Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Why are Africans tend to be more religious than westerners? It seems just about every country in Africa is more religious than western countries. Why is that? BTW it appears that there would be soon more practising Christians from Africa than in Europe, and more Muslims live there than in South Asia.

I seen programs on Africa and it appears some countries in Africa take Christianity more seriously than even in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Why are Africans tend to be more religious than westerners? It seems just about every country in Africa is more religious than western countries. Why is that? BTW it appears that there would be soon more practising Christians from Africa than in Europe, and more Muslims live there than in South Asia.

I seen programs in Africa and it appears some countries in Africa take Christianity more seriously than even in America
I find the same to be true of the Native Americans that live on the reservations.

Perhaps it is because they have not become to the material things in this world and are more in touch with what really matters. Actually for it to be true that there are more Muslims in Africa than in South Asia you would have to exclude India and Pakistan from Being in South Asia.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM

I meant south east Asia such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

Yes well you may be right as when Europe and America was less materialistic it was more an an Christian society.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
The question is kind of strangely worded.

I think a person of irreligious/secular leanings might say it's a mix of instability and high infant mortality. People in unstable situations often want something stable in their life and religion provides stability. People who lose children are somewhat more likely to believe, or want to believe, in an afterlife. I believe Arthur Conan Doyle was something of a skeptic before his son died.

To be honest I might agree with those reasons somewhat, but see them in a different way than a secularist would. I like the idea that it's because they're less concerned with material things. Another possibility might be a strong sense of community and family as religions tend to have a communal aspect and religious people are less likely to be childless.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I meant south east Asia such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

Yes well you may be right as when Europe and America was less materialistic it was more an an Christian society.
Indonesia has the world's largest Muslim population for a single Nation with 200 million.

But the African continent does have nearly 1/2 of the world's Muslims. With over 600 Million Muslims.

200 million in the Sahara and 400 million in the sub-Sahara.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Indonesia has the world's largest Muslim population for a single Nation with 200 million.

But the African continent does have nearly 1/2 of the world's Muslims. With over 600 Million Muslims.

200 million in the Sahara and 400 million in the sub-Sahara.
Ironically, Africa has some of the worst human rights violations of anywhere in the world.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM

In Africa Large majorities in all the countries surveyed say they believe in one God and in heaven and hell, and large numbers of Christians and Muslims alike believe in the literal truth of their scriptures (either the Bible or the Koran). Most people also say they attend worship services at least once a week, pray every day (in the case of Muslims, generally five times a day), fast during the holy periods of Ramadan or Lent, and give religious alms (tithing for Christians, zakat for Muslims; see the glossary of terms for more information about tithing and zakat).

Indeed, sub-Saharan Africa is clearly among the most religious places in the world. In many countries across the continent, roughly nine-in-ten people or more say religion is very important in their lives. By this key measure, even the least religiously inclined nations in the region score higher than the United States, which is among the most religious of the advanced industrial countries.
Islam and Christianity in Sub-Saharan Africa - Pew Research Center

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
This may be neither here nor there, but I have always observed that while the Colonizers (Europe) is distancing itself from religion (namely Christianity) nowadays, the formerly Colonized (Africa, the Caribbean, South and Central America) are still steeped in the outdated legacy of the Colonizers.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Ethiopia was never colonized, except for a decade under Mussolini, so there's at least one exemption to that as Ethiopia is as religious as the others.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Ethiopia was never colonized, except for a decade under Mussolini, so there's at least one exemption to that as Ethiopia is as religious as the others.
True and their experience is a little more unique than those of other African nations if the Kebra Negast is based on some factual basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality