Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 06:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
We are at the end times of a life cycle.
OK, granted, man's time on this little rock is limited. Man's utter stupidity may be the catalyst that destroys us, but the catalyst to that posibility is religion.

If we can discard religion for what it is, merely a superstition, and nothing to base anything on, we might survive the for a while yet. No other influence on humankind has the level of irrational agenda as religion.

No god is going to end our time on this rock, yet the fantasy of a god is probably the most likely to shorten our stay, how utterly stupid to allow the fantasy to destroy all of mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM

591 posts, read 641,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
IGNORANCE IS NOT-KNOWING,and what did Jesus say to God on the cross about the ignorant,''forgive them lord'',now does that sound like a God that will torture people forever,the answer is so easy and simple its staring you in the face.

BTW,im not an atheist,i beleive whole heartidly that God exist's,that He is unlimited within His energy's and His expansions,all-powerfull,omnipotent,omnipresent,the freind of all living entity's,the best well-wisher,full in all opulences and power,the embodiement of truth ,joy and consioussness and the personification of pure transcendental love,and that we are the parts and He is the whole,our very souls and nature are originally of the same devine energy as God's,in quality but not quantity and that since we are eternal beings originating from God and His Supreme abode,that in time,after many,many births on the material platform,where we live out our desires and karma,that we will return home,back to Godhead.

anyway since were talkin about ignorance,you tottaly ignored my question,

if God is responsible for life itself,and kn owing fully well the outcome of each individuals life,why has He set up a system that ultimitly brings everyone into eternal destruction?,imagine you were doing an experiment,lets say creating life,and then you knew that this life you were creating was goin to cause nothing but suffering forever for most of it,would you go ahead and create it,or would you think it was better not to create such suffering,well your saying that God,who has more intellihgence than the universe put together has created a system that leads to eternal destruction for almost all of man-kind.

what day does the bible say hell was created?
The suffering comes from your own Karma originated from believing that there is not a God who cares. He created the Heavens and earth, ask him why he creates all life that must experience death. Jesus is God's way of showing to us how to defeat death. But if you don't listen, then what?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
OK, granted, man's time on this little rock is limited. Man's utter stupidity may be the catalyst that destroys us, but the catalyst to that posibility is religion.

If we can discard religion for what it is, merely a superstition, and nothing to base anything on, we might survive the for a while yet. No other influence on humankind has the level of irrational agenda as religion.

No god is going to end our time on this rock, yet the fantasy of a god is probably the most likely to shorten our stay, how utterly stupid to allow the fantasy to destroy all of mankind.
Christianity is irrational? You want to talk about irrational, what about crucifying someone because all they did was speak the truth and love you?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Christianity is irrational? You want to talk about irrational, what about crucifying someone because all they did was speak the truth and love you?
That happens all the time.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Any critical look at the true, unbiased historical origins of The Bible, Jesus and Christianity is more than enough proof for anyone with a rational, objective mind.
Are you referring to the sort of arguements put forth since 1750 or something new?

All I find on the internet is the same old, same old. Most of which is laughable. Like the idea that the book of John was written centuries after Jesus, when in fact we have manuscripts that date to around 100AD of said book. Plus the early second century writtings of the church fathers which reference the gospels. How could that be if the Gospels were written "centuries" after the death of Jesus.

"Rational, objective mind". I think I haver heard that term before. Used by atheists as a self description? Objective? Hardly. Subjective, certainly.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
That happens all the time.
Really? I thought such practices died out c.400AD

Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Any critical look at the true, unbiased historical origins of The Bible, Jesus and Christianity is more than enough proof for anyone with a rational, objective mind.

Combine the info with the living Spirit guiding us to it all, and it is absolutely undeniable. The Holy Spirit has strengthened my faith in all kinds of ways.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think it likely is because most people here live in majority Christian nations and Christianity, unlike Judaism, is an evangelizing/universalizing faith.

Still the venom at times does take me a back. Before I came to City-Data many to most atheists I encountered viewed Christianity roughly the way I'd view Hinduism or Shinto or Islam or something. That it is deficient and has some disagreeable ideas, but that's it's not inherently bad or insincere. So they might be a bit condescending and irreverent, but not outright hostile.

I think that's because they were relatively sensible people. They likely knew that when you're the minority being hostile to the majority, even if that majority did actually mistreat you, is not really a wise move. In America blacks could have decided to take up arms against the whites, and some did or considered it, or just devoted themselves to denouncing the white man as lying jerks. Many did those things, but I think the majority found that immoral or just realized that it was tactically unwise. The atheist situation is even more that way as, in the US, they're a smaller minority than blacks. They're also not that way by birth, but by choice. (I know I know, but at best we're "all born atheist" in the way we're all born illiterate and incontinent.)

So the atheist situation is more like sexually-active gays I suppose. There are certainly many "militant gays" but even the most militant don't argue that heterosexuality is a sham or that the world would be better if we were all gay. The only minority groups I can think of that come close to the universalizing atheist (the notion atheism is universally correct and all can/should be atheist) belief that they are right and that people should throw off their "delusions" is Radical Islam and Traditionalist Catholicism. (Fundamentalist Christianity is different in that it's generally not as much about others being deluded or "in error" as them being immoral or damned) And like those two things they are often intellectually brilliant and strangely seductive. That might sound like a weird thing to say about Radical Islam, but they have some very intellectually impressive people and although freaky Sayd Qutb had some interesting observations on modern alienation. And so does universalizing atheism and Traditionalist Catholicism. All three are confronting their society and castigating their real or imagined enemies. Of the three Radical Islam is the only one that's actually violent. As irritated as I can get by them I'd agree SSPX people or the "universalizing atheists" you get here are basically harmless eccentrics or marginal people. In a nation more sympathetic to them (like maybe Brazil or the Philippines for the SSPX or for the UAs the UK or France) they might be a bit more worrisome as a force for intolerance and repression, but even then I think it's limited really so likely not worth getting that upset about.

I'm likely rambling a bit as I have not had supper, but I hope some of this was of interest even if it is largely repetitions of a theme.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
irrational –adjective 1. without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
2. without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
3. not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.

Yes, christianity is irrational, based solely on a fable or urban legend. To give any credence to characters of this fable is irrational. Your jesus loves no one, for the simple reason he is a fictional character staring in the story line of your book of fables.

But let's assume some guy, perhaps even named Jesus, born of a common man and woman, was executed about 2000 years ago. He is just one of 10's of thousands of men and women wrongly executed including some in modern day system in this country.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
Quote:
The suffering comes from your own Karma originated from believing that there is not a God who cares. He created the Heavens and earth, ask him why he creates all life that must experience death. Jesus is God's way of showing to us how to defeat death. But if you don't listen, then what?
were not talking about death here,that happens to us all,were talkin about eternal torment as punishment for beng ignorant???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality