Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Like Atheists To Do?
What they're currently doing is fine 29 45.31%
I want them to be more polite in discussions 24 37.50%
I want them to become more humble and accepting 14 21.88%
I want them to quit removing "God" from the public square 8 12.50%
I want them to be quiet and never admit their disbelief in public 2 3.13%
I feel they must start believing in God, if they don't I won't trust them 3 4.69%
Other (Explain) 9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM

33,534 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Why does faith deserve respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM

165 posts, read 138,903 times
I'd like them to quit pretending they believe in God, and come out and be vocal about their true beliefs.

I'm convinced that atheists and agnostics are the quietest majority in the country. Scientific polls have us at about 16% of the population. That's BS. It's a LOT more than that, but there is fear and intimidation from the religious wing that makes it difficult to admit you don't believe.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
I'd like Atheists to respect my beliefs as much as I respect their lack of belief. I'm not saying all Atheists are disrespectful, I'm just saying the one's that are disrespectful really get on my nerves. We're all human and equally deserving of respect.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
To be consistent in their application of what does and what doesn't constitute evidence of intelligent design. As it stands there is a an unscientific, illogical, glaring double standard which is false to both cogent reasoning and the scientific method.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
To be consistent in their application of what does and what doesn't constitute evidence of intelligent design. As it stands there is a an unscientific, illogical, glaring double standard which is false to both cogent reasoning and the scientific method.
Huh?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I'd like Atheists to respect my beliefs as much as I respect their lack of belief. I'm not saying all Atheists are disrespectful, I'm just saying the one's that are disrespectful really get on my nerves. We're all human and equally deserving of respect.
I really have no sympathy for "people of faith" who are tired of living with people who have no faith in a mythical God or Christ. You've had things your way in this country for far too long, and trampled on the rights of the non-religious to be free from religion. Some rudeness is, frankly, your just desserts.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
I would like them to enjoy their "Quiet", it is what they will look forward to for their version of eternity.

I don't preach what I believe to everyone I know, think they should do the same since they believe in "Nothing" to start with.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
Quote:
Huh?

Elementary Reading
http://www.english-online.org.uk/theread.htm

Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
I think it would be more purposeful in discussions for atheists to be more thorough with the philosophical implications of what they take to be axiomatic. Of course, everyone should be too. But the atheist stance is quite rife with complex ramifications and I seldom see them acknowledged, much less addressed. Therefore I voted for humility, a trait we should all embrace.

I would like to hear definitive statements rather than "atheists don't believe in God, and that's final." It's not final. It defines so much more, but the declaration always means to close the door to further investigation. I'm disgusted by the idea of some here that philosophy is silly and meaningless (and I could do some quote mining on this forum that expresses that very sentiment). Philosophy is quite the opposite. It is rigorous and logical.

I've also noticed in the Atheist Joke thread that atheists don't poke fun at themselves too much, or ever. Catholics make fun of Catholics. Jews make fun of Jews, Mormons make fun of Mormons, etc. Methodists make fun of Methodists. (I don't get a lot of their jokes, though. Something to do with potlucks?)

Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Other...

We atheists need to become more visible and less intimidated by the public's disdain. But we need to work at being less abrasive when doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality