Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,551,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How do you know light isn't just the absence of darkness?
Either way, it's one without the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,580,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Either way, it's one without the other.

Or, neither without the other.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,599,613 times
Quote:

You're point is?
A practitioner of deliberate ignorance ?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,227,655 times
Quote:
How can you be "born" an atheist? That's like saying I was "born" a Christian! Belief in one thing or another isn't a matter of genetics, is it?
What do you mean, "how"? Everyone is born without a belief in gods (atheist)! You have to be taught about gods to become a believer.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,551,539 times
Quote:
Or, neither without the other.
That's ridiculous. If you could go to the core of the Sun you would see very quickly that light can exist without darkness.

Anyway, yours is a philosophical position. Ours is a physical position.

Fact: where there is light there is no darkness.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,267,324 times
Quote:
How do you know light isn't just the absence of darkness?
Are you being intentionally ignorant?...What I said is obvious. As in black is the absence of color.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM

591 posts, read 643,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I posed this to another poster in another thread and got nothing but a sarcastic "what do you want,Jesus to come hold your hand?Sounds like a personal problem to me" response.Hopefully an adult will do better.

This isn't about bashing God.I am not an atheist.I am simply asking,if we are required to believe in and worship God,why doesn't He make His presence undeniable?Seems like a reasonable proposition.You require worship and belief,make your presence beyond doubt.

I'll deal with 2 possible answers and get them out of the way now so we can deal with the others and not waste time on ones that don't answer the question.

First,He is not beyond doubt,and the atheists just stubbornly refuse to admit it.Nobody doubts obvious things.Nobody denies the existence of the Sun,the moon,gravity,inertia,etc.Obvious things are.......obvious.Since many people don't believe in God on the basis there is no proof,to claim that He is obvious beyond doubt is silly.

Second,the appeal to nature.The "just look at a flowers or the stars" argument.Evolution has shown that these things evolved into being.Whether or not God is the spark at the very beginning is irrelevant to this question,since the question is the obviousness of God.God starting the spark that created the universe billions of years ago is not making Himself obvious today.

So,any better answers than the one I got from the other poster?Why need faith that God exists?Why not solid evidence that precludes needing faith in things unseen?

God is in Heaven. That is where Jesus rules from. You need to be enlightened to the boundlessness of the spirit to recieve the visions and hear his voice. It helps when you stand up for Jesus. All of God's prophets and kings were very close to God because they stood up for God and became a voice for him. God became a LOT more close to me when I absorbed and created the deity of the Rider and faught for Jesus. God speaks to me every day.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,903,524 times
Quote:
Yes, but why?
Why does there have to be a "Why".

Quote:
Even Darwin didn't claim we came from apes.
That's because we don't come from apes. Evolution doesn't say we come from apes. We ARE apes.

Quote:
How can you be "born" an atheist?
You know fella...that ^^ strongly indicates to me that you don't even know what atheism is. Let me help you out here. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. When I was born, I had no knowledge of gods and therefore, no belief in them. You were the same and so was every single person that has ever been born. We were all atheist at one time. As another poster has pointed out to you, god belief has to be learnt because when we are born, we are all atheist.

Quote:
No, I haven't. I've offered a couple of tidbits, but I must ask just how much evidence do you want?
Very little actually. All I ask is that the evidence you can give is testable, verifiable and objective. If it isn't, then it's FAITH.

Quote:
If you're looking for something conclusive, something iron-clad, something which can be replicated in a test tube, I don't have it.
At last! Nice to see you admit that you don't have any actual evidence, despite your previous claims that there is a "preponderance of evidence".

Quote:
Neither do you.
About what??

Quote:
The evidence I've offered is available to everyone.
What evidence. You just admitted that you didn't have any.

Quote:
I would, however, ask you the same implied question: Have you looked for evidence that you're wrong, ...
Of course I have and I haven't found any, not even one tiny smidgen of it. I have Christian friends that say they keep praying that their god will "open my eyes" but nothing has happened. I have read many of the worlds holy books, still nothing. That's why I've remained atheist for 61 years.....because all the objective evidence points to the non-existence of gods.

History shows us CONCLUSIVELY that in the past, humans have believed in many gods, thousands of them and yet every single one of them, without exception, have now taken their place on the dusty shelves of mythology. There was many a Roman or Greek that believed in their god just as fervently as you believed in yours. Where are those gods now? Gone! Gone in just the same way that the present Biblegod will go.

Quote:
Yet, when I can't explain why God does what He does, "I don't know" isn't good enough for me?
No! No! I'm more than happy for you to say 'I don't know'. What I'm not happy with is saying 'I don't know' but then claiming that what you don't know is "truth". See what I'm getting at?

Quote:
Oh, please! I'm surprised, though, that you have such little curiosity about WHY life exists. One would think that question alone strikes to the very heart of whether or not there is God, which is fundamental to both Christianity and Atheism and would be worthy of consideration to a person of intellect.
Well there are many things for which I don't have an answer of 'why', like...'Why does the gas bottle always run out when I'm having a shower but not when I'm washing the dishes', or 'Why do people drive in the middle lane on a motorway when the inside lane is empty', but the answers to those things don't affect my life.

Quote:
Yes, they do, but that's not the issue. The issue is why some things evolved into life forms and others didn't? For instance, why are there living trees and non-living rocks?
( Did he really just say that?? )

Because the only things that evolve are things that are 'alive'. When was the last time you saw a living rock?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
What do you mean, "how"? Everyone is born without a belief in gods (atheist)! You have to be taught about gods to become a believer.

I would disagree with that. Even the most primative cultures, then and now, worship some kind of God. The search for something outside themselves to explain things seems universal to me. If we have to be taught about God, who taught the first believer?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you being intentionally ignorant?...What I said is obvious. As in black is the absence of color.

No, I was just drifting off into philosophical musings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality