Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
[color=black]Atheism is about not being convinced by the claim there is a god.

The above definition/statement is valid only with atheists who did not bother to educate themselves in religious matters.
That is the kind of rhetoric we are used to hearing from theists actually. The fault is never with them being entirely unable to substantiate their views at all. The problem is always with atheists failing to educate themselves correctly or failing to recognize the evidence or failing to confront their own biases against the evidence. Or some other canard based on faulting the mark with not buying what the charlatan is shoveling.

I have spent so long studying the subject of religion from many angles now that I simply do not buy the "You have not educated yourself" mantra regardless of whether it is leveled at me from an atheist or a theist. If one feels I need to educate myself further then perhaps rather than simply declaring this one might instead adumbrate how and where I need to do so.

I certainly see no reason to elevate the pope to any kind of god status. He is just the CEO of an organisation that trades in lies and outdated morality. No different to the CEO in any organisation that trades in a good or service or some such product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Not at all. The material you had to work with was poor from square 1. There simply is nothing well thought out in there. It is just fanciful notions, plucked from nowhere, using sciencey sounding words to make it sound scientific in the style of Deepak Chopra.
Because I have debated long with Mystic about his theory (though very often I needed to get an explanation from somewhere else as I rarely got anything from him but an insistence that I take his claims at face value and snarling and contempt if I queried it) I have come to realise that he has put a lot of thought into it from the philosophical and scientific point of view. It is the same thing as I/D - getting a faith based idea and dressing it up with science stuff and I don't see any reason to regard it as more than an unproven theory, but it is better thought out than the usual stuff we get from theists in Lab coats.

As I say, if my summary omits the thought he has put into it, that's my fault. If by summary makes it sound like Deepak Chopra's tosh, that's probably reflecting my take on it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-05-2012 at 02:26 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Atheism is about not being convinced by the claim there is a god.

The above definition/statement is valid only with atheists who did not bother to educate themselves in religious matters.

I am an atheist and I believe that the true god is the Pope. He is the last one in a long line of men who claimed, admitted (the Pharaohs, Alexander, Caesar) or were recognized as immaterial gods post mortem (Jesus, hosts of Saints, George Washington).

The belief in the existence of the soul is the fruit of a theological theory. Did you ever read any paper informing scholars about the author of the theory?
There is no such paper because the story of the conception of the idea of the soul theory is ridiculous. The idea was produced by mistake: they misunderstood the meaning of a word!

How did the idea of the immaterial gods came to be? They believed a joke told about gods (the true, earthly gods of the past)!!

“Soul” is actually a devoid of meaning word and “God” is the product of a joke.

So, now, you know how an atheist thinks. He does not even deign to busy himself with the claim that there is an immaterial heavenly god. Gods are the popes and the patriarchs and kings.
I know how tricky it is to get a theory over in even one paragraph when it requires an essay to explain it in detail.

You won't be surprised to learn that I have become increasingly bewildered with trying to understand just what you are arguing and what your theory is.

Mystic has posted his 'Synthesis' and I posted my Gospel and Paul theory. I suppose if you have worked this theory of yours out that you would be able to post it so that we could actually see what it was about and whether it amounts to anything more than (remarkably similar to Mystic's Viking helicopters) attempts to play the Mythology as Alien technology card, well overplayed in UFO-prehistory-logy.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-05-2012 at 02:17 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM

No his own words do it as much as your own summary and you are not to blame. I have tried to find what in his ramblings could be described as well through out or researched and I simply can not find it. He has invested no small amount of time in learning off some sciencey terms which were later misused and warped. Aside from that however I am not seeing much at all of note there that is in any way well researched or credible. This becomes even more clear when people well versed in Science such as myself but even more so such as Morbert engage with him and throw light on just how false the "science" is.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 AM

526 posts, read 692,488 times
Quote:
I certainly see no reason to elevate the pope to any kind of god status.
That is because you never bothered to establish what “god status” meant in the various historical and pre-historical periods.

Strabo was calling Caesar “the god Caesar.” Do you think he was considering Caesar some sort of immaterial ghostly being?
In the oldest texts of humanity the gods are called “aristocrats” and “patricians.”
Gods were considering themselves, and obliged others to consider them, the cream of humanity. They established the first social system (slavery, racism, fascism) and from “keepers” of humanity (Shepherds of human flocks) they became their first kings.

You only have to read!

P.S. I am neither theist nor atheist, I am an anti-theist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I know how tricky it is to get a theory over in even one paragraph when it requires an essay to explain it in detail.

How are you my dear friend?
Do not complain, please! You have the address of my blog. Go ahead and comment on my theory about “Great Mother.”

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
How are you my dear friend?
Do not complain, please! You have the address of my blog. Go ahead and comment on my theory about “Great Mother.”
Never better, but the dogs are driving me mad. I was suggesting rather that you post your theory here. Somewhere, or give a link. But then of cpourse, you might get a lot of feedback (read 'Flak')

Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
[color=black]That is because you never bothered to establish what “god status” meant
False. I am well aware of what you refer to. I just do not see it as a useful application of the word. He is a man and effectively a CEO and little more. Throwing terms like "God" around at him serves very little use and that is before you factor in the added confusion of using a definition of the term that is no longer current.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but after 10 minutes of studying your post, I have to disagree. There is evidence of God, but some refuse to accept it.

Logically everything has a cause. It is illogical to say the universe "just came to be".

And no, people didn't just invent the spiritual world.
Then, please, do present this "evidence of god" - I'm interested.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then, please, do present this "evidence of god" - I'm interested.
I have sent out for popcorn. In the meantime, I note that Mr 5o50 talks of evidence of God and chielgrl talks of 'evidence of god'

We may need to agree what particular entity is under discussion.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM

526 posts, read 692,488 times
Quote:
Throwing terms like "God" around at him serves very little use and that is before you factor in the added confusion of using a definition of the term that is no longer current.
The point is which definition is correct. Not which is no longer current and which is.

The representatives of the God are his messengers, aren't they? The messengers of the God are the angels!
Would you rather have him called an angel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality