are derived from their texts and they made sure alternate doctrines were stamped out. They merged paganism, with Judaism, invented the messiah, merged Caesar worship and rituals so that Caesar would be ess. head of the church, this all happened when Constantine was emperor and essentially had the papacy under his control. Much of the RCC rituals today are derived from ancient emperor worship.

They invented the trinity doctrine, the holy ghost was their addition to the texts and in John's epistle, and these three are one referring to father son and holy spirit is a known forgery and later addition.

Folk that delve deep into these roots are not going to tell you the truth. W/o followers, god does not exist and they cannot shoot themselves in the foot if that is there only source of income. There are many honest theologians that did toss it all but there was another to take their place in the churches they abandoned.

Folk want or need to believe their awaits something hereafter. They have been brainwashed from their youth. Hitler and Stalin both achieved success in brainwashing the impressionable youth in their early teens. What is not instilled though mind control is done with the last resort fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
[quote=3~Shepherds;18632771]
Quote:
Archeology is very interesting and over in Israel they have found lots of Biblical proof. The use of high-precision radiocarbon dating (C) methods on some of the relics firmly established that occupation of the site had began in the eleventh century B.C.
What 'relics'? Pieces of pottery? Stones?

Quote:
Early dates establish the existence of the Edomite kingdom at the time King David and his son Solomon ruled over Israel. The Old Testament claims that David conquered the Edomites and placed garrisons there.
The OT also claims that Joshua destroyed Jericho by blowing trumpets but archaeology shows that Jericho was destroyed by means of conventional warfare a thousand years before Josh. There wasn't even anyone living there when he was alleged to have been around.

So you see, in order to make the claim that the Bible is true, you have to provide verifiable evidence that that every person in it existed, every place existed and every event happened. I on the other hand need only present you with one single event that didn't happen, one single person that didn't exist and I have proven that the Bible contains things that are not true....as in Josh and Jericho.

Quote:
The Bible claims that David ruled from ~1010 B.C. to 970 B.C., which is directly correlated with the dates determined at Khirbat en-Nahas. Now that C dating is being used to accurately determine archaeological sites in the Middle East. With this we should be getting a better idea of the accuracy of Old Testament histories.
I think you should read something other than 'Answers in Genesis' or mis-information from similar Bible apologist site.

Quote:
The important thing is to know that there are several explanations that are Biblically based that contradict this thought of evolution from apes, cro-magnon, etc.
Another 'creationist' trying to debunk evolution without knowing anything about it. We did not evolve from apes. We ARE apes.

Quote:
Phineas Dake spent a lifetime studying scripture and he gives reference scriptures to support his beliefs in a pre-adamite civilization.
What a scholar!!! He uses the Bible to prove the Bible!! Brilliant!!

Quote:
Some of the web sites talking about this are good but get a bit carried away and add some other things that are questionable.
I'm shocked!!

Quote:
No, I think we are discovering new things all the time. We are just a hurried people and except it now how about this...............One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? - Antony Flew Renounces Atheism.......
So what? Would you like me to give you a list of famous theists that have become atheists?

You need to ask if Flew changed his mind or did Flew's mind change him. Flew, in his later life, became a little senile. In 2005 a Christian broadcaster had to abandon plans to broadcast an interview with Flew, 'out of respect'. This was because he was incoherent and could not understand the questions.

From what I've read, it seems Flew was taken advantage of and I think it's despicable. It shows the moral depravity of some theists.

If flew was anything in his dotage he was deist. Either way, he didn't believe in your Biblegod.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I seriously doubt it. But is that a veiled threat?

If you cannot touch him/it then it is not real. Science does not seek to prove that which is imaginary, much like they do not delve into alchemy trying to make gold from lead. Science has in fact proven creation to be a myth.
Can you touch the moon? Can you touch Mars? Can you touch any part of the Orion Constellation? Or do you insist they are not real as well?
Quote:
The events, if they happened, one would lead to the other, there is/was no divine hand that orchestrated it. Folk back then did not understand what causes this, volcanoes were seen as angry gods.

Something you experienced is not empirical proof and experiences cannot be refuted. An experience is something that is personal and in most cases the mind convinces you that is was real. I too had those "real" experiences.
Oh, you did, did you? And, when did you die?

Quote:
What you really have is the best con ever sold to man. It is a mind control system targeting the base instincts of fear and mortality.

Whatever protestants or any other offshoot from the RCC has, they decided what was scripture in 325CE at the council of Nicea. These corrupt men were your founding fathers of the faith. EVERYTHING xians believe is derived from their decisions. All bible translations are derived from their texts and they made sure alternate doctrines were stamped out. They merged paganism, with Judaism, invented the messiah, merged Caesar worship and rituals so that Caesar would be ess. head of the church, this all happened when Constantine was emperor and essentially had the papacy under his control. Much of the RCC rituals today are derived from ancient emperor worship.
Although, the church did order all copies destroyed, there is still a copy of the Gospel according to Mary Magdaline in existence in Egypt. There are other texts that have remained in existence, even though none of the established religions make them public.

Quote:
They invented the trinity doctrine, the holy ghost was their addition to the texts and in John's epistle, and these three are one referring to father son and holy spirit is a known forgery and later addition.
I never said one word about the "Holy Trinity". I simply said that God does exist. The "resurrection" and "ascension" are considered the very basis, the core, of all Christian belief. There are two Bibles that are the oldest complete Bibles in the world. The one you are familiar with is the "Codex Vaticanus". But, there are thousands of differences between that and the "Codex Sinaiticus". Sinaiticus says nothing about the resurrection or the ascension. Admittedly, it is enough to make one wonder just where fact ends and fiction begins.

Quote:
Folk that delve deep into these roots are not going to tell you the truth. W/o followers, god does not exist and they cannot shoot themselves in the foot if that is there only source of income. There are many honest theologians that did toss it all but there was another to take their place in the churches they abandoned.

Folk want or need to believe their awaits something hereafter. They have been brainwashed from their youth. Hitler and Stalin both achieved success in brainwashing the impressionable youth in their early teens. What is not instilled though mind control is done with the last resort fear.
I've spent 16 years looking into it. I'm still learning more every day.

We've had the wrong mountain, and the waters of the Red Sea were never parted. They've found the grave of Moses at the top of the original Mt Sinai, and the artifacts of the drowned Egyptian army are buried in the silt at the bottom of the Reed Sea.

The Hebrews had their back to the sea, and the Egyptian army was coming. A geological movement ( an earthquake) thrust a strip of sea floor above water level, and the Hebrews crossed on a landbridge. When the Egyptian army pursued, another geological movement ( Call it an after-shock if you want ) and the sea floor went back down to it's current level. The Egyptian army was not between two walls of water. It was a tsunami that drowned them. (Look what happened in Japan.)

Each "natural event" that happened during the period of Exodus did so with more precise timing than the one before. The final one was right down to the minute. Care to explain that?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Can you touch the moon? Can you touch Mars? Can you touch any part of the Orion Constellation? Or do you insist they are not real as well?
Daft analogy. I can see the moon with my own eyes. I can see deeper into space with the right equipment, they are real, god is not. God only resides in your imagination IOW in your mind between your ears.
Quote:
Oh, you did, did you? And, when did you die?
Real experiences are in this tangible life, after death there is nothing just like it was before you were born.

What happens when you die

Quote:
Although, the church did order all copies destroyed, there is still a copy of the Gospel according to Mary Magdaline in existence in Egypt. There are other texts that have remained in existence, even though none of the established religions make them public.

I never said one word about the "Holy Trinity". I simply said that God does exist. The "resurrection" and "ascension" are considered the very basis, the core, of all Christian belief. There are two Bibles that are the oldest complete Bibles in the world. The one you are familiar with is the "Codex Vaticanus". But, there are thousands of differences between that and the "Codex Sinaiticus". Sinaiticus says nothing about the resurrection or the ascension. Admittedly, it is enough to make one wonder just where fact ends and fiction begins.
It is all fiction IMO.
Quote:
I've spent 16 years looking into it. I'm still learning more every day.

We've had the wrong mountain, and the waters of the Red Sea were never parted. They've found the grave of Moses at the top of the original Mt Sinai, and the artifacts of the drowned Egyptian army are buried in the silt at the bottom of the Reed Sea.

The Hebrews had their back to the sea, and the Egyptian army was coming. A geological movement ( an earthquake) thrust a strip of sea floor above water level, and the Hebrews crossed on a landbridge. When the Egyptian army pursued, another geological movement ( Call it an after-shock if you want ) and the sea floor went back down to it's current level. The Egyptian army was not between two walls of water. It was a tsunami that drowned them. (Look what happened in Japan.)

Each "natural event" that happened during the period of Exodus did so with more precise timing than the one before. The final one was right down to the minute. Care to explain that?
Look it up, it is explained on a number of sites. You cannot take the biblical account as factual, you have admitted it has been tampered with.

The red sea artifacts have been debunked as being from that era. Likely stuff that fell overboard from a ship and some of the YEC evidence suggests a iron hand wheel from a modern valve when back then, the iron age had not yet begun.

Not going to look up this again I debated this with C34 and refuted all his claims. AiG is a crock of ----.

Exodus never happened as reported and is a myth all on its own embellished to make a simple nomadic tribe seem like a conquering army led by an invisible god. The sheer numbers reported are ludicrous and even the fable rock of horeb could not provide water for millions of folk, there just was not enough hours in the day to collect the minimum 2 litres of water for everyone excluding the animals that must have been with them. Quayle and manna were just more fables of food from heaven to support the story as even back then folk knew survival in the desert was impossible w/o food and water and these folk were there 40 years procreating and all.

The trip only takes 7-9 days by foot providing you have enough water, you can go w/o food but not water.

With science debunking most of these claims, folk are now looking for alternative explanations to still hold onto their myths. It is always the wrong mountain or wrong crossing point etc.

The crowd at Obama's inauguration was est. at 1.8M

Take that and multiply by 3 in the desert where there was no water or food not latrines - you think that is possible? This pic shows only a small portion of that crowd. Now imagine trying to manage that in a desert. These folk were bussed in and huge expense undertaken to allow them the privilege.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
......and the artifacts of the drowned Egyptian army are buried in the silt at the bottom of the Reed Sea.
Oh dear!! Another Ron Wyatt fan!!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
SeekerSA.........That means every xian church I attended in my town are not true xians, they are all the same, I played in all of them. The only ones I did not attend was the RCC, the JW and the Baptist, the latter had a full band too.
Guess, you can't say all Churches or all Christians. People are people, Christians are just like any other human on the planet. We're a product of our raising. If their parents didn't teach the value of helping one another, returning items when you have borrowed them, acts of kindness and thank yous. Don't except these to just be breed into people ,these are taught manners and lots of people fail to have manners. Even non-religious people, I find some of those people, to be more disrespectful, than those who know God.
Quote:
That should tell you something.
It told me....... my dogs were more fun to walk in the woods with!!
Quote:
NO true Scotsman fallacy again, redefining it to suit yourself does not make it so.
Good One!! So, I'm redefining, your not??
Quote:
It is not uncommon to find folk such as yourself saying what you say when someone like me loses their faith. The bible is written as a huge apologetic and allows you to continue in the delusion. Stuff like, no one once they have put their shoulder to the plow looks back, a dog returning to their vomit, unequally yoked, etc. All the excuses for folk like me are written there in black and white.
I'm not here to convince you one way or another. You started a thread and I responded.
Quote:
When someone that was so intimate in the faith walks away, there can only be one explanation, they allowed satan to deceive them. Ask any ex xian, not one of them set out with the goal of losing their faith.
I did mention satan, but he is supposedly, the Angel of Music. I'm not sure that the way music is such an important part of the services that this is not a problem, that the church doesn't see.

Your still alive, life changes day to day. Once a child of God always a child. He's got you covered, even if you walk away.

I'm sure they didn't set out to lose their faith, as I see it, it's a lot harder to have faith, than it is to not believe at all........... II Cor. 5:7 - "we walk by faith, not by sight"
Quote:
However, I will give you this. Even though in SA 75% self identify as xian, in my town, less than 3% attend church regularly. It is a town of 50k+ and there are not enough churches to accommodate them all if they all decided to attend this sunday. Only in the cities where there are mega churches do they have two Sunday morning services and possibly an afternoon one too.
I don't know that there's a requirement to attend church every Sunday. If these people contribute in other ways, which most Christians do, whos to say they must attend church service every week.

I know people who go to other towns to visit other churches. People who vacation and go to churches in the town they are visiting.

feel it's just as important to conduct your self as if every day where Sunday.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh dear!! Another Ron Wyatt fan!!
Ok. Who is 'Ron Wyatt'? I've never heard of him.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Rafius...........What 'relics'? Pieces of pottery? Stones?
Much more than you realize............WOW! Astounding New Biblical Archaeological discoveries
Quote:
The OT also claims that Joshua destroyed Jericho by blowing trumpets but archeology shows that Jericho was destroyed by means of conventional warfare a thousand years before Josh. There wasn't even anyone living there when he was alleged to have been around.
So you see, in order to make the claim that the Bible is true, you have to provide verifiable evidence that that every person in it existed, every place existed and every event happened. I on the other hand need only present you with one single event that didn't happen, one single person that didn't exist and I have proven that the Bible contains things that are not true....as in Josh and Jericho.
There's to much here , but if you read with your attitude set aside..............Jericho: Does the Evidence Disprove or Prove the Bible?
Pottery found by John Garstang in the 1930s in the destruction layer at Jericho (note evidence of burning). This distinctive pottery, decorated with red and black geometric patterns, was in use only in the later part of the 15th century BC, the time of the Israelite Conquest according to Biblical chronology.
Archaeology—subject as it is to archaeologists’ decisions, interpretations and even biases—is admittedly not an exact science. Yet, when viewed objectively, the evidence uncovered at Jericho precisely fits with the Biblical account. Rather than disproving the Bible, when findings from Jericho are correctly interpreted, the exact opposite is the case. In all aspects of the Biblical account that can be verified by archaeology, the evidence from Jericho supports the accuracy of the Bible in every detail.
Quote:
I think you should read something other than 'Answers in Genesis' or mis-information from similar Bible apologist site.
I can say the same for you stop listening to Kathleen Kenyon and her false followers, or people who quote lies of the Bible........from same site as above you can finish reading her lies, below is a little of her lie.

More surprising still, he discovered that Kathleen Kenyon actually had found indigenous pottery that dates precisely to the time of the Biblical conquest of the city, but inexplicably ignored it. She also overlooked the fact that her predecessor, John Garstang, had found painted pottery from the time of the conquest. Egyptian amulets he found at a nearby cemetery also indicated the site was regularly inhabited from several centuries before until right around the Biblically derived date of the city’s fall. Thus there was no occupation gap as she had supposed.
Quote:
Another 'creationist' trying to debunk evolution without knowing anything about it. We did not evolve from apes. We ARE apes.
What exactly do I not know!! Is it that my opinion is different than yours. No need to debunk, there was never anything to debunk in the first place.
Nope, I have no ape qualities, as for you I haven't seen you eat a banana, so I can't tell!!

Quote:
So what? Would you like me to give you a list of famous theists that have become atheists?
You need to ask if Flew changed his mind or did Flew's mind change him. Flew, in his later life, became a little senile. In 2005 a Christian broadcaster had to abandon plans to broadcast an interview with Flew, 'out of respect'. This was because he was incoherent and could not understand the questions.
From what I've read, it seems Flew was taken advantage of and I think it's despicable. It shows the moral depravity of some theists.

If flew was anything in his dotage he was deist. Either way, he didn't believe in your Biblegod.
I'll give you this.......Billy Graham has been asked some questions and if he were asked 50 years ago, the answer would not have been, so, politically correct!!

Just wondering when you say your Biblegod........do you only disrespect Christians this way, or do you refer to all religions leaders, as your muhammadgod or overweight buddhagod???

Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Much more than you realize............WOW! Astounding New Biblical Archaeological discoveries
Bible apologists.

Quote:
Pottery found by John Garstang in the 1930s in the destruction layer at Jericho (note evidence of burning). This distinctive pottery, decorated with red and black geometric patterns, was in use only in the later part of the 15th century BC, the time of the Israelite Conquest according to Biblical chronology.
"Wood has attempted to redate the destruction of Jericho City IV from the end of the Middle Bronze Age (c. 1550 B.C.) to the end of the Late Bronze I (c. 1400 B.C.). He has put forward four lines of argument to support his conclusion. Not a single one of these arguments can stand up to scrutiny. On the contrary, there is strong evidence to confirm Kathleen Kenyon's dating of City IV to the Middle Bronze Age. Wood's attempt to equate the destruction of City IV with the Israelite conquest of Jericho must therefore be rejected."

"The chronology of Jericho is by no means the only problem associated with the traditional biblical chronology of the Exodus and Conquest. For example, even if Wood's chronology of Jericho were viable, the complete absence of fortified habitation at et-Tell (identified by almost all scholars with the biblical Ai) for 1000 years prior to the traditional biblical chronology date for its destruction by Joshua is still left to be explained. And the archaeological and historical data from Egypt must also be explained. These depict Egypt as a stable, properous nation at the very time the traditional biblical chronology date for the Exodus says Egypt should be a nation devastated by plagues."

The foregoing article was abstracted from The Biblical Chronologist Volume 2, Number 3. Full details and references can be found there.

Quote:
Archaeology—subject as it is to archaeologists’ decisions, interpretations and even biases—is admittedly not an exact science. Yet, when viewed objectively, the evidence uncovered at Jericho precisely fits with the Biblical account.
No it doesn't. Please read something that doesn't come from Bible apologists.

Quote:
I can say the same for you stop listening to Kathleen Kenyon and her false followers, or people who quote lies of the Bible........from same site as above you can finish reading her lies, below is a little of her lie.
Kenyon's research is supported by the mass of modern archaeological scholars...as you will see if you ever dare to do some real, unbiased research.

Quote:
What exactly do I not know!! Is it that my opinion is different than yours.
It is not my "opinion" that you are disagreeing with. What you disagree with is modern archaeological scholarship, preferring instead to cite work that was carried out by one man in the 1930's.

Quote:
No need to debunk, there was never anything to debunk in the first place.
Nope, I have no ape qualities, as for you I haven't seen you eat a banana, so I can't tell!!
You are an ape whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Just wondering when you say your Biblegod........do you only disrespect Christians this way, ....
I have no respect for the religious beliefs of Christians, nor Muslims, nor Hindu's. Beliefs, religious or otherwise command no automatic respect.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Been seeing much ado about the bible being true cause the bible says so and because there are soo many prophesies fulfilled, what about the failed prophesies.

Here is a list of 206 failed prophesies

A short list to whet the appetite.
Before we begin, try to remember this: If you do not understand what you read, it is not the fault of the book nor its writers.
Quote:
1. "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
God says that if Adam eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, then the day that he does so, he will die. But later Adam eats the forbidden fruit (3:6) and yet lives for another 930 years (5:5). 2:17
Your answer: In God’s eyes, Adam did no live one whole day:
“For a thousand years are in your eyes but as yesterday when it is past, And as a watch during the night.” (Psalm 90:4)
“For the thoughts of YOU people are not my thoughts, nor are my ways YOUR ways,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than YOUR ways, and my thoughts than YOUR thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9)
Quote:
2. As a punishment for killing Abel, God says Cain will be "a fugitive and a vagabond." Yet in just a few verses (4:16-17) Cain will settle down, marry, have a son, and build a city. This is not the activity one would expect from a fugitive and a vagabond. 4:12
A vagabond is a wanderer or nomad. This is a way of life for a very large number of people. If he has a lot of money, how should a fugitive and a vagabond live? Who sets the rules for him? Cain’s “building a city” does not mean that he stayed or was confined there.
Roman Polanski was quite free to do as he pleased in Europe for 30 years, and still fits the picture of fugitive and vagabond.
(“Young Roman managed to escape the ghetto and learned to survive wandering through the Polish countryside and living with the different Catholic families.” Roman Polanski - Biography) Yet, do you live better than he does?
This is just an argument and does not prove Biblical errancy.
Quote:
3. God promises Abram and his descendants all of the land of Canaan. But both history and the bible (Acts 7:5 and Heb.11:13) show that God's promise to Abram was not fulfilled. 13:15, 15:18, 17:8, 28:13-14
Jehovah made a PROMISE (not a prophecy) to Abraham, a promise that included his descendants. “Jehovah our God spoke to us in Ho′reb, saying, ‘YOU have dwelt long enough in this mountainous region. Turn and set out on YOUR way and go into the mountainous region of the Am′or·ites and to all their neighbors in the Ar′a·bah, the mountainous region and the She·phe′lah and the Neg′eb and the seacoast, the land of the Ca′naan·ites, and Leb′a·non, up to the great river, the river Eu·phra′tes. See, I do put the land before YOU people. Go in and take possession of the land about which Jehovah swore to YOUR fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give it to them and their seed after them.’” (Deuteronomy 1:6-8)

“On that day Jehovah concluded with A′bram a covenant, saying: “To your seed I will give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Eu·phra′tes:” (Genesis 15:18)
That promise was kept to the letter. Israel occupied all the territory between the Nile and the Euphrates rivers.
Quote:
4. How long was the Egyptian captivity? This verse says 400 years, but Ex.12:40 and Gal.3:17 say 430 years. 15:13
Your answer: Genesis 15:13 does not mention the Egyptian captivity.
Note:
“And he began to say to A′bram: “You may know for sure that your seed will become an alien resident in a land not theirs, and they will have to serve them, and these will certainly afflict them for four hundred years.” (Genesis 15:13)
They were not afflicted during their entire sojourn in Egypt.
Note:
“Thus Joseph had his father and his brothers dwell and he gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the very best of the land, in the land of Ram′e·ses, just as Phar′aoh had commanded. 12 And Joseph kept supplying his father and his brothers and the entire household of his father with bread, according to the number of the little ones.” (Genesis 47:11-12)
“And Israel continued to dwell in the land of Egypt, in the land of Go′shen; and they became settled in it and were fruitful and grew to be very many.” (Genesis 47:27)

There is no indication here of any affliction. That came later.
Note:
“In time there arose over Egypt a new king who did not know Joseph. 9 And he proceeded to say to his people: “Look! The people of the sons of Israel are more numerous and mightier than we are. 10 Come on! Let us deal shrewdly with them, for fear they may multiply, and it must turn out that, in case war should befall us, then they certainly will also be added to those who hate us and will fight against us and go up out of the country.” 11 So they set over them chiefs of forced labor for the purpose of oppressing them in their burden-bearing; and they went building cities as storage places for Phar′aoh, namely, Pi′thom and Ra·am′ses. 12 But the more they would oppress them, the more they would multiply and the more they kept spreading abroad, so that they felt a sickening dread as a result of the sons of Israel. 13 Consequently the Egyptians made the sons of Israel slave under tyranny. 14 And they kept making their life bitter with hard slavery at clay mortar and bricks and with every form of slavery in the field, yes, every form of slavery of theirs in which they used them as slaves under tyranny.” (Exodus 1:8-14)

“. . .And the dwelling of the sons of Israel, who had dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years. And it came about at the end of the four hundred and thirty years, it even came about on this very day that all the armies of Jehovah went out of the land of Egypt.” (Exodus 12:40-41)
“Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. It says, not: “And to seeds,” as in the case of many such, but as in the case of one: “And to your seed,” who is Christ. 17 Further, I say this: As to the covenant previously validated by God, the Law that has come into being four hundred and thirty years later does not invalidate it, so as to abolish the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is due to law, it is no longer due to promise; whereas God has kindly given it to Abraham through a promise.” (Galatians 3:16-18)

Sam adds, “and their fathers.” “Who had dwelt.” In Heb. this verb is pl. The relative pronoun ’asher′, “who,” can apply to the “sons of Israel” rather than to the “dwelling.” LXX, “But the dwelling of the sons of Israel which they [LXXA adds “and their fathers”] dwelt in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan [was] four hundred and thirty years long”; Sam, “in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt.” Likewise Josephus wrote in Jewish Antiquities, Book II, chapter 15, ¶2: “They left Egypt in the month of Xanthicus [the Macedonian month equated by Josephus with the month Nisan], on the fifteenth by lunar reckoning, 430 years after the coming of our forefather Abraham to Canaan.” (Loeb Classical Library, by H. Thackeray, 1967, p. 305) The sons of Israel went out of the land of Egypt on the 15th day of the first month. See Ex 12:37; Nu 33:3, 5. Sam LXX and Josephus show that the 430 years are counted from the time Abraham entered the land of Canaan until the time the Israelites went out of Egypt. (Insight vol. 1 p.29)
Quote:
5. "In the fourth generation they [Abraham's descendants] shall come hither again." But, if we count Abraham, then their return occurred after seven generations: Abraham, Isaac (Gen.21:1-3), Jacob (Gen.25:19-26), Levi (Gen.35:22-23), Kohath (Ex.6:16), Amramn (Ex.6:18), and Moses (Ex.6:20). 15:16
If you are discussing Abraham’s descendants, born in captivity why count Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? THEY were never captives in Egypt. The 4 generations are correct and can be counted from 2 separate directions:
(1) Levi, (2) Kohath, (3) Amram, (4) Moses or (1) (1) Judah, (2) Perez, (3) Hezron, (4) Caleb.
These were the 4 generations BORN in Egypt.
Quote:
6. God promises Abram's descendants the land of Canaan from the Nile to the Euphrates. But according to Acts 7:5 and Heb.11:13 God's promise to Abram was not fulfilled. 15:18
Your answer: This question is a duplicate of # 3.
Quote:
7. God promises to make Isaac's descendants as numerous as "the stars of heaven", which, of course, never happened. The Jews have always been, and will always be, a small minority. 26:4
You have taken this phrase literally, even though you fault Bible believers for doing so on occasion.
“In addressing man, God used the stars to denote a countless number, comparable to the grains of sand on the seashore.
“I shall surely bless you and I shall surely multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand that are on the seashore; and your seed will take possession of the gate of his enemies.”(Ge 22:17)
“He now brought him outside and said: “Look up, please, to the heavens and count the stars, if you are possibly able to count them.” And he went on to say to him: “So your seed will become.” (Ge. 15:5;
Ex 32:13; compare Ne 9:23; Na 3:15, 16; Heb 11:12.)

Since the stars clearly discernible to the unaided eye number only a few thousand, this comparison was viewed by many in the past as out of balance. Yet today the evidence shows that the number of stars does indeed compare to all the grains of sand in all the earth.
It is of interest to note that, while Moses spoke of Israel as having seen a certain fulfillment of this Abrahamic promise, the censuses taken of the population, as recorded in the Bible, never did include the total number in the nation. (De 1:10; 10:22; 28:62)
David is mentioned later as specifically refraining from taking the number of those “from twenty years of age and under, because Jehovah had promised to make Israel as many as the stars of the heavens.” (1Ch 27:23) Such concept of the innumerableness of these heavenly bodies distinguishes the Bible writings as unique when compared with contemporary views of ancient peoples.” (Insight vol. 2 p. 1032)
Quote:
8. God renames Jacob twice (32:28, 35:10 ). God says that Jacob will henceforth be called Israel, but the Bible continues to call him Jacob anyway (47:28-29). And even God himself calls him Jacob in 46:2. 32:28, 35:10
Your answer:
So what? What prophecy or promise was unfulfilled?
The name Jacob has been used repeatedly in the Bible to refer to the entire nation of Israel. E.g.
“He is telling his word to Jacob, His regulations and his judicial decisions to Israel. He has not done that way to any other nation; And as for [his] judicial decisions, they have not known them..” (Psalm 147:19-20)
Quote:
9. God calls Jacob Jacob, though he said in Gen.32:28 and 35:10 that he would no longer be called Jacob but Israel. 46:2.
This question is a duplicate of # 8
Quote:
10. God promises to bring Jacob safely back from Egypt, but Jacob dies in Egypt (Gen.47:28-29) 46:3
He did - in that the entire nation of Israel was quite often referred to as “Jacob.”
The prophets often used “Jacob” in a figurative sense, with reference to the nation descended from the patriarch. (Isa 9:8; 27:9; Jer 10:25; Eze 39:25; Am 6:8; Mic 1:5; Ro 11:26)
Jesus, on one occasion, used the name Jacob figuratively when speaking of those who would be “in the kingdom of the heavens.”—Mt 8:11.

Strange - I do not see any unfulfilled promises or prophecies - do you?
When you read the Bible, try to remember this:
If you do not understand what you read, it is not the fault of the book nor its writers.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality