Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,693,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, but why?

Yes, but there's still no answer to why, is there?

Were Meteorites the Origin of Life on Earth?: Scientific American

Even Darwin didn't claim we came from apes. I don't know where that came from. Granted, it's been awhile since I read "Origin of the Species," (have you read it?), but I recall he suggested that all life forms on earth, including humans, came from probably no more than 3 or 4 original life forms. But, he offered no evidence as to WHY those 3 or 4 species suddenly became living organisms, at least as I remember. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
We have just discovered the Meteors and DNA connection, given time it will come to light.

Early Theories of Evolution: Darwin and Natural Selection

It is On The origin of species.

From the time that Charles Darwin published "On the Origin of Species" in 1859 on up to the present, the presumptions of many people led them to misread the title. They assumed that it was "On the Origin of the Species". The implication of inadvertently adding "the" is that his book was about human evolution. In fact, that was not the case, though it had implications for human evolution. It focused on non-human animals and the mechanisms of evolution. He did not pointedly address the question of human evolution until the publication of his 1871 book "Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex".

And with discoveries made since Darwins time, we have grown well past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,568,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No. I've never believed to begin with. I was born atheist and remained so. There was no discovery to make.
How can you be "born" an atheist? That's like saying I was "born" a Christian! Belief in one thing or another isn't a matter of genetics, is it?

Quote:
You keep saying there is "evidence" yet, despite myself and others asking you to provide it, you have failed to do so.
No, I haven't. I've offered a couple of tidbits, but I must ask just how much evidence do you want? If you're looking for something conclusive, something iron-clad, something which can be replicated in a test tube, I don't have it. Neither do you.

Quote:
So it isn't actually "evidence " after all. It's your personal feelings...faith in other words. See, the good thing about evidence is that it's available to everyone. The fact that you have to go searching through your life to find it is very telling.
The evidence I've offered is available to everyone. (I'm actually discussing this identical issue with two different people, so you'll have to read all my posts.)

Your second comment seems to presume I've spent a life time searching for evidence to substantiate a previously held position. You may think that if you will, but it's not so. Of course, I can't "prove" that too you, so you'll either have to accept my open-mindedness or reject it at your pleasure.

I would, however, ask you the same implied question: Have you looked for evidence that you're wrong, or that you're right?

Quote:
I have no idea where life came from and neither do you or anyone else. Nor is it important to me that I know. I can quite happily live with 'I don't know'
Yet, when I can't explain why God does what He does, "I don't know" isn't good enough for me? Oh, please! I'm surprised, though, that you have such little curiosity about WHY life exists. One would think that question alone strikes to the very heart of whether or not there is God, which is fundamental to both Christianity and Atheism and would be worthy of consideration to a person of intellect.

Your other, intervening comments were merely argumentative and I don't want to go there.

Quote:
ALL life forms evolve.
Yes, they do, but that's not the issue. The issue is why some things evolved into life forms and others didn't? For instance, why are there living trees and non-living rocks? Why aren't both living? Why one and not the other? Why aren't both non-living?

Quote:
It does and you just have.
No, I haven't. You've made no effort to explain the why and have only referenced outward appearances, as I did.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,040,369 times
Quote:
So do I, but there are far more threads started to debunk Christianity or to ridicule Christian's than there are the other way around. Just take a look at what's running right now for evidence.

Why is that? Who's afraid of whom?
What are you talking about?

As someone once said:
Quote:
Can you quantify that statement, or is it just your opinion?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No not a tyrant!!!! Don't even compare us, I am not evil. I teach not demand with the threats.
Yet, you won't allow God the same perogative?

Quote:
Would I kill my kid, no, I would take advantage of the situation and try to disarm him first, only kill if absolutely no other way, unlike your god.
So, you would kill your beloved child under the right circumstances.

Quote:
But then again, when did all those innocent people and babies and animals try to kill god?
Nobody said they did.

Quote:
Yet he had them killed. Would you kill your child for turning away from you and leaving you?
Wait. I thought your position revolved around punishing them with eternal fire and damnation, not death. Are we moving the goal posts?

Quote:
Would you continue to punish your grandkids and there kids and so on for the mis-deads of your first kids?
God does that? Show me.

Quote:
He doesn't want us to question, that is why we are punished for eternity if we do.
Show me.

Quote:
Faith is blind, nothing more than ignorance to it. Gods words, that is what the bible is suppose to be yet it is wrong about so many things and full of contradictions, clearly god couldn't get it right.
See my the link to my explanation of faith somewhere above.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Deliberate ignorance is dangerous to society. The proof is easily found in our society. Laws that discriminate against others exist solely due to the practice of deliberate ignorance.

You're point is?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yet, you won't allow God the same perogative?

God doesnt teach he demands then punishes

So, you would kill your beloved child under the right circumstances.

If i had too, god didnt have to nor did he have to kill all the innocent babies, animals or people of the world that didnt even know about him. No comparison to being physically attacked with death imminent and your child misbehaving so you wipe out the world.

Nobody said they did.

Kinda sadistic to kill for the hell of it.

Wait. I thought your position revolved around punishing them with eternal fire and damnation, not death. Are we moving the goal posts?

Just part of the position, he killed innocent people for not knowing about him.

God does that? Show me.

he punishes us and all future kids based on what adam and eve did.

Show me.

See my the link to my explanation of faith somewhere above.
I already read where you think faith helps you correct the boo boos in the bible, that says nothing more than faith is blind.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you don't prove science right by proving the Bible is "wrong."

Seriously did you just say that. Science has already proven these points!!!!! The bible is wrong because the science has already proved it wrong. The evidence and testing did the bible in. This just gave me a headache, I will have to leave you to the resident scientists.

Last edited by Nea1; 04-27-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
nothing lucky about a bomb
There is EVERYTHING lucky about a bomb strike!

Have you ever been under bombardment? I have, many times, and can tell you without fear of contradiction from anyone who has BTDT that whether or not you are hit is very much a case of luck or fate or destiny or the "hand of God" or whatever you want to call it.

If it's not anything else, death on the battlefield is strikingly capricious.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
There is EVERYTHING lucky about a bomb strike!

Have you ever been under bombardment? I have, many times, and can tell you without fear of contradiction from anyone who has BTDT that whether or not you are hit is very much a case of luck or fate or destiny or the "hand of God" or whatever you want to call it.

If it's not anything else, death on the battlefield is strikingly capricious.
Tell that to the people who died or maimed. It is only by luck you survive, so no not everything about a bombing is lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality