Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,554,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Oh and BTW, I threaten with grounding, NOT ETERNAL DAMNATION AND PAIN. Only sadistic pigs do that.

It's still a threat which evokes emotions of fear, or at least apprehension, in your kids.

What's the difference in you doing it and God doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Science is not faith,
Science may not be faith, but people have faith in science, do they not?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Church? Why would I go to a church, to pretend to worship something I know is non-existent?

Christians don't think they follow, very little intelligence required. To not blindly follow, to make decisions based on fact requires much more than to just blindly tag along with the crowd. I don't subscribe to the herd mentality.

I'm sorry you've run across that kind of Christian. They certainly don't represent us all, so please don't paint us all with that broad a brush.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's still a threat which evokes emotions of fear, or at least apprehension, in your kids.

What's the difference in you doing it and God doing it?
Huge difference in the punishment one will only irritate for a little while, the other is for eternity and will cause anguish. I love my kids and would never harm them or want them in harms way, violence gets you no where. She I want my kids to respect me, not fear me. Unlike your god, who will punish you to eternal damnation for simply not worshiping him or taking his name is vain..

Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,684,342 times
Quote:
No I don't have faith in science, I know science works no faith involved. Science is based on fact tested evidence and observence, faith and fact don't seem to intermix.
Faith definition:

a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,878,952 times
Quote:
Nor will I begin another "Is there a God or is there ain't?" discussion because, in the end, I can no more prove God exists than you can prove He doesn't.
Ummmm, you said ..."the preponderance of the evidence indicates He's real"

So then produce your preponderance of evidence. If it is actual evidence and not your personal faith there will be nothing for us to argue with.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,878,952 times
Quote:
There's a constant tension on these boards about believers that you just don't find over on the Christianity boards.

Why is that?
You're obviously not reading the posts over there.

Quote:
You're making the assumption that because I profess a faith in God I'm some sort of unthinking, uncritical moron...
Hold up there. You said that there was a "preponderance of evidence". If there was a preponderance of evidence then you wouldn't need faith would you? Evidence negates the need for faith.

Quote:
Nor will I begin another "Is there a God or is there ain't?" discussion because, in the end, I can no more prove God exists than you can prove He doesn't.
Not even with your preponderance of evidence??

Quote:
No they do not. People accept the evidence of science because it can be tested, is objective and can be verified. No faith necessary.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Huge difference in the punishment one will only irritate for a little while, the other is for eternity and will cause anguish. I love my kids and would never harm them or want them in harms way, violence gets you no where. She I want my kids to respect me, not fear me. Unlike your god, who will punish you to eternal damnation for simply not worshiping him or taking his name is vain..
So, it's not the threat or fear which is important, but the punishment threatened? The punishment is justified, but the threat of it isn't? That's a novel outlook!

That's saying it's wrong of me to threaten my kids, unless the punishment is mild. If the punishment is mild enough, any threat is acceptable! Wow, what a position that puts my kids into!

But, no, God won't punish anyone for simply not worshipping Him, nor for taking His name in vain. He will only punish those who do not accept his Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Those who do not accept Him will suffer the punishment for all those other things simply because they have rejected Christ's payment of their debt owed to God for their misbehaviors. It's not their sins which will consign them to the outer darkness, but their willing refusal of Christ.

The point is that nobody will go to hell against their will. Or, to heaven.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No I don't have faith in science, I know science works no faith involved. Science is based on fact tested evidence and observence, faith and fact don't seem to intermix.
Faith definition:

a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Does science work every time? Is it always right? Has it always BEEN right? Has there never been a failure of science to explain something or predict future outcomes?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,204,554 times
God makes his presence known - every time a bomb drops upon a civilian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality