Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Written by the Jews who don't even believe it themselves. If somebody came up to you telling a tale involving virgin birth with a supreme being as the father, walking on water, turning water into wine, healing leprosy by touching, raising from the dead, feeding thousands with two fish and five loaves, resurrection etc., You might think they were ready for the funny farm.

What is it that makes this collection of stories more believable than other ancient tales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Written by the Jews who don't even believe it themselves. If somebody came up to you telling a tale involving virgin birth with a supreme being as the father, walking on water, turning water into wine, healing leprosy by touching, raising from the dead, feeding thousands with two fish and five loaves, resurrection etc., You might think they were ready for the funny farm.

What is it that makes this collection of stories more believable than other ancient tales?
Because it's in the b-i-b-l-e. If it were in another book, it would be dismissed as "new age" or a "cult". There are so many other things that happen yet no one notices because well, if it's not in the bible, it's not true.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
if it's not in the bible, it's not true.
I'll try to remember that.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I'll try to remember that.
My son and I have this thing that when we do something that we know isn't in the bible, we tell each other that we're going to burn in hell. We do take it too far sometimes but it's so fun!!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
My son and I have this thing that when we do something that we know isn't in the bible, we tell each other that we're going to burn in hell. We do take it too far sometimes but it's so fun!!
My son's three kids are in a K-12 Christian school. They received a presbyterian sprinkle when they were six months old. He and I avoid any semblance of a conversation involving religion...even metaphors.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
You might find this interesting. Though it's specifically about the miracles of Jesus, it highlights at least one reason why the story goes on 2000 years later: People within one generation of the described events, and within the lifetime of some witnesses, believed it to be true.

The Miracles of Jesus: A Historical Inquiry

Yes, it's from a Christian source, but it's doubtful we'd find it from a non-believing source, isn't it? Just as we would not expect to find a scholarly dissertation attesting to the reality of Jesus from a non-believing source, conversely, we should not expect to find one debunking Him from a believing source either.

The truth often lies between the extremes and true, dispassionate, completely objective research is rare on any subject but especially in religious matters. The point is that we should never categorically reject evidence based upon the perception of the author because kernels of truth can be found in unexpected places.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You might find this interesting. Though it's specifically about the miracles of Jesus, it highlights at least one reason why the story goes on 2000 years later: People within one generation of the described events, and within the lifetime of some witnesses, believed it to be true.

The Miracles of Jesus: A Historical Inquiry

Yes, it's from a Christian source, but it's doubtful we'd find it from a non-believing source, isn't it? Just as we would not expect to find a scholarly dissertation attesting to the reality of Jesus from a non-believing source, conversely, we should not expect to find one debunking Him from a believing source either.

The truth often lies between the extremes and true, dispassionate, completely objective research is rare on any subject but especially in religious matters. The point is that we should never categorically reject evidence based upon the perception of the author because kernels of truth can be found in unexpected places.
We have messages from Jesus Himself proclaiming that most of the miracles aren't true. He explained each of them. The water into wine thing is that He just went to the nearest market and bought some. Walking on water was that He was in shallow water and when they boat was pulled along side Him, it seemed as if He was walking on the water. Many others but you get the idea. People turned them into something because they wanted Jesus to be God.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
We have messages from Jesus Himself proclaiming that most of the miracles aren't true.
We do? That's the first I've heard of that!

When did he deliver these messages, to whom and how?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
We have messages from Jesus Himself proclaiming that most of the miracles aren't true. He explained each of them. The water into wine thing is that He just went to the nearest market and bought some. Walking on water was that He was in shallow water and when they boat was pulled along side Him, it seemed as if He was walking on the water. Many others but you get the idea. People turned them into something because they wanted Jesus to be God.
The Jewish historian Josephus barely mentioned Jesus in his volumous writings. Seems to me a son of god could have done better.

We need to face it. The Roman emperor Constantine came along and saved the fading Christian faith about 350AD. He even captured the pagan holidays for Christmas and Easter. Those holidays were in place and very celebrated by the general populous and Constantine evidently realized that using those would help restore the Christian faith. Anyway...Rome hasn't done bad if you study the entire picture.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
We do? That's the first I've heard of that!

When did he deliver these messages, to whom and how?
Actually, no it isn't. My ministry is based on those messages and those beliefs are all over this forum.

If you read only the bible, you probably have not read any of His messages. If you are in search of Truth and go outside the box, you will find them. His second coming is those messages as He stated in the early 1900's to James Padgett through channeled messages. Jesus continues today revealing more of God's Truth's to those who wish to know, those who are open minded enough to step away from organized religions and live a life based on Love and not do's and don'ts of the material man who wants to control.

In those messages from Jesus, the Apostles and other Celestials such as Moses, Aaron, Adam and Eve, and even presidents, queens and movie stars. They reveal Truth because that is all they know and they have made corrections to the bible as to what is and isn't true and what was left out that should have been put in there. They tell of the spirit world and what to expect. How the Laws of God work and what happens to most people who have not taken the time to learn of the spirit world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality